The Garland Company Interview Questions

Updated Mar 5, 2015

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Garland Company

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Garland Company.

It was a terrible experience.
    First I had to drive 2 hours to interview, I arrived on time and had to wait 45 minutes before they came down to bring me up to the room(thought it was weird they interviewed in the room). The guy kept talking about how they "Always: put him in presidential suites and just bragging, really annoying. So during my interview they asked a few generic questions about my background and why I am looking to make a change. My old company was being bought out and one of the managers excused himself to handle his stocks because he did not know that was happening. Anyway, towards the end he said "you tested 90% on being a leader and 90% on the overall test"(a 3 hour test they make you take before being employed). Then he goes on to say "My top reps only scored 50% on these tests, you belong in more of a leader position, this job is not for leaders". So sitting there in complete shock, the interview ended.

Long story short, if you are a 50% type of person, this job is for you, its obvious they do not want the top reps out there. Been #1 over 500+ employees for some time now. If you are an over achiever, STAY CLEAR of this company.

I proceeded to contact the companies recruiter and asked him "wouldn't a company want people who in the 90% range, not under achievers?" He mumbled and did not have much to say other than " I will talk to them and see how it went and get back to you". Well, as expected, the coward never got back too me.

WHAT A BIG WASTE OF TIME!!! They had my test scores prior to interviewing me and seems they had their minds made up, seriously do not waste your time. I have NEVER had an interview like this.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me this pen.
      Why are you looking for a knew postion.
      What are your goals in the next 5 years.(do not say become in a managerial role, because your interview will end right then, do not ask why)

View Answer

Territory Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Garland Company.

Recruiter reached out to me and setup a phone interview. After the phone interview, a face to face interview was set up in their training center in Cleveland with the recruiter for 30 minutes. Then I met with the General Manager and was told to tell my life story. They had 2 more candidates to interview. The process from start to finish took less than two weeks. I did not receive an offer but would recommend this company to others. Overall a very positive experience

Interview Questions
    • Do you consider yourself a wheeler dealer?   Answer Question
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you? Tell us what makes you tick   View Answer

Territory Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Garland Company.

It was very lengthy but, all part of the process. had various phone interviews and a personality quiz leading up to face-to-face. The response was prompt after face-to-face to then meet with Regional Manager as final step. Offer was proposed at the completion of that meeting but, was held up roughly 3 weeks from starting which was fine as I was already currently employed.

Interview Questions
    • -What business books have you read recently?
      -If a great customer of yours, on a Saturday called and really needed you to meet him as he was dealing with some heavy stuff, would you? What if it was your son/daughter's 7th birthday party?

Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Multiple interviews with recruiters and managers. Met in multiple locations with management. Seemed very professional and straight forward. They are looking for self starters and people who can work on an island. If you can not, then this is not for you.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think that you can draw a circle better than me?   View Answer

Anonymous Title Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Garland Company.

The interview process was a little long, but worth it. It was later explained that because they are employee owned they don't hire people to work there, but they hire people to share the "ownership" responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if I gave you $50,000 cash with no strings attached and no one knew you had the money...not even your spouse.   View Answer
    Minimal and quick negotiation.

Genera; Interview

Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Garland Company in April 2014.

My experience was extremely similar to the review from May 9th. I actually went through reviews just to make sure I wasn't crazy lol. Recruiter was rude, but it was clearly his tactic to see how you'd respond.... Why? I'm not sure... You are selling the company just as much as I am... For instance, he critqued my resume and told me that I looked more desperate than impressive on paper and asked if I needed a boss to excessively compliment me in order to have positive self-esteem.

Really bad area of town. You have to park in a lot then walk across the street... I interviewed after lunchtime and in broad daylight and I was intimidated. As a young lady, I would not feel comfortable in winter months when sundown is at 5.

Was a referral and still did not receive any type of correspondence after the interview. In my professional opinion, rude. I wrote you a Thank You the least you could do is give me a written "no". I know I interview well (I received 3 job offers out of college following this interview), so I knew that this company was a poor fit and would not be accepting the position anyway, but still - not appropriate.

I still want to know how all these employees are so content with the company. They basically brag about their low pay and lack of spending on things like technology (and judging by the aesthetic of the exterior and interior, investing in the building). There was paperwork all over the office I interviewed in... It looked so frazzled and unkept.

Someone please ask if their assessment test is valid... Like at all. It was on a scantron.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were expected. All catch you off guard... Things like "Why didn't you work for a better GPA?"   Answer Question

Sales Interview

I've had a few phone interviews, and they have been very honest, reliable, and i'm excited about the next step.

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Garland Company in September 2013.

The interview occurred at a hotel in Independence and was basically a cattle call. They had 30+ people coming in to talk to one of many employees they had available, not necessarily the recruiter who called and scheduled you.

The person I met with talked at length about how the company is a sales organization through and through, so they dont pay operations / supply chain people well. The interviewer also stated people get fired for not being responsive to the sales force.

The role maxed out at $49k which seemed very low to me. I think the interview was really a trick to get people into sales positions, as the guy would not stop talking about how his salesmen made $280k average on $1M of sales average. (Make a note any customers reading this!)

It may have been a good opportunity for some, but not for me.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of a phone screen, talk me through your experiences, no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in East Cleveland, OH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Garland Company in January 2013.

Talent scout asked many trick questions and drags you into giving bad answers by saying horrible things about other people with disabilities and how he hates them and then asks you if you ever hated any of your previous coworkers. Interview process was strange and filled with strange questions and followed by a 50 question test that you have 8 minutes to complete. They say they will call you and don't. Building is located in the worst possible location in a bad neighborhood where there are no whites on the streets just you going to an interview. Don't get lost on your way to the office or you could be killed. They interior of the building is worse than the neighborhood around it. They repeat over and over again how the employees own the company and that they do everything they can to not spend their money.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the gaps in your work history? How did you pay your bills and survive? What are you planning on doing with your education since it has nothing to do with the position here? Have you ever hated a coworker? We are all educated professionals who will work here till we die. We do not stop working at retirement age, we work till were dead here. We have all been here for a long time and we all own the company, we don't pay much because that would take away from my pocket of owning the company.   Answer Question

The people that interviewed me seemed to all be under some kind of spell....Stepford Wives? They were strange and two of the people seemed to be flirting more than interviewing me. Location is very dangerous place to work. They have security because they have had problems with tires being slashed and the locals harassing employees going to and from the parking lot. They pay is low and not worth risking your life just for the paycheck.

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Garland Company in February 2012.

The Garland Company is very specific to the types of candidates they hire. They traditionally look for A players that can perform at high levels. My experience was great, from the first phone interview to the final face to face interview...I was treated with respect and was kept in the loop about each step of the process.

Ultimately, they decided to go with another candidate. I was disappointed but feel I had a fair shot of getting the offer. Overall experience was great. Be prepared to answer non-traditional interview questions as well as know why Garland works best for you. They like people who do their homework.

Interview Questions
    • Work ethic...how many hours, what's your schedule, how many appointments, how much new business, etc.   Answer Question