The Gap

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
260 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Oakbrook Terrace, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in November 2012.

Interview Details – The hiring process begins online, there's no type of in-store application. Although you could try and speak to a manager and try to score some brownie points with them before applying.

The interview was fairly easy, straight forward behavioral and circumstantial questions. I only answered about 3 questions before the manager said I was perfect for the position.

Interview Question – It didn't happen in my case, but depending on the hiring manager at the time you may be asked to go out onto the floor and assemble an outfit you think someone would buy.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Before the offer is official, the manager will ask you if the the schedule you provided in your application is current and if it is not then when can you work. If the schedule fits the needs of the company then they will hire you on the spot and tell you when to return for orientation.

London, England (UK)

I interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

Interview Details – Group interview, had to go out in store and pick out an outfit for a customer that was described to us within a set budget.

Interview Question – Why did you pick those shoes?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Roseville, MN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – You apply online. I waited about a week before I received a call back from Gap. I was then scheduled for a group interview. Apparently they really needed people because we were all hired a few days afterwards. I received a call and the manager offered me a job. I would say that the group interview was not too difficult. She asked us to talk about ourselves, talk about an experience with customer service, and why we wanted to work at Gap. Overall, it was an easy interview process.

Interview Question – I would say all the questions were pretty basic and to be expected.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered me a wage that worked in my range and offered me hours as well. Very quick and easy.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in June 2013.

Interview Details – First applied online during seasonal hiring time. Depending on when you apply, they either contact you within 2 weeks, 6 months, or not at all. Contacted within 2 weeks during high-peak seasonal hiring (i.e. Christmas season). Contacted within 6 months for summer season (after I applied in December). Also have friends who were not at all contacted, though unsure of what is behind the interview selection process.

Basic behavioral group interview. After basic intros giving a little info about our backgrounds/past jobs, we were left alone for ~5-10 minutes to do one-on-one interviews with one other interviewee to hear why they believe they are qualified for the job. Once the hiring manager returned, we went around the room "advertising" why we thought our partner interviewee was qualified. I am guessing this has dual purpose to inform the manager about interviewee while also judging the presentation of presenting interviewee for basic communication skills.

Next part of group interview involved behavioral questions and other basic questions. Some included:
Why do you want to work at Gap?
What do you do to keep up on fashion trends?
When was the last time a friend asked you for fashion advice? (and explain what you responded to them)

Last part of the interview was being assigned a specific type of outfit to style (i.e. for sunny day out at the park, for ladies' night, etc.) using the merchandise sold at the store.

Called back within ~1 week that I got the job.

Interview Question – How would you describe Gap's style?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, this is a minimum wage job

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – After completing the online application, which included an assessment, I was contacted by the general manager to schedule an interview. At the interview, she was very prepared and had read my resume, which we discussed. At the end of the interview, she explained that she had roughly twice the number of candidates to interview as she had open positions. I was contacted about a week later and offered the job. Training consisted of filling out the usual paperwork, watching training videos from corporate, assembling outfits in Baby Gap, and trying on jeans to understand cut and fit.

Interview Question – What is the difference between customer service and selling?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap in August 2010.

Interview Details – I feel spoiled for all other career endeavors, because this process was so quick. I applied online for the position on a Tuesday morning, got a call for an interview three hours later, went in two days later to interview, and was offered the position before I left the store. I interviewed with two managers from different departments and after was told to sit and wait for about 10 minutes. When they returned they told me which department they thought I'd fit best in and offered me the job.

Interview Question – How would you change your selling technique when dealing with a male customer versus a female customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Hourly pay wasn't negotiable, as they had a set starting rate. I did have an issue with my scheduling those first few weeks though. I made it clear to the managers when I was hired that I would be starting school in a few weeks and my availability would change, and they understood. However one of them turned their back on that once I started class, saying that my hours didn't meet store needs, and implied that my job was at jeopardy. However it ended up working out, and I stayed for nearly two and a half years.

Arlington, TX

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in July 2012.

Interview Details – Informal. They ask a few questions about yourself and tell you about your responsibilities. It's important to follow up. Sometimes they get busy or lose your application. Call them.

Interview Question – Just basic interview questions. No difficulty.   Answer Question

Long Beach, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in November 2011.

Interview Details – The environment is casual and they do expect you to have a sense of fasion.

Interview Question – How do you keep up with fashion, if at all?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation since it was a part-time job.

Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Interview process took about two weeks, filled out application online, was later scheduled for a group interview. The group interview was fairly easy nothing too difficult, normal questions…why gap? previous experience? I received a call back later that week for a final interview with the store manager. At that point I was already hired based on the group interview, I was asked of my availability and received an overview of the company and hourly wage, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing was really difficult, just be confident, especially in a group interview say something to stand out from the rest of the crowd.   Answer Question

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in May 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview/Individual Interview