The Gap

Getting the Interview

233 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap in December 2012.

Interview Details – You fill out the application online, they'll usually call within a couple days to set up an interview. The meeting is pretty casual, they ask questions like why you want to work for Gap and how fashionable you consider yourself - the usual. In my case, they called me back the same day with an hourly pay offer

Interview Question – If I consider myself to be fashionable or not - I think I am, but what if they don't?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They offered the wage that I asked for - so don't lowball it on your application, ask for what you want - but be realistic. I had no retail experience and got my 8.25, so don't ask for 9 without experience, etc

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – love the place, the team ,the environment

Interview Question – never any difficulties   Answer Question

Denver, CO

I interviewed at The Gap in January 2010.

Interview Details – Applied. Got a call back. Had a one on one interview. Interview was pretty standard. "Why do you want to work for Gap" etc.

Interview Question – How would you get a customer to open a gap card?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Got called a few days after I submitted my application for an interview. I got there a little early and walked around the store until they were ready to interview me. They went through some scenario questions and then asked me about myself. They also asked about previous jobs and what my availability would be. Then they told me about the job in more detail and told me what I'd be doing if I were hired. A few days later they called and offered me the job. I had to fill out some paperwork and was working in a few weeks.

Interview Question – The questions weren't really all that difficult. Some required some thought like "what is an example of bad customer service?" It was surprising that they'd ask that since obviously they want good customer service. Also they asked questions about what to do if someone is shoplifting and warning signs of it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Yonkers, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online, and walked into store to give my name, I got called back a week or so later. There was a group interview and a one on one interview, which were both easy going and relaxed.

Interview Question – I was asked what i could do do contribute to this company and what have I done in the past that I could do for them   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a wage that I we did not agree on, but i was given the option to call back and reconsider. I called back an accepted the wage.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details – The online application was very long and took at least 2 hours. After submitting the online application I was called in for an interview that lasted less than 20 minutes. I was hired immediately and began working the next day.

Interview Question – I was asked why I wanted a part time job even though I was already employed somewhere else.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't have the opportunity to negotiate a price.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Very nice interview done by first a sales lead but it was more like a screening interview to get a feel of my personality then another more serious interview by another sales lead followed by a last interview by a customer experience manager. Basic questions about who you are, what your planning to do if you were to get hired and your availability. For me the hiring process was pretty fast I was had two interviews one each day and was hired on the third.

Interview Question – Nothing I can recall it was a very easy interview   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and after a few months a friend of mine who was working there referred me to the hiring manager and I finally got a call for an interview. I showed up a few minutes late and was afraid they'd tell me to go home (the building was impossible to find!). But they didn't and the woman who interviewed me was so nice and professional. Professional, professional, professional. Those were the only words I could think of during and after the process. She asked me basic questions about my goals, why I liked Gap and how i would describe my dressing style. The interview lasted 15 minutes and the next day I got a call back asking when I could start.

Interview Question – What do you like doing most?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They did not dispute the amount I was asking for.

Hillsdale, San Mateo, CA

I applied online and interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – It wasn't as scary as i thought it was going to be. The first interview is done in a group, essentially they want to see if you will stand out with that group, how you contribute to the group and overall how you work in groups. The manager hosting the interview will bring out certain topics like what do you like about the company, why do you think your a good fit, where do you see yourself in 5 years..etc. If you make it past the first interview, you will than be asked to come back for the second interview which will be with the main manager. This will be a one-on-one interview that will cover pretty much what was covered in the first interview, but will focus more on yourself, your availability, your goals and your strengths and weaknesses.

Interview Question – you get about 5 minutes to put different women outfits together for different occasions, and than explain why you chose them.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – it was simple, when they called me after to offer me the job they told me the salary they offered, and i accepted.

Very Easy Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. 3 or 4 weeks later I get a call saying come in for an interview. It wasn't a group interview (thank God.) It didn't even feel like an interview. Very relaxed; felt as if I was talking to an old friend. The only question I was asked was "why do you want to work here." After that it was easy sailing. Started talking about the traffic. THE TRAFFIC! Was called back an hour after my first interview to come in for a second interview a few days later. Same routine. One question then laid back conversation. Called that Monday and offered me the position.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work here?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really. I got what I asked for.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap