The Garland Company

Very Difficult Interview

Office Interview

Office
East Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Garland Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – Talent scout asked many trick questions and drags you into giving bad answers by saying horrible things about other people with disabilities and how he hates them and then asks you if you ever hated any of your previous coworkers. Interview process was strange and filled with strange questions and followed by a 50 question test that you have 8 minutes to complete. They say they will call you and don't. Building is located in the worst possible location in a bad neighborhood where there are no whites on the streets just you going to an interview. Don't get lost on your way to the office or you could be killed. They interior of the building is worse than the neighborhood around it. They repeat over and over again how the employees own the company and that they do everything they can to not spend their money.

Interview Question – Explain the gaps in your work history? How did you pay your bills and survive? What are you planning on doing with your education since it has nothing to do with the position here? Have you ever hated a coworker? We are all educated professionals who will work here till we die. We do not stop working at retirement age, we work till were dead here. We have all been here for a long time and we all own the company, we don't pay much because that would take away from my pocket of owning the company.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The people that interviewed me seemed to all be under some kind of spell....Stepford Wives? They were strange and two of the people seemed to be flirting more than interviewing me. Location is very dangerous place to work. They have security because they have had problems with tires being slashed and the locals harassing employees going to and from the parking lot. They pay is low and not worth risking your life just for the paycheck.

Sales Interview

Sales

Interviewed at The Garland Company

Interview Details – I've had a few phone interviews, and they have been very honest, reliable, and i'm excited about the next step.

Interview Question – nothing unexpected   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor
Independence, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Garland Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – The interview occurred at a hotel in Independence and was basically a cattle call. They had 30+ people coming in to talk to one of many employees they had available, not necessarily the recruiter who called and scheduled you.

The person I met with talked at length about how the company is a sales organization through and through, so they dont pay operations / supply chain people well. The interviewer also stated people get fired for not being responsive to the sales force.

The role maxed out at $49k which seemed very low to me. I think the interview was really a trick to get people into sales positions, as the guy would not stop talking about how his salesmen made $280k average on $1M of sales average. (Make a note any customers reading this!)

It may have been a good opportunity for some, but not for me.

Interview Question – It was more of a phone screen, talk me through your experiences, no difficult questions.   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Territory Manager
Sacramento, CA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Garland Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – The Garland Company is very specific to the types of candidates they hire. They traditionally look for A players that can perform at high levels. My experience was great, from the first phone interview to the final face to face interview...I was treated with respect and was kept in the loop about each step of the process.

Ultimately, they decided to go with another candidate. I was disappointed but feel I had a fair shot of getting the offer. Overall experience was great. Be prepared to answer non-traditional interview questions as well as know why Garland works best for you. They like people who do their homework.

Interview Question – Work ethic...how many hours, what's your schedule, how many appointments, how much new business, etc.   Answer Question

Territory Manager Interview

Territory Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6 months - interviewed at The Garland Company in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was very intrigued with this company's bonus potential of 25% and $75k base salary. However, after numerous interviews, they are looking for a "used car salesman" attitude. You basically are selling roofing repairs using Garland products, then have a third-party roofer do the repair. So needless to say you have to push very hard for the sale, because as recruiter told me you have to convince property owner to pay 25%-40% more than what is market price. The recruiter has never sold anything, so he was very unfamiliar with the sales process,his job was to find someone extremely aggressive in sales--not necessarily a professional salesman. I found the process to be a waste of time, not the typical Fortune 500 interview I'm used to. The warning signs went up for me in the beginning, I was just too intrigued with their promise to make $200k+ in 3 years. No car, no mileage, and no cell phone included with job.

Interview Questions

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for The Garland Company? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Garland Company interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Garland Company employees and interview candidates.