The Gap Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.1

65 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Managerial Position At Corporate Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I recently considered making application for a position at the San Francisco Corporate Office of the Gap.

Considering the international scope of the position and related issues concerning this position (I was aware of being a San Franciscan who held an identical position at another San Francisco Corporation) I needed more information prior to making a full application...

I'm not being too detailed about the position as it might comprimise my current position.

I found the recruiter's contact information and emailed him asking for additional details concerning the position including amount of international travel as an example. I could find no number to contact him, but after getting snubbed twice I did not think it was worth the effort.

I've never had this experience before but I got no reply nor answers to my questions, I contacted the recruiter again and still no reply so I decided not to bother making a formal application.

I recently had a similar experience with another San Francisco corporation for essentially the same position with them. In that instance I got an immediate reply with the information I needed even on a Saturday as the recruiter's at the other company are far more professional than at the Gap. This only soured me more on the Gap as a potential employer.

I think part of the problem is the Gap has always been youth oriented, some of their corporate jobs require a lot of experience which I have, yet they seem so concerned with their youthful image I think one reason was I'm a very experienced older manager and did not fit their youthful ajenda. If you are ever in the corporate office you will have seen what I'm discussing here.

My take on gthe Gap is they are unprofessional in their recruiting efforts and unrealistic in their ajenda for screening of applicants.

Should you be young and pretty you probably can get a job there, if you are older and experienced you might get the run around in making application which is why I'm writing this to warn you...

Interview Questions
    • Not Applicable as i did not proceed after the insult...   Answer Question

Sample Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Had a phone interview with an HR recruiter which was pretty basic and casual. I was just asked about my current position and background. I was then asked to send my availability over so that they could schedule an in-person interview at the photo studio. I met with the account manager and assistant account manager and was asked basic interview questions. The interview lasted 30-45 minutes and I was told that HR would contact me the following week.

Interview Questions
    • What do you dislike most about your current position?   Answer Question
    • What was the most difficult situation you have been faced with at work and how did you solve it?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you were faced with a deadline that you knew you could not meet?   View Answer

Inventory Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap.

phone interview then in-person panel interview. phone interview was very straightforward. the person asked for my background and what an inventory analyst would do. the panel interview consisted of analytical questions like "what would you do if you were to allocate x amount of clothing in an area?" they just want to see your thought process and analytical ability.

Interview Questions
    • analytical question was a bummer. they give you a situation and the past sales performance data and want to see your approach the problem. i'd say really know retail math concepts.   Answer Question

Assistant Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2011.

I completed Gap Inc's Retail Merchandise Program ("RMP"), which I highly recommend, I had a very positive experience with the program. Upon completing RMP, they set up a few interviews for different positions available. There were one or two interviews for each, usually a 2 on 1 and sometimes also a 1 on 1 with a VP. Some were really relaxed, others had a few tough questions. I think the most important thing is to show your interest in the position/team/product, and to come prepared with thoughts on the business (strengths, competitors, market opportunities)

Interview Questions
    • What's something we could be doing better? Who do you think is our biggest competitor?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

I applied as soon as the job appeared on the jobs career site, and 3 days after applying I got called into an interview, and 3 days after the interview I got the job.
    Very simple really. Complete an application, do an interview, and wait for the background check.

Change Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Gap in July 2013.

Recruiter contacted me via phone and followed up with an email. The email included the job description

Interview Questions
    • How do you initiate a change management program when there is no any senior management support   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in April 2013.

One on one interview. The lady was really intimidating, and it threw me off. I did horribly on the interview, and she only asked basic questions.

Inventory Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in April 2012.

Interviewed over the phone and in person with several different people. They really take the time to get to know who they're hiring to make sure personalities and work styles mesh, but also to make sure they're hiring competent employees.

Interview Questions
    • What transferable skills can you bring to the table?   View Answer
    They offered me less than I wanted, but I asked for more and they got back to me a few days later with a more acceptable package.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in August 2012.

I applied online and received a call within a couple weeks. I started with a phone screen. The phone screen went well and I was scheduled for an in person interview. I came in once and interviewed with five different people. They were all wonderful. I heard back within two weeks. The hiring manager called to ask additional questions and said she would get back to me within a week. From start to finish it was about a five week process.

Interview Questions
    • What is something a previous employer would say is negative about you?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a deadline you couldn't meet, what did you do?   Answer Question
    I unfortunately didn't negotiate. I realize now that I've worked for the company I should have. They definitely low ball their offers for people under Sr. Director level. Sr. Director and above they offer the highest they can with their budget for the most part.

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in September 2009.

I interviewed twice. I was brought in by someone that I had known in a previous company.

Interview Questions
    Yes, on hiring bonus, but not so much on salary.