The Gap

Average Difficulty
61 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Interview Details – I applied as soon as the job appeared on the jobs career site, and 3 days after applying I got called into an interview, and 3 days after the interview I got the job.
Very simple really. Complete an application, do an interview, and wait for the background check.

Interview Question – Take an item out of your bag and sell it to me.   Answer Question

Change Management Consultant Interview

Change Management Consultant
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me via phone and followed up with an email. The email included the job description

Interview Question – How do you initiate a change management program when there is no any senior management support   View Answer

San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2013.

Interview Details – One on one interview. The lady was really intimidating, and it threw me off. I did horribly on the interview, and she only asked basic questions.

Interview Question – They were all pretty easy   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

Inventory Planner
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed over the phone and in person with several different people. They really take the time to get to know who they're hiring to make sure personalities and work styles mesh, but also to make sure they're hiring competent employees.

Interview Question – What transferable skills can you bring to the table?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me less than I wanted, but I asked for more and they got back to me a few days later with a more acceptable package.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call within a couple weeks. I started with a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was scheduled for an in person interview. I came in once and interviewed with five different people. They were all wonderful. I heard back within two weeks. The hiring manager called to ask additional questions and said she would get back to me within a week. From start to finish it was about a five week process.

Interview Questions

• What is something a previous employer would say is negative about you?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had a deadline you couldn't meet, what did you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I unfortunately didn't negotiate. I realize now that I've worked for the company I should have. They definitely low ball their offers for people under Sr. Director level. Sr. Director and above they offer the highest they can with their budget for the most part.

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in September 2009.

Interview Details – I interviewed twice. I was brought in by someone that I had known in a previous company.

Interview Question – There was no difficult question.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, on hiring bonus, but not so much on salary.

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2012.

Interview Details – Lenghty. I had a couple of telephone interviews and a final face-to-face interview. The entire process took 4-6 weeks.

Interview Question – What is your weakness   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It started as a six-month contract assignment with a possible extension

Manager Interview

Manager
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in June 2012.

Interview Details – Sent in a resume and was contacted for a phone screening.

Interview Question – Focus on my resume and lack of retail experience.   Answer Question

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online and got called for a group interview two weeks later. The manager who conducted the interview was VERY energetic and so the interview was fairly fun and easy. We were interviewed for about an hour in the stock room. There was a group of 4 of us and we all pretty much got hired on spot as long as our background check cleared.

Interview Question – Describe a time how you handled a difficult situation.
What is your favorite fashion trend?
Describe a situation when you had to break the ice.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The pay was fair.

Very Difficult Interview

Retail Management Program Interview

Retail Management Program
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2008.

Interview Details – Referred in by current Gap Inc. Merchandise Manager; recruiters at select universities only (not mine). Participated in three rounds of in-person interviews: behavioral, project-based, and all-day event including a case-based group interview, two individual interviews with senior management, and a retail math exam. Final round included evening welcome event, as well as sponsored airfare, hotel, and meals. Unspecified but very low acceptance rate -- at least 60 attendees at final round.

Interview Question – What brand should Gap Inc. create next? Create a presentation including business plan, target customer, competitors, merchandise and store design inspiration visuals, and financial outlook.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hired as part of a class of 15 employees - no negotiation / standard hiring salary and terms.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap