The Gap

Updated Feb 14, 2015
Updated Feb 14, 2015

IT Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

I met with six different people during the day. The interview questions were very straight forward with a lot of time spent on people telling me about the job, what they did and asking "tell me about yourself." Not a lot of meat in the interviews.

I was a former employee and actually found that to be a disadvantage because people don't realize how much has changed since you left and therefore, tend to under explain things. They also tend to be more chatty and I didn't feel like I got a chance to show my accomplishments like I do in other interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think Gap's new international initiative will impact your job?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at The Gap in February 2015.

Applied online, recieved an email a few days later, came in for a super easy and quick one on one conversation and was offered a job! Very casual interview. Dress similar to the store Gap itself, but it is up to you. Interview is like a conversation, they want to get to know your personality more than anything else.

Interview Questions
    • What is one of the best and one of the worst experiences youve had with customer service?   View Answer
    • How do you keep up with fashion trends?   View Answer

Retail Management Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

Initial half hour phone screening, standard behavioral based questions. Next round was a project to complete. They give you 7 days to create a new brand to introduce to their portfolio, covering everything including product assortment, business strategy, and financial plan. Did not move on past this round due to insufficient market research for new brand. Project was very time-intensive. Final round in home offices in San Francisco.

Associate Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Recruiter contacted me through Linkedin and the process took a little over a month. I had 2 phone interviews and 3 onsite interviews, although I believe I came in more than usual. The recruiting coordinator said most people come in 1 or 2 times and apologized that there were scheduling conflicts. Met with a total of 6 people for onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any unexpected questions. Just be able to explain your experience and walk through your resume really well. They asked the usual behavioral questions as well as specific questions about your experience for the position. The job description was pretty indicative of the position-related questions they asked.   Answer Question
    The offer was much lower than I expected. I negotiated and got a minimal amount above the original offer. I should have waited a few days and asked them to go back to their compensation analysts.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap in August 2014.

Had a phone screening interview followed by an interview in the office. Primarily behavioral and "fit" questions along with a few definitional questions regarding online marketing such as CPC and CPA meanings and how they fit with an overall strategy. Everything as expected and the interviewer was pleasant. Follow-ups between interviews did take some time, but there were likely many candidates for the position. About a 1.5 months-long process overall.

Interview Questions
    • What process do you take to solve a problem with incomplete data?   Answer Question

Accepted offer elsewhere

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

To apply for a job as sales associate for Gap, I first did a lengthy online application that asks usual questions, such as past experience, and then asks you scenario questions and gives you options on how you would handle the situation. It took the store about 3-5 days to call me and set up an interview. The first interview took place at a table in the store, with about 13 other applicants. The group was split in half and the hiring manager went around each person in the group and asked questions about why we like the brand, how we would describe our style, and what we looked forward most to if hired. Then, she described a customer for the group and gave the group 10 minutes to run around the store so each applicant could pick an outfit that best fit the needs of the customer. Then, the group would come back to the table and describe their outfit and why they chose what they did. For the second interview, a smaller group of about 6 people met at the same table and got asked questions by another manager. These included where we had last shopped, reviewing what had been asked in the last interview, and then opened it up for questions. The second interview lasted 10 minutes at most. I was offered a position and salary two days after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult task was choosing an outfit, but mostly because you were under pressure to choose something unique yet served the same or similar purpose as your fellow applicant's outfits.   View Answer
    As a sales associate with little experience, I didn't negotiate at all and it was clear that I was not expected to negotiate my starting wage.

Senior Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Gap in June 2014.

Had a one-hour phone screen with a high-level exec of their talent acquisition team, then met with 4 others onsite; it was supposed to be 5 people but one was called into another mtg. Took about 3-hrs long. No one ever got back to me afterwards. Unprofessional.

Interview Questions
    • Exec. person kept asking the same questions several times hoping to hear a different answer; I reiterated my answers. I understand the need for in-depth interviews but this almost felt a bit like harassing in the way this person repeatedly asked the q's.   Answer Question

Information Technology Leadership Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Had a phone interview with the hiring manager who was new in his role. He briefly explained the role and the skill set they were looking for. He asked a few technical questions and apparently did not like my answer so he decided to be short and curt. I asked him what his top priorities are, he responded with "I don't care to share that with you", and then rambled off some random stuff. Okaaaay.

One of the most pompous and arrogant interviewers I've experienced. There's nothing worse than working for a cocky, self-loathing manager, regardless of your paycheck. No thanks and good luck finding someone to work for you.

Interview Questions
    • How would you describe the different technology layers to protect a network?   Answer Question

Inventory Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

The interview is a QA format. The questions are standard; what is your biggest strength and weakness, describe a strategy that you implemented that was successful and what metrics do you use to forecast and manage OTB. The format is a cold and doesn't lend itself to understanding the future team you will be working with. Suggestion is to ask an open-ended question that fosters a conversation in order to get to know your future team.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a financial strategy you presented that was not successful?   Answer Question

Iteration Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Gap in March 2014.

This interview seemed unorganized. I spoke to someone and didn't know a time schedule for my day because no one ever shared it with me. Well she lost track of time and got me into my first interview with hiring manager :20 min late. So that was rushed, the hiring manager was sick coughing and sniffling the entire time. She mostly talked about how great they were at software development and Agile.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult hiring manager mostly talked about how great they were at software development and Agile. To be honest I didn't see anything there that made me feel she was accurate.   Answer Question

I just didn't get the feeling they had a true grasp of Agile software development. I felt if they think this is the greatest dev shop doing Agile then how can I come in and contribute or try to bring changes I can clearly see they needed.