The Gap

233 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2012.

Interview Details – The location was very disorganized. The location was a Gap Kids/Baby Gap. It was common to see few to no employees in major areas of the store. The supervisors had me call multiple times to schedule and reschedule my interviews.

Interview Question – How would you convince a parent to buy something for their child?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The work environment was not professional or organized.

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – mostly group interview with around 6-8 people. mainly basic questions such as rude customer scenarios etc.

Interview Question – how to deal with rude customer yelling at you ;)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotion available

Orlando, FL

Interview Details – For me, I was in a group interview and luckily I really stood out during my interview due to the fact that I was the only blonde woman in my group. I just turned 18 and had no retail experience what so ever and this was my second chance at an interview after getting shot down at Zara. In the group she they wanted to know a lot about us and just customer situations like if someone asked you if the jeans were too tight or if it looked too tight how would you respond to that. I persnonally did my own research on the company and acknowledged that Gap mainly focuses on the basics or the bread and butter of what the company was made of: their jeans. And I just tried to seem super out going and show that I had a lot of energy because that's what Gap and really any employer wants, so I just made myself out to be really engaging with customers and giving them a great experience that will keep them coming back to your store.

Interview Question – I think the most difficult question I was asked was that very, "If something looked too tight on a costumer what would you do?" and I just said that I would offer to bring the next size up and ask them which one they feel more comfortable in but know that at the end of the day they're going to get whatever pants they want or neither regardless of your input so just do your best.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate really only because it was my first job and I had NO experience what so ever so I didn't feel entitled to it.

Seattle, WA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap in September 2012.

Interview Details – Was asked in for a group interview for a seasonal holiday position. Asked questions about difficult situations, best customer experience, best fashion advice, favorite fashion, ect. Just smile and be energetic, detail oriented, and super customer oriented and they'll love you.

Interview Question – nothing really   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Was offered something above min wage and took it, then was hired past holiday

Las Vegas, NV

I interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Interview Details – Called by phone for group interview. Be prepared to start looking for an outfit.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at gap?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had to be 18

Carbondale, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap in August 2009.

Interview Details – Went for a group interview at the Gap store I applied to. We met in the mall where the store was, at a little seating area in the hallway. There was me and three other applicants. Two managers asked us questions off of a printed off list that they had (the questions were pretty standard) and gave us each a chance to answer each question. One manager wrote down the answers. They called me about 30 mn. after the interview and offered me the job. They hired one other person from that interview.

Interview Question – They were all pretty standard/easy. One girl mentioned that she sometimes felt like she had to step in for her current manager and they didn't seem to like that answer too much   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

The Woodlands, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in November 2012.

Interview Details – I got a phone call from them about two weeks after submitting an application. They spoke to me on the phone and asked me to come in that same day. When I came in they pretty much just told me what the dress code was and told me to come in to start the next week.

The actual application did include an IQ test and a personality/skill test.

Interview Question – I didn't actually go through a normal interview process, so I'm not really sure.   Answer Question

Las Vegas, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Very swiftly. We had a group interview outside in the cold but the hiring manager was really fun, definitely helped calming everyone's nerves. Only 3 or 4 questions job related. When the interview was over we met the General Manager. After that, it probably took around 2 weeks to receive a call, once I received the call it only took a couple of days and I started working.

Interview Questions

• Have you seen a friend or coworker taking money or any property from previous employers? What did you do or what would've you done?   View Answer
  • If someone comes to you saying they lost their luggage at the airport and need an outfit for tonight; How would you dress that person?   View Answer

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – The interviewer asked me a few questions about myself before asking me to make an outfit and then transition it from day to night with a five item minimum. The call back interview with the general manager was basically the same questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied as soon as the job appeared on the jobs career site, and 3 days after applying I got called into an interview, and 3 days after the interview I got the job.
Very simple really. Complete an application, do an interview, and wait for the background check.

Interview Question – Take an item out of your bag and sell it to me.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap