The Gap

Very Easy Interview

Inventory Planning Analyst Interview

Inventory Planning Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in November 2012.

Interview Details – Very casual, it was more of an open discussion and learning more about the role and responsibilities. Because I was referred from a previous director, it was a more relaxed interview process.

Interview Question – Why do you want to switch into a different function when you already have experience in it.   Answer Question

Front-End Engineer Interview

Front-End Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Gap in January 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty relaxed. They gave me a few reasonable programming questions for each of JavaScript, CSS, HTML and basic concepts. They were more interested in how I went about solving problems and doing the research needed to complete a task which I find much more telling than obscure or trick programming questions.

Interview Question – As I remember it was data set parsing question finding matched values in a large array.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None as it was a contract position.

Senior Recruiter Interview

Senior Recruiter
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Interview Details – Had a one-hour phone screen with a high-level exec of their talent acquisition team, then met with 4 others onsite; it was supposed to be 5 people but one was called into another mtg. Took about 3-hrs long. No one ever got back to me afterwards. Unprofessional.

Interview Question – Exec. person kept asking the same questions several times hoping to hear a different answer; I reiterated my answers. I understand the need for in-depth interviews but this almost felt a bit like harassing in the way this person repeatedly asked the q's.   Answer Question

Iteration Manager Interview

Iteration Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details – This interview seemed unorganized. I spoke to someone and didn't know a time schedule for my day because no one ever shared it with me. Well she lost track of time and got me into my first interview with hiring manager :20 min late. So that was rushed, the hiring manager was sick coughing and sniffling the entire time. She mostly talked about how great they were at software development and Agile.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult hiring manager mostly talked about how great they were at software development and Agile. To be honest I didn't see anything there that made me feel she was accurate.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I just didn't get the feeling they had a true grasp of Agile software development. I felt if they think this is the greatest dev shop doing Agile then how can I come in and contribute or try to bring changes I can clearly see they needed.

Information Technology Leadership Position Interview

Information Technology Leadership Position
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview with the hiring manager who was new in his role. He briefly explained the role and the skill set they were looking for. He asked a few technical questions and apparently did not like my answer so he decided to be short and curt. I asked him what his top priorities are, he responded with "I don't care to share that with you", and then rambled off some random stuff. Okaaaay.

One of the most pompous and arrogant interviewers I've experienced. There's nothing worse than working for a cocky, self-loathing manager, regardless of your paycheck. No thanks and good luck finding someone to work for you.

Interview Question – How would you describe the different technology layers to protect a network?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Associate
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in April 2011.

Interview Details – Had a one on one interview on the phone, later had a presentation. Overall was good and everyone was very nice, had some difficult questions, but they seem to care about your thought process more than your specific industry knowledge. There are specific industry questions, but even with knowing very little about them, made it to the next round. Overall seems to be a great company.

Retail Management Program Interview

Retail Management Program
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details – Format of interview – Two interviews with a recruiter and a business partner. The interviews lasted between 50 minutes and one hour.

Though I thought the first conversation went well and I really clicked with a business partner, when I went to speak with a recruiter (which happened to be in charge of the whole recruiting/retail management/internship program, I couldn't seem to click with her. She seemed to dismiss my answers, didn't seem engaged in what I said, and did not answer my questions about the position or herself with much enthusiasm.

While I think I could've handled the second interview better, I felt that two interviews back-to-back within the course of an hour was exhausting and nerve wracking, especially given their high positions. If I had passed through this round, there still would've been two more rounds to follow. As much as I love Gap, Inc. their recruiting process is extremely tiring and exclusive.

Interview Question – Given your major, why are you interested in the Retail Management Program?   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

Inventory Planner
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview is a QA format. The questions are standard; what is your biggest strength and weakness, describe a strategy that you implemented that was successful and what metrics do you use to forecast and manage OTB. The format is a cold and doesn't lend itself to understanding the future team you will be working with. Suggestion is to ask an open-ended question that fosters a conversation in order to get to know your future team.

Interview Question – Describe a financial strategy you presented that was not successful?   Answer Question

Associate Visual Merchandiser Interview

Associate Visual Merchandiser
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2013.

Interview Details – 5 rounds of interviews. First via phone call then 4 in person (other visual merchants and design and merchant counter parts). Took about months from beginning to end to hear final results. Some of the interviewers were very low key while a few others were drilling hard questions

Interview Question – I was asked what I would do differently and how I would change how Gap ran it's visual processes? Seeing how it's an entry level role into visual merchandising I was new to this line of work I had no way of answering that.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation seeing that I was new to this line of work

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

Senior Finance Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2010.

Interview Details – Expect a panel interview with 2 or 3 rounds of interviews. Be prepare to give examples of how you do things and solve work related problems. If it involves supervising others make sure you ask questions about the team and how they get along, challenges etc. Gap is a very touchy-feely company that thrives on wanting everyone to be happy. Ask questions at end of interview.

Interview Question – questions about dealing with difficult employees.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You give HR your salary range in advance, not much negotiation at my level.

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!