The Gap

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – Submitted application about two days later I received a call for the interview. Questions were not hard just seemed like a conversation.

Interview Question – What does The Gap meant you?   Answer Question

Carlsbad, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I got a call shortly after applying asking if I was interested in an interview at the location. The interview turned out to be a small group interview, and the mood was very relaxed. The hiring manager was young and could easily relate to the applicants (all less than 25 y/o). The questions were pretty straightforward...generally what I expected. Emphasized my proven ability to be a team player based on participation in sports. Was also careful to smile for the majority of the interview - I think that really helped based on the orientation videos that repeatedly tell you to smile! Overall it was an easy interview - everyone there was hired.

Interview Question – Nothing too surprising:
Give me an example of a recent occasion where you received great customer service (name the store, what happened, did you report it?).
Give me an example of a recent occasion where you received poor customer service (name the store, what happened, did you report it?).
What do you do if you have a problem with another team member?
What do you do if you realize you made a mistake?
  Answer Question

Santa Barbara, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – It was a group interview.

Interview Question – Trying to sell a item of clothing that you were wearing.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Gap in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online. The interview was very casual and the questions were very straightforward.

Interview Question – What kind of music do you like?   Answer Question

Troutdale, OR

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from Emily, then was given a scheduled group interview the following week. There were 6 others we were asked why were here and in a group interview you all take turns answering, its interesting what some some people say at interviews:0
After the question within the group we were individually taken aside to play a scenario and try to sell a credit card, also asked to go pick out an outfit for a 11 year old. I am 28 and was probably the oldest one there it felt more for teens.

Interview Question – Questions were simple
why gap
what's your favorite season
whats exceptional customer service
how do you keep up to date on fashion
why did you choose this attire today
  View Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap.

Interview Details – I applied online then received a phone call from a hiring manager the next day. I was then asked to come in for a group interview later that week.

The interview process was slightly different from reviews I have previously read. On the day of my group interview, only a handful of prospective employees were present, which made for a more intimate and personable group interview process. Our hiring manager informed us that the group interview process may be a little rough, as corporate was instituting changes to the interview process (I believe it was new questions, and additional background information on the company, its culture, and community work).

At the conclusion of our group interview, our hiring manager informed us that they were satisfied with our group interview to the extent that we may forgo the follow-up interview pending a background check. I received an offer for employment the next day.

Interview Question – Why Gap?   Answer Question

North Dartmouth, MA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Gap in October 2013.

Interview Details – Got a call the day after I applied and went in to the interview the day later. Interview was very generic and short, took fifteen minutes. Manager said she'd call me next week regarding her decision. When I went home and checked my email, already had a rejection email. When I checked the time, it was ten minutes after my interview had ended.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Gap in September 2013.

Interview Details – applied on Saturday 10/5/2013 received a call on Monday 10/7/2013 a short phone interview...questions asked were " how do i accept feedback" and " tell me about a difficult scenario"

Interviewed at The Gap

Interview Details – Great summer sales job. Interview with store manager was very laid back, standard questions for the type of position. Interview took approximately 15 minutes and I received the offer immediately afterward. I came back to work a few subsequent summers, and the hiring process was even more abbreviated (just an online application).

Interview Question – None were too difficult.   Answer Question

Seasonal Sales Associate

I interviewed at The Gap in October 2012.

Interview Details – Submitted application online then received a phone call for an interview a week later. Interview was at the store. Very easy and informal interview.

Interview Question – They had us go pick out and sell an outfit to the manager based on a given scenario. Super easy if you have any sense on how to match colors then you have no problem. Do not stress this interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none they just determine a wage based on your experience.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Gap

Worked for The Gap? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Gap Seasonal Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Gap employees and interview candidates.