The Hartford

Updated Nov 16, 2014

46 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Operations & Technology LDP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Hartford.

Apply Online --> Phone Interview --> On-Campus Interview --> Home Office Interview

Applied online through my Uni's career services website and through The Hartford's internal career site

Phone interview was a pleasant surprise; had an intern call me from HR asking if I was still interested ~ a week after applying online. A couple of days later, an HR recruiting rep called me to talk about my resume, etc.

On-Campus interview was a typical 1-on-1 sit down and talk style interview. Really enjoyed this one, the recruiting manager for my school was a wonderful guy.

Home Office Interview consists of a tour, a group thing, a 1-on-1, and a case study.

Interview Questions
    • The case study was brutal. I may be a bit biased because I am an accounting major, but the case study seemed to be entirely focused on understanding database information systems. The Hartford considers almost all majors for the LDP, granted you have a somewhat relatable field of interest. They should keep in mind that not all interviewees have educational backgrounds in management information systems. If you don't understand the intricacies of data flow through specific MIS charts, you are most likely going to stumble through the case study.   Answer Question
    Entry-level, so no negotiatiion. Starting salary is generous relative to the state of the economy and whatnot. Graciously accepted.

AARP Customer Service Representative- Auto and Home Insurance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford in May 2014.

Applied online and had an employee referral. Received an email a few days later to set up a phone interview which was scheduled for two days after that. The phone interview was a review of the job and my qualifications, pretty easy. At the end of that conversation I was scheduled for an in person interview the following week. Went to the office the following Monday and met with a manager. The interview was a lot of behavioral questions... make sure you have some examples from previous work experience/schooling. The in person interview took an hour. Dress professionally and be ready to give examples and you should be fine. Everybody I spoke with was very nice and helped me understand the requirements of the position. I received a job offer the following day.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if there were no opportunities for advancement after five or six years?   Answer Question

Agency Care Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Hartford in May 2014.

I applied online and within roughly 90 days I received a phone call from a Recruiting Manager looking to fill a slot for an Agency Customer Service Representative position immediately. I did a phone interview with him for 45 minutes and he gave me an in-person interview for the following day. The in-person interview was hosted by a Billing Manager in-person and an Agency Department Manager over the phone. I was offered the position the next business day. I started two weeks following the offer.

Interview Questions
    • General Interview Questions, they are looking for very specific examples!   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate.

Technology Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hartford in December 2013.

I first found the application for the internship on my school's career website. I completed the application in November, and was contacted shortly after by the company to set up interviews. As I was an out of town candidate, I proceeded with a short phone interview of about 30 minutes with one of the program managers. I moved forward to the next round and had an hour long phone interview with another manager and the program director in December. I was contacted two weeks later and offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • What technology blogs do you follow, or how do you stay current in the technology field?
      What is the most interesting piece of new technology you have read about?

Answer Question
    Not much negotiation. They give a set salary of $20/hr and then decrease it to $17/hr if you require housing for the summer.

Systems Server Administration Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Hartford.

I was a previous vendor to there servers on site and left my company to work for them as a direct System Administrator

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a difficult work situation and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Actuarial Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

interviewed at The Hartford in November 2013.

Applied online and was contacted a few weeks later by someone who wanted to set up a thirty minute phone interview. After the phone interview she asked if we could set up a date that worked to fly me to their headquarters in CT. Went through a series of interviews with members of their actuarial team. Then had a case study that my group had to present to their team. Was contacted a day later saying that I had an offer for the summer of 2014.

Interview Questions
    No. It was pretty set for the internship position.

Technology Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford in November 2013.

Left my resume with one of the program members at an engineering career fair. A week or so later I was called about scheduling an on-campus interview for the very next day. The first interview consisted of mainly standard interview questions as well as a few specific questions about my technical background. I got into the final round interviews on the Hartford campus. This interview consisted of a business analysis case study, which I wasn't very well prepared for as a CS major, as well as a one-on-one interview and a team-oriented problem solving activity. The program description seems geared towards technically-oriented people but I didn't meet anyone during the whole process who seemed to be doing any software work or who even seemed interested in anything but business. I asked for feedback on my interview but got no reply.

Interview Questions
    • What is a technology that has had an impact on your life?   View Answer

Associate Claims Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor, CT

I applied online – interviewed at The Hartford in November 2013.

I applied online and received a response within a couple of days. I first had to do a phone interview that had some pretty standard questions. A couple days later, I went in for an in- person interview. My interview was about a week and a half ago and I am currently waiting for a response.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard, the only one I got that I have never really had before was to explain the difference between business writing and regular writing.   View Answer

Actuary Student Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hartford in September 2013.

HR gave me a call about 2 weeks after I submitted an app online. She scheduled an onsite interview at the end of the phone screening. Onsite interview was in one room with the other five applicants. We were also given a quick tour of the building and did a group case study about cutting funding at in a school district. Lunch with some actuary students and then a presentation regarding pay raise per exam and other ADP program stuff. Pretty surprised that I didn't get an offer, two of the other interviewees were late.

Interview Questions
    • what is the definition of negotiation?
      what is a time when negotiations failed?

Answer Question

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southington, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Southington, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hartford.

They ask you to talk to one manager while your future boss writes a report on you next to the manager you are talking to, very creepy. Then in 2-4 weeks you get a call from somebody in HR you never heard of or hear from again. They set you up for a test to put on head phones and have a computer to speak names to you that you enter in a computer. Then another 2 - 4 weeks they call you and offer you the position - no negotiation. No salary changes - no vacation improvements nothing. Take it or leave it.

Interview Questions
    • All the usual questions, how do you like sales, how do you overcome a hard sale   Answer Question
    non existant