The Gap Sales Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

264 interviews

2.2

264 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in April 2014.

I applied online at the website. About a week later, I got a call to interview the next evening at the store. The first interview was with the assistant manager and another associate. It was very informal, and they all seemed really friendly. Group interview. Questions included why this company, what do you think is the most important skill needed in this position, tell me about a time where you had to work as a team. I got called in for a second interview with another assistant manager. I was asked about availability, about times when I had to deal with a difficult customer, and other stuff. Was told I was going to be contacted a couple days later.

Interview Questions
  • Stand up and try to sell me the outfit you're wearing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boca Raton, FL

interviewed at The Gap in March 2012.

Very easy interview process. Common sense questions that are not difficult to figure out the appropriate answer. It was done on a bench in the middle of the loud mall. Not very professional or intimidating. Anyone with work experience can get through the interview process with no problem.

Nothing

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2013.

The interview was a group interview and the manager was laid back, which made the other laid back and unfortunately most of them became unprofessional. I recommend you still stay professional, don't ever interrupt the manager and answer the questions honestly.

Interview Questions
    • I think it was "Tell me why I should hire you"   View Answer
    There wasn't a negotiation phase, I took the offer as it was

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

This was the first job I ever had and was the time when online applications was starting to boom. I went to the store and spoke to a manager who referred me to the site with a code also. I made an account and filed out the application. After a few days no one called so I called them and scheduled an interview. The woman who interviewed me was really nice and we went to a coffee shop across from the store to have the interview. It was kind of awkward but included your typical "Tell me about yourself and your hobbies," questions. So after that awfulness she told me I was a sure hire but she still had to background check me. (No drug test required at the time.) Of course no one called for two days so I called them and the woman who interviewed me went of town. But when she came back we talked and badda boom badda bang I had a job.

Interview Questions
    • Every interview includes "Tell me about yourself." Which for me is essentially the most difficult question because I don't like to talk about myself (at least not out loud). But all they really want is to know that you are well established and can communicate. The best thing to do for this question is to think of what you're going to say beforehand. Think of something prominent in your life (i.e. your mom, siblings, drama class, football team, cheerleading) and make up a little script about it and how that's important then throw in other little details about things you do or things that make you (i.e. you're a master braider, best Barbie dress maker, spelling bee champ) and wah - lah you started a long conversation and probably passed the interview at this point.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Group interview (about 10 people). Everyone took turns to answer the question. The interview was about an hour long. All questions were situation-based and personal experience-based.

Interview Questions
    • You had to try to sell what you were wearing to the interview. Yes, that means getting up and presenting your outfit!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dawson, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dawson, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Very upbeat, enthusiastic, really friendly and want to get to know you.
    The initial interview is a little awkward because its a group interview so it feels much like a cattle call,
    the second interview was still group but only 2-3 people and after that i received a phone call with a job offer. I do know that the way they tell you they aren't interested is kind of off putting because its just a postcard in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation of lying or stealing involving a fellow co-worker or management team memeber?   Answer Question
    There really wasn't much of one; because i was a broke college student happy to jsut have a stable paycheck; as low as it was.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

They called me around a week after I submitted my application asking for a phone interview. It was basic questions but also questions about what style magazines do you read? What is your favorite trend during different seasons, etc.

Interview Questions
    • They asked if you would be able to sell a Gap Card and seeing as I didn't really know what that entailed it was difficult to answer but all the questions were pretty basic.   Answer Question
    They start you off around 8.00 but I was able to negotiate higher. Pretty chill and were willing to work with you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Job postings were located on the Gap website under employment. You would search for the area and/or store number of the Gap you wish to apply to, compete the online survey and personal questionnaire, and finally attaching and submitting your application. Pretty straight forward group interview, the assistant manager brought up a scenario and listened to each individual answer on how we would handle said scenario.

Interview Questions
    • A co-worker walks into the store and greets you and continues to walk to the stock room. Moments later, he leaves the stock room and you notice he is wearing a different shirt he was initially wearing going into the room. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Group interview followed by 1 on 1. Interviewed by manager for the department applied for. Basic questions about retail experience, customer service skills and why you want to work for the company

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in September 2010.

Dropped off my resume to the store and they called back a week later to set up an in-person interview. The interview took place in the store and the interviewee asked questions about customer services and sales experience.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was rather easy, as they did not ask any difficult or behavioral questions   Answer Question
    They called me back about a week later and offered me the part-time position. I was asked to come in, with the required documents, to start the training process a week later.