The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

268 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap.

I was taken to the back room by the hiring manager and was asked about my experience and very easy questions such as "What is an example of great customer service?". Several employees walked in during in the interview which was very distracting.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me a time where you worked with a team and was successful? And why.   Answer Question

The location was too far from my house and school, and just not worth the amount of gas I would be paying each week.

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

You have to apply online and send your resume in. The different stores all have access to your information and will call you if there is a spot needed. if they like you then you get an online scenario test then they will call to set up and interview. Interview you have to put together outfits

Interview Questions
    • Putting together an outfit for a specific type of customer   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

Applied online a week later got a call to be apart of a group interview. It was 11 people interviewing, it was a tad bit awkward and intimidating. Ask standard question nothing to difficult.

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in February 2010.

The interviewing process was okay. Everyone seemed very well put together and was very nice. The management team was very responsive and the staff is always friendly. Overall i received a lot of positive feedback throughout the interview process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I went to the mall, walking store to store to see if they were hiring. As I entered GAP I happened to run into the manager, introduced myself, and asked if they were hiring. They took down my name and number, told me to apply online, and said they will call for an interview in a week.
    The application process was easy, although I was scared because GAP would be my first job. It gives you a place to put your resume and asks you situation questions. I recommend reading the job requirements before doing the application because they helped me learn GAP goals.
    After not getting called back for a week, I decided to call to see if the position was still opened. I called at 8:00pm, an hour before closing, and said I was "doing a followup to check the status of my application." The hiring manager was not there so they took down my name and number, and around noon the next day I got a call to come in for an interview.
    The interview process was definitely interesting. I wore a dress with a cardigan and sandals, and to be honest I feel a bit too dressed up. However the hiring manager told me she loved my outfit and that GAP loves dresses. The questions were simple at first, from "Tell me about yourself?" "What is your avaliability?" "Why did you chose the GAP?" and "Tell me about your previous work experiences." However, I was a bit thrown off when asked to describe and try to sell my outfit to the manager, although I think I did well. I recommend talking a lot about community service even if you don't have work experience, as GAP does a lot to give back. I also read up on policies and things GAP does such as support workers right, women's wages, service and being green. I have to say the biggest curve ball was being asked to grab a walkie, stand in front of the store, and pretend to be an employee. I was terrified and didnt know what to do, so I cleaned, greeted customers, and asked the manager if he needed help as he was walking past with a handful of clothing. Although I thought the interview went well overall, the last part scared me to death. I was told I would be called in a week.
    I was soooo stressed after the interview, as it had been my first, yet I knew I tried my hardest and felt comfortable with the laid back yet professional work enviroment I had experienced. Thankfully I recieved a call after 6 days asking if I would accept the job for 8.50$ and hour and was invited for orientation the next day.
    Overall, I feel that GAP is a great buisness with much to offer, even as a first job for younger people. The workers I met have all been kind, funny, and hard-working, and the managers have all been friendly and are not mean or snobby. I cannot wait to start my new job and wish the best in the process for all of you looking this up because you're freaking out as much as I was!

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself"
      "What hours would work for you?"
      "Why did you chose the GAP?"
      "Tell me about your previous work experiences"
      "Try to sell your outfit to me"
      **"Pretend to be a Gap employee"
        Answer Question
    I settled for 8.50$, did not even try to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

I applies for Gap Kids online, and got a call back about 2 1/2 weeks later. My first interview was with the Assistant Manager, myself, and another applicant. She asked us to interview each other for 3 minuets, so definitely look at some interview questions before going in. This interview lasted about 30 minuets. At the end of the interview, the Assistant Manager asked us to come in the next day to have a second interview (mine was one on one with the Manager). The second interview was a lot easier and less nerve-wrecking because it was mostly an overview of the first interview, going over my resume, discussing the job duties, and a few simple questions about availability.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time where you worked with an authority figure (boss, teacher, etc.) who you didn't get along with, and one who you did get along with.   Answer Question
    I didn't negotiate because the starting pay rate was a lot higher than I expected ($9.75/hr.)
    Note: This job is at Stanford Shopping center so I'm not sure if the pay rate is the same in other locations.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wembley, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wembley, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

My experience when interviewing for the gap was great. The Hiring manager was warm, friendly and welcoming. I was asked fun questions about fashion about my personality and to put together outfits. Overall the team seemed energetic, positive, and a young group working together to reach targets. As a graduate student looking for a part time job it was definitely a positive place to learn some different skills and have fun as well!

Interview Questions
    • There was not really a difficult question. The most surprising task was to put together an outfit for a specific person and event.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Florence, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Florence, AL

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

It took them about a month to get back to me. I applied online. The interview process was with the manager and one other worker. I interviewed with another person. The questions were pretty much easy common questions. I made sure I knew knowledge of a gap and how i would describe myself.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was: How would you describe your style?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in May 2014.

I was in a group interview with six other people and the hiring manager. She asked a lot of typical interview questions that were listed in the other posts. The interview consisted of the manager asking questions, and whoever wanted to contribute would contribute. Everyone had an equal chance to answer each question. There was only one question that everyone had to answer, which was why we chose The Gap.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview, the manager told us to go out into the sales floor and create an outfit for a specific scenario.   Answer Question
    It was my first job, and I am content with the salary, so I did not try to negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap.

Easy questions. Just about making decisions. Just keep in mind it's all about making the customer happy and doing the right thing. Sometimes it's a group interview, which is a lot easier. Smile, speak clearly, and relax. Don't kiss a**. They're looking for a hard working and smart employee.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with an angry customer?   View Answer
    Accept the offer if you have nothing to do.