The Gap

62 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inventory Planner Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

Interview Details – The interview is a QA format. The questions are standard; what is your biggest strength and weakness, describe a strategy that you implemented that was successful and what metrics do you use to forecast and manage OTB. The format is a cold and doesn't lend itself to understanding the future team you will be working with. Suggestion is to ask an open-ended question that fosters a conversation in order to get to know your future team.

Interview Question – Describe a financial strategy you presented that was not successful?   Answer Question

Associate Visual Merchandiser Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2013.

Interview Details – 5 rounds of interviews. First via phone call then 4 in person (other visual merchants and design and merchant counter parts). Took about months from beginning to end to hear final results. Some of the interviewers were very low key while a few others were drilling hard questions

Interview Question – I was asked what I would do differently and how I would change how Gap ran it's visual processes? Seeing how it's an entry level role into visual merchandising I was new to this line of work I had no way of answering that.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation seeing that I was new to this line of work

Loss Prevention BPO Interview

South San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at The Gap in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was emailed and asked to be available for a phone interview. I took they day off from work/worked from home. The recruiter "Jason" never called. Did not email. Nothing. Wasted my day.

A Past interview with Old Navy was just as bad. Nailed the phone interview and was told I would be scheduled to meet with the hiring manager. Again, never heard from them again. No response to my email.

Interview Question – Typical questions   Answer Question

Senior Finance Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in May 2010.

Interview Details – Expect a panel interview with 2 or 3 rounds of interviews. Be prepare to give examples of how you do things and solve work related problems. If it involves supervising others make sure you ask questions about the team and how they get along, challenges etc. Gap is a very touchy-feely company that thrives on wanting everyone to be happy. Ask questions at end of interview.

Interview Question – questions about dealing with difficult employees.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You give HR your salary range in advance, not much negotiation at my level.

Inventory Management Analyst Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Gap in January 2014.

Interview Details – Started with a 30 minute screener call with the recruiter, and was invited to come back for an interview/assessment day (as part of the IM Ready program at Old Navy). We were given a set of general interview questions/topics to cover and closer to the date, we were given some pre-work.

In-person assessment day included 1:1 interviews, solos assessments, and a group project/assessment.

The next day was invited back for later in the week for 3 in-person interviews with Senior Manager and Director level folks. Received and accepted an offer the following week.

Be ready to answer questions with concrete examples of when you've used data/analysis in your work. Be as confident and warm as possible. Express your genuine interest in retail, the role, and the company in your own terms.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you disagreed with your manager/management and used data to support your claim?   Answer Question

Senior Producer Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Strong panel and great general questions such as how did i contribute and impact my previous role

Interview Question – Forward thinking strategy for systems and leadership.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at The Gap in April 2013.

Interview Details – First round phone interview

Interview Question – mostly basic java questions   Answer Question

Copywriter II, Gap North America Online Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in December 2013.

Interview Details – Overall, I felt my entire interview process for the Copywriter II, Gap North America Online position was unprofessional. After submitting my resume and cover letter to the company, I received an email from an internal company recruiter three days later. The recruiter scheduled the phone interview for the week after next. I sent an email to the recruiter confirming the upcoming interview and receiving a phone call.

On the phone interview day, the recruiter failed to contact me. I waited for thirty minutes to receive a call. During this time, I did not receive an email from the recruiter notifying me of any delays or a request to reschedule the interview. Since I did not receive any communications from the recruiter, I decided to call. The recruiter did not have time to interview. As a result, the phone interview was rescheduled to occur two days later.

The second phone interview attempt was not good. After waiting for approximately fifteen minutes, I received an email from the recruiter notifying me of a delay; the recruiter promised to call me once their phone call was completed. The recruiter did fulfill this promise and called me for a phone interview.

When the recruiter called me for the phone interview, I was quickly notified they did not have time to speak with me and only had twenty-five minutes for the interview. I was asked "to read through my resume and provide my knowledge on the Gap brand." At first, I was confused with the request due to the abrupt manner in which it was asked. While wrapping up a summarized overview of my resume, I was abruptly stopped by the recruiter before providing my knowledge on the Gap brand. The recruiter emphasized that my background contained no exact retail industry experience. I tried providing a few counter examples regarding my writing and e-commerce experiences, and their correlation to the position, but this did not help. The recruiter offered to keep my resume and ended the interview.

Through this interview, I learned that one will have a difficult time being offered a corporate position if they do not have exact retail industry skills on their resume. I do not feel that candidates with excellent transferable skills, related to open positions, are given an opportunity to provide a valuable perspective to the company. However, I would encourage anyone to give their application process a try because it could change with time.

Interview Question – I only have twenty-five minutes to interview. Read me your resume. Tell me what you know about the Gap brand?   Answer Question

Senior Planner Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in November 2013.

Interview Details – i was called by a recruiter and it took 2 week. interview was a panel interview with two managers and it took 30 minutes

Interview Question – what would be your suggestion for one of Gap's store?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – First phone interview is very basic. Then they give you a project that you need to present which they say takes 8 hours of work. The project description is listed below. They get back to you in about 2 weeks. I wouldn't spend as much time on the project if I had to do it again. Don't focus on how much money they will make with the idea.

Interview Question – For the project- What brand would you create at GAP.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 62 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.