The Garland Company Interview Questions & Reviews

3.4

Genera; Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Garfield Heights, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Garfield Heights, OH

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Garland Company in April 2014.

My experience was extremely similar to the review from May 9th. I actually went through reviews just to make sure I wasn't crazy lol. Recruiter was rude, but it was clearly his tactic to see how you'd respond.... Why? I'm not sure... You are selling the company just as much as I am... For instance, he critqued my resume and told me that I looked more desperate than impressive on paper and asked if I needed a boss to excessively compliment me in order to have positive self-esteem.

Really bad area of town. You have to park in a lot then walk across the street... I interviewed after lunchtime and in broad daylight and I was intimidated. As a young lady, I would not feel comfortable in winter months when sundown is at 5.

Was a referral and still did not receive any type of correspondence after the interview. In my professional opinion, rude. I wrote you a Thank You the least you could do is give me a written "no". I know I interview well (I received 3 job offers out of college following this interview), so I knew that this company was a poor fit and would not be accepting the position anyway, but still - not appropriate.

I still want to know how all these employees are so content with the company. They basically brag about their low pay and lack of spending on things like technology (and judging by the aesthetic of the exterior and interior, investing in the building). There was paperwork all over the office I interviewed in... It looked so frazzled and unkept.

Someone please ask if their assessment test is valid... Like at all. It was on a scantron.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were expected. All catch you off guard... Things like "Why didn't you work for a better GPA?"   Answer Question

Office Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  East Cleveland, OH
    Anonymous Employee in East Cleveland, OH

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Garland Company in January 2013.

Talent scout asked many trick questions and drags you into giving bad answers by saying horrible things about other people with disabilities and how he hates them and then asks you if you ever hated any of your previous coworkers. Interview process was strange and filled with strange questions and followed by a 50 question test that you have 8 minutes to complete. They say they will call you and don't. Building is located in the worst possible location in a bad neighborhood where there are no whites on the streets just you going to an interview. Don't get lost on your way to the office or you could be killed. They interior of the building is worse than the neighborhood around it. They repeat over and over again how the employees own the company and that they do everything they can to not spend their money.

Interview Questions
    • Explain the gaps in your work history? How did you pay your bills and survive? What are you planning on doing with your education since it has nothing to do with the position here? Have you ever hated a coworker? We are all educated professionals who will work here till we die. We do not stop working at retirement age, we work till were dead here. We have all been here for a long time and we all own the company, we don't pay much because that would take away from my pocket of owning the company.   Answer Question

The people that interviewed me seemed to all be under some kind of spell....Stepford Wives? They were strange and two of the people seemed to be flirting more than interviewing me. Location is very dangerous place to work. They have security because they have had problems with tires being slashed and the locals harassing employees going to and from the parking lot. They pay is low and not worth risking your life just for the paycheck.

Sales Interview

I've had a few phone interviews, and they have been very honest, reliable, and i'm excited about the next step.

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Independence, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Independence, OH

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Garland Company in September 2013.

The interview occurred at a hotel in Independence and was basically a cattle call. They had 30+ people coming in to talk to one of many employees they had available, not necessarily the recruiter who called and scheduled you.

The person I met with talked at length about how the company is a sales organization through and through, so they dont pay operations / supply chain people well. The interviewer also stated people get fired for not being responsive to the sales force.

The role maxed out at $49k which seemed very low to me. I think the interview was really a trick to get people into sales positions, as the guy would not stop talking about how his salesmen made $280k average on $1M of sales average. (Make a note any customers reading this!)

It may have been a good opportunity for some, but not for me.

Interview Questions
    • It was more of a phone screen, talk me through your experiences, no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Garland Company in February 2012.

The Garland Company is very specific to the types of candidates they hire. They traditionally look for A players that can perform at high levels. My experience was great, from the first phone interview to the final face to face interview...I was treated with respect and was kept in the loop about each step of the process.

Ultimately, they decided to go with another candidate. I was disappointed but feel I had a fair shot of getting the offer. Overall experience was great. Be prepared to answer non-traditional interview questions as well as know why Garland works best for you. They like people who do their homework.

Interview Questions
    • Work ethic...how many hours, what's your schedule, how many appointments, how much new business, etc.   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 6 months - interviewed at The Garland Company in June 2012.

I was very intrigued with this company's bonus potential of 25% and $75k base salary. However, after numerous interviews, they are looking for a "used car salesman" attitude. You basically are selling roofing repairs using Garland products, then have a third-party roofer do the repair. So needless to say you have to push very hard for the sale, because as recruiter told me you have to convince property owner to pay 25%-40% more than what is market price. The recruiter has never sold anything, so he was very unfamiliar with the sales process,his job was to find someone extremely aggressive in sales--not necessarily a professional salesman. I found the process to be a waste of time, not the typical Fortune 500 interview I'm used to. The warning signs went up for me in the beginning, I was just too intrigued with their promise to make $200k+ in 3 years. No car, no mileage, and no cell phone included with job.

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Garland Company

Worked for The Garland Company? Contribute to the Community!