The Garland Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

3.4

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Garland Company (Cleveland, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a really good I connected well with both of the recruiters that I dealt with. I had numerous talks with my main recruiter about the position, company, what to expect etc. They were up front with me about the difficulty of the position (which I new the industry already). The compensation package put together was also nice, with a draw for the first couple years until you really get your feet going. In my current position I travel a lot, so they worked with me on helping to select the right date to meet around my schedule. I declined because I wasn't quite ready to leave my current company.

Interview Questions

• A few questions on how you would respond to different situations, normal sales stuff that good people should be able to answer.   Answer Question

Territory Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Garland Company (Cleveland, OH) in May 2015.

Interview

Very detailed application. After finishing all sections you have a good idea if you are right for this job or not. You first have a phone conversation, then if they are interested, you must apply online to the job specific application. after submitting the application you wait to hear back from a Garland employee to see if you have made it to the next step in processes.

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Garland Company.

Interview

It was a terrible experience. First I had to drive 2 hours to interview, I arrived on time and had to wait 45 minutes before they came down to bring me up to the room(thought it was weird they interviewed in the room). The guy kept talking about how they "Always: put him in presidential suites and just bragging, really annoying. So during my interview they asked a few generic questions about my background and why I am looking to make a change. My old company was being bought out and one of the managers excused himself to handle his stocks because he did not know that was happening. Anyway, towards the end he said "you tested 90% on being a leader and 90% on the overall test"(a 3 hour test they make you take before being employed). Then he goes on to say "My top reps only scored 50% on these tests, you belong in more of a leader position, this job is not for leaders". So sitting there in complete shock, the interview ended. Long story short, if you are a 50% type of person, this job is for you, its obvious they do not want the top reps out there. Been #1 over 500+ employees for some time now. If you are an over achiever, STAY CLEAR of this company. I proceeded to contact the companies recruiter and asked him "wouldn't a company want people who in the 90% range, not under achievers?" He mumbled and did not have much to say other than " I will talk to them and see how it went and get back to you". Well, as expected, the coward never got back too me. WHAT A BIG WASTE OF TIME!!! They had my test scores prior to interviewing me and seems they had their minds made up, seriously do not waste your time. I have NEVER had an interview like this.

Interview Questions

• Sell me this pen. Why are you looking for a knew postion. What are your goals in the next 5 years.(do not say become in a managerial role, because your interview will end right then, do not ask why)   1 Answer

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Garland Company.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me and setup a phone interview. After the phone interview, a face to face interview was set up in their training center in Cleveland with the recruiter for 30 minutes. Then I met with the General Manager and was told to tell my life story. They had 2 more candidates to interview. The process from start to finish took less than two weeks. I did not receive an offer but would recommend this company to others. Overall a very positive experience

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself a wheeler dealer?   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? Tell us what makes you tick   1 Answer

Territory Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Garland Company.

Interview

It was very lengthy but, all part of the process. had various phone interviews and a personality quiz leading up to face-to-face. The response was prompt after face-to-face to then meet with Regional Manager as final step. Offer was proposed at the completion of that meeting but, was held up roughly 3 weeks from starting which was fine as I was already currently employed.

Interview Questions

• -What business books have you read recently? -If a great customer of yours, on a Saturday called and really needed you to meet him as he was dealing with some heavy stuff, would you? What if it was your son/daughter's 7th birthday party?   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Interview

Multiple interviews with recruiters and managers. Met in multiple locations with management. Seemed very professional and straight forward. They are looking for self starters and people who can work on an island. If you can not, then this is not for you.

Interview Questions

• Do you think that you can draw a circle better than me?   1 Answer

Anonymous Title Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Garland Company.

Interview

The interview process was a little long, but worth it. It was later explained that because they are employee owned they don't hire people to work there, but they hire people to share the "ownership" responsibility.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if I gave you $50,000 cash with no strings attached and no one knew you had the money...not even your spouse.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Minimal and quick negotiation.

Genera; Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Garland Company (Garfield Heights, OH) in April 2014.

Interview

My experience was extremely similar to the review from May 9th. I actually went through reviews just to make sure I wasn't crazy lol. Recruiter was rude, but it was clearly his tactic to see how you'd respond.... Why? I'm not sure... You are selling the company just as much as I am... For instance, he critqued my resume and told me that I looked more desperate than impressive on paper and asked if I needed a boss to excessively compliment me in order to have positive self-esteem. Really bad area of town. You have to park in a lot then walk across the street... I interviewed after lunchtime and in broad daylight and I was intimidated. As a young lady, I would not feel comfortable in winter months when sundown is at 5. Was a referral and still did not receive any type of correspondence after the interview. In my professional opinion, rude. I wrote you a Thank You the least you could do is give me a written "no". I know I interview well (I received 3 job offers out of college following this interview), so I knew that this company was a poor fit and would not be accepting the position anyway, but still - not appropriate. I still want to know how all these employees are so content with the company. They basically brag about their low pay and lack of spending on things like technology (and judging by the aesthetic of the exterior and interior, investing in the building). There was paperwork all over the office I interviewed in... It looked so frazzled and unkept. Someone please ask if their assessment test is valid... Like at all. It was on a scantron.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were expected. All catch you off guard... Things like "Why didn't you work for a better GPA?"   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Interview

I've had a few phone interviews, and they have been very honest, reliable, and i'm excited about the next step.

Corporate Opportunity Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Garland Company (Cleveland, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

I had three separate interviews and all three went well. The first was offsite with the recruiting team and the second two were at the corporate facility (plus a phone conversation with someone that wasn't available when I was in the office). I was impressed with everyone I met and felt they painted a fair picture of the role.

Interview Questions

• Everything asked was pretty position specific and for the most part was directly related to the role available. There was discussion around the Employee Stock Ownership Plan as well as the base salary plus bonus approach to the role I was interviewing for. We also talked some about external activities around volunteering.   1 Answer