The Hartford

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview Details – Behavioral-based interview. Lots of questions about "tell me about a time when" for example "Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer or situation." What happened, how did you deal with it, and what was the outcome. Before the interview write down experiences from other jobs where things went great and other experiences where things did not go great and be able to tell about these things. Look on line at behavioral interview questions to help you prepare.

Interview Question – Explain your own strenghts and weakness.   Answer Question

Windsor, CT

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in June 2013.

Interview Details – Virtual contact center assessment lasting about 30 minutes, was pretty simple, easily navigated and gave a good overview of what a day answering the phones would be like. Brief phone interview with recruiter lasted about 15 minutes. Hour long in-person interview focusing on behavioral questions and your ability to tolerate an extremely micromanaged environment, was with one in-person manager, and one remote.

Interview Question – Why are you seeking a job where you will basically be chained to a desk?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. The contact center is projected to close within the next 10 years as The Hartford is no longer selling annuities.

Santee, CA

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in January 2014.

Interview Details – First applied online, was sent a link to do an assessment that lasted 1.5 hrs. After that I was sent an email asking if I could do a phone interview. Once we agreed on a date, they called me for a 20 min interview. After that was done, I was asked to come for a face to face interview. Had the interview today and was told would take 7 business days to get an answer.

Interview Question – There are other call centers and insurance companies hiring right now. Why did you apply here instead of to the other places?   Answer Question

Santee, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview Details – Applied online, completed a phone interview and an in person interview

Interview Question – No difficult questions, but all were situational questions. For example, "Tell me about a time when you had to deliver exceptional customer service?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate

Customer Service Representative

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview Details – Basically took the same test twice. Once at home and then again in the office. Same questions.

Interview Question – How many book have you read in the last month.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – dont want to disclose

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in January 2010.

Interview Details – Started with a online accessment after the application ended. Mainly math/logic questions along with situational opinions. After that, you get an email telling you if you passed or not and can go back online to set up an in-house assessment. When I got there, I was probably the 10th person of the day to sign in for a test. Waited for about 10 minutes and then was taken back into a room with outdated computers and asked to sign in and take an online test that you have 2 hours to complete, but can be completed in about 45 minutes. Within a week, they give you a call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about a half hour and included past situation questions and how they were handled where they wanted very specific examples. Also, they mention the rigidity of the schedule and make sure that will work with you and ask if you have ever worked a job where they tell you exactly when to leave for lunch and take breaks.

Interview Question – Explain a specific situation where you had an irate customer and what did you do to resolve the issue.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The starting pay and the rigidness of the scheduling.

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in December 2009.

Interview Details – The whole process was very rigourous, but that was nice because I knew that they only hired good quality, smart peolpe who really want the job. I had an online assessment, then an inperson assessment, then a phone interview, then an inperson interview.

Interview Question – If you had to deal with an irrate customer how would you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Hartford

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!

The Hartford Videos

The Hartford – Why Work for Us?

​​Overview​​ ​​​The Hartford spirit is collaborative, collegial, and community oriented because our culture is rooted in shared values. Our employees live the values of integrity, teamwork, customer focus, financial… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Hartford Customer Service Representative interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Hartford employees and interview candidates.