The Gap

3.1

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Management Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Had a phone screening interview followed by an interview in the office. Primarily behavioral and "fit" questions along with a few definitional questions regarding online marketing such as CPC and CPA meanings and how they fit with an overall strategy. Everything as expected and the interviewer was pleasant. Follow-ups between interviews did take some time, but there were likely many candidates for the position. About a 1.5 months-long process overall.

Interview Questions
    • What process do you take to solve a problem with incomplete data?   Answer Question

Accepted offer elsewhere

Associate Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and the process took a little over a month. I had 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, although I believe I came in more than usual. The recruiting coordinator said most people come in 1 or 2 times and apologized that there were scheduling conflicts. Met with a total of 6 people for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. Just be able to explain your experience and walk through your resume really well. They asked the usual behavioral questions as well as specific questions about your experience for the position. The job description was pretty indicative of the position-related questions they asked.   Answer Question
    The offer was much lower than I expected. I negotiated and got a minimal amount above the original offer. I should have waited a few days and asked them to go back to their compensation analysts.

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Had a one-hour phone screen with a high-level exec of their talent acquisition team, then met with 4 others onsite; it was supposed to be 5 people but one was called into another mtg. Took about 3-hrs long. No one ever got back to me afterwards. Unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Exec. person kept asking the same questions several times hoping to hear a different answer; I reiterated my answers. I understand the need for in-depth interviews but this almost felt a bit like harassing in the way this person repeatedly asked the q's.   Answer Question

Information Technology Leadership Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Had a phone interview with the hiring manager who was new in his role. He briefly explained the role and the skill set they were looking for. He asked a few technical questions and apparently did not like my answer so he decided to be short and curt. I asked him what his top priorities are, he responded with "I don't care to share that with you", and then rambled off some random stuff. Okaaaay.

One of the most pompous and arrogant interviewers I've experienced. There's nothing worse than working for a cocky, self-loathing manager, regardless of your paycheck. No thanks and good luck finding someone to work for you.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe the different technology layers to protect a network?   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

The interview is a QA format. The questions are standard; what is your biggest strength and weakness, describe a strategy that you implemented that was successful and what metrics do you use to forecast and manage OTB. The format is a cold and doesn't lend itself to understanding the future team you will be working with. Suggestion is to ask an open-ended question that fosters a conversation in order to get to know your future team.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a financial strategy you presented that was not successful?   Answer Question

Iteration Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

This interview seemed unorganized. I spoke to someone and didn't know a time schedule for my day because no one ever shared it with me. Well she lost track of time and got me into my first interview with hiring manager :20 min late. So that was rushed, the hiring manager was sick coughing and sniffling the entire time. She mostly talked about how great they were at software development and Agile.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult hiring manager mostly talked about how great they were at software development and Agile. To be honest I didn't see anything there that made me feel she was accurate.   Answer Question

I just didn't get the feeling they had a true grasp of Agile software development. I felt if they think this is the greatest dev shop doing Agile then how can I come in and contribute or try to bring changes I can clearly see they needed.

Senior Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Strong panel and great general questions such as how did i contribute and impact my previous role

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in February 2014.

Communication was clear, interviewer was an hour late. No reason given. No apology, when she finally arrived. Very frustrating process. Went downhill from there. Interviewer seemed confused about who TheGap is as a company.

Interview Questions

They seemed confused about who they are as a company

Inventory Management Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap in January 2014.

Started with a 30 minute screener call with the recruiter, and was invited to come back for an interview/assessment day (as part of the IM Ready program at Old Navy). We were given a set of general interview questions/topics to cover and closer to the date, we were given some pre-work.

In-person assessment day included 1:1 interviews, solos assessments, and a group project/assessment.

The next day was invited back for later in the week for 3 in-person interviews with Senior Manager and Director level folks. Received and accepted an offer the following week.

Be ready to answer questions with concrete examples of when you've used data/analysis in your work. Be as confident and warm as possible. Express your genuine interest in retail, the role, and the company in your own terms.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager/management and used data to support your claim?   Answer Question