The Gap

Updated Feb 3, 2015
Updated Feb 3, 2015

1.8

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap.

Applied online. Got a phone call within a week from the store manager asking me to come in for an interview. A few days later, before I had met the manager in person for the interview, I got another phone call saying that our first 5 minute phone conversation counted as my "interview" and that I could come in for training. The process and manager seemed chaotic and unorganized.

Interview Questions
  • The only question I was asked was about my availability during the holiday season.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Gap

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Gap.

Applied online. Received a phone call 2-3 weeks later saying I had an interview the following Monday. On Monday I received a call that went to voicemail that morning saying the interview was cancelled and they would call me back "later" to set up another time. I returned the call to confirm I had received the message.

6 weeks go by. Never heard from them. I did not bother to contact them again because I did not want to seem desperate, and I was not desperate for the job. I thought if they were interested they would have just hired me, so they probably found someone else. Still annoying to be left on the hook like that.

But one day, somewhere in the middle of week 6, I get a call saying they'd like to interview me the following day. I go to the interview, seriously took less than 10 minutes and was mostly an explanation of the company and store. Only question I remember being asked is what my sense of style was and how I got it. I was also asked about availability. I was told I was a good fit and they would see how many people they were hiring and if there was room for me, they'd run a background check and hire me. I didn't expect to hear from them again, my last 3 interviews at other companies had said the same thing at the end, just to kinda let me down easily.

A week later I got a call saying I had the job and needed to come the next day to fill out paperwork. We set up a time, and I arrived in the store only about 1 minute late. I waited 20 minutes for the assistant manager, and filling out the paperwork took 30 minutes. Then, I was told I'd be called over the weekend with a time to train before the holiday rush, probably sometime the following Monday, which was 4 days before the rush.

Sunday afternoon and I had not heard anything. So I called, and was told they'd have a time Monday morning at 9:00 a.m.

Monday morning at 9:00 a.m. I called only to be told I'd be called back later with a time I could train with a few other new-hires.

Monday at 4:30 p.m. I had not heard, so I called back. They were shocked I hadn't been called, but then again no one else had either. I was told I'd be called "later."

Monday is over now, still waiting to get a time to be trained. If the work schedule continues on in this fashion, I will be resigning probably after the first paycheck, if I ever see one. I cannot put everything in my life on hold everyday because I "might" have to work. It's ridiculous.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected or difficult questions, only asked about sense of fashion.   Answer Question
    $8.50/hr for seasonal sales associates, raises post holiday season.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at The Gap.

It was a group interview, we were told to first pick out an outfit for a blind date occasion. We were then taken to a room and asked to share why you picked that outfit. After that, there was two hiring managers there to ask everyone questions such as, what the gap means to you, share a good customer service experience and wheres your favorite place to shop and why. For the interview, it was very casual and fun, the managers were really nice and funny. I wore jeans, heels, and a gap sweater and gap blazer with accessories. They said the starting salary was 9.00 and hour.

Interview Questions
    • What the gap means to you, share a good customer service experience, and explain what good customer service means to you, explain a situation where you had to deal with a difficult customer and how you handled it, and wheres your favorite place to shop and why.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online online, and got a call the next day but had missed the initial call. After calling and leaving my name I received a call a week later asking for me to come in an interview a couple days later in the afternoon. I went in and there was another person being interviewed with me, The interview last a half hour and was held in the backroom. All the questions were regular interview questions, and the manager was really nice and made the interview comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your work experience.
      What are two words to describe you?
      Do you keep up on fashion trends?
      What would you call your style?

Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

The application was longer than I thought it would be. It requires basic info, name, DOB, etc, but then you have to take their assessment to see if you are right for the position. It was okay though, it almost felt like an interview. it gives you different situations with five different responses and you say if you would do or wouldn't do that response, then you pick the worst and best response.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer wanted to return an item later than policy allows, and then gets violent/loud when you say it is against policy?   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

The process took two days. I walked in the store and asked if they were hiring. The manager asked me to come in the next day for and interview and I got hired on the spot. I was actually expecting a group interview, but I ended up having a one on one interview. The questions were pretty simple, such as "Describe the position you held at your last job." "Why do you want to work at The Gap?" "What do you hope to gain from The Gap?"

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular was difficult. She did ask if I had any questions, so perhaps have something planned to ask.   Answer Question
    I named my price and she accepted. It will help if you mention how the company is raising its minimum wage in 2015 to $10 an hour.

Anonymous Employee in Tulare, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Tulare, CA

I applied online – interviewed at The Gap in November 2014.

I applied online got a call about 3 days later to come in for a group interview in 2 days , came in walked to a private room with the manager interviewing myself and 3 other girls.

Interview Questions
    • What are your past job experiences?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if you saw someone stealing?   View Answer
    • What would you do on a slow day?   View Answer
    • What would you do if a friend asked to use your employe discount?   View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap.

I arrived ten minutes ahead of my scheduled interview time, and told an associate I was there for my interview. I waited 15 minutes after my interview time and the manager finally came around to apologized for the delay because their was an error in scheduling I had my interview with a different manager. I was told to pick out two outfits one that represented myself and another outfit I would dress someone else. During the actual interview I explained my choices and advertise well. It was a group interview, but I felt comfortable during the process as my interviewer was friendly and engaging.

Interview Questions
    • Is it more important to achieve team goals or individual ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Gap in October 2014.

I was called 2 weeks after I submitted an online application. During the phone call I was assesed. Regarding why I want to work for the company, availability, etc. She told me she'd like me to come in for an interview. The following saturday. It was a group interview. I wore jeans, boots, a button up and pullover sweater. I answered all questions. Out of the group of 10, myself and another girl were immediately offered the position.

Interview Questions
    No need. Salary was great!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huntsville, AL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Gap in October 2014.

I put in my application online on Friday night 10/24/2014. I got a call the next day from the manager and asked me if I could come in for an interview on Wednesday 10/29/2014. I went to the interview, and it was another interviewee and I with the manager. She asked us both to tell her about ourselves, such as where we're from, where we've worked, etc. After that, she gave us a quick tour of the store, and asked us if we had any questions. The whole interview lasted maybe 20 minutes. She said she would call us the next day to let us know. She didn't call on Thursday, so I called on Friday, and I had just missed her. I followed up with her on Saturday, and she said she would call me on Monday or Tuesday because they were very busy over the weekend. I got a call today, Tuesday 11/04/2014, saying that I had received the job and to come in on Friday 11/07/2014 to go ahead and start filling out paperwork. I am starting as a seasonal employee, but there is a possibility to stay on after the season depending on how I do.

Interview Questions
    • Honestly there weren't any difficult questions. It was the easiest interview ever, very relaxed and conversational for a whole 15-20 minutes!   Answer Question
    Started out a decent pay rate, so didn't feel the need to negotiate.