The Hartford

Relevance Date Difficulty

Small Commercial Underwriter Trainee Interview

Small Commercial Underwriter Trainee
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Hartford in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by them in late 2013. This would've been a steep paycut and a stepdown for me, but I was ready to do it because I was excited about entering the P&C market and leaving the healthcare market behind. I expressed this to the 5 different interviewers over the 2 hours I was with them at their office in West San Antonio, but it seemed that my answer was unsatisfactory, because they asked "why are you leaving your position" about 5 different ways, 5 different times. It almost felt like they had made up their minds about me before even walking in, and just needed some filler candidates to reject. (A strategy I've seen firsthand employed at other companies)

Interview Question – Nothing but the standard questions. Google "common interview questions" and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Middle Market Underwriter Trainee Interview

Middle Market Underwriter Trainee
San Antonio, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in April 2013.

Interview Details – The first interview was over the phone by one of the HR reps, approximately 20 minutes, easy questions. The second interview(s) was with 4 managers, 2 each. These interview questions were pretty easy. They asked questions like, "Tell me a little about yourself and how you found out about this position. Why do you want to work for The Hartford? What motivates you?" I was there for about an hour and a half. Then about two hours after I got home, I received an email requesting another interview. I went back the following week and met with 2 more managers, 1 each. The questions were a little more rapid, and structured more to my specific experience as outlined on my resume. They informed me that they still had a few more interviews left, and that by Friday of the following week, the recruiters should be calling with decisions (My last interview was on a Tuesday). As mentioned, the recruiter called the following week letting me know they were very impressed an wanted to extend an offer.

Interview Question – Do you know anyone in the Insurance industry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I haven't received the offer letter yet (just received the phone call today), so negotiation hasn't commenced. However, I would advise that you look up the salary range for the position you are applying for so you can have a leg to stand on when negotiating.

Claims Adjuster Interview

Claims Adjuster
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in December 2012.

Interview Details – very tough. the questions were back to back. It felt like it was a two hour interview.I felt like it was a waste of time.They told me the recruiter would contact me in one or two weeks. I was sent an email saying I didnt get the job.It was a bummer considering I had just finished college four days prior.

Claims Adjuster/Claims Handler Interview

Claims Adjuster/Claims Handler
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in June 2012.

Interview Details – This was by far the best hiring process I have ever been through. Shortly after my phone screening, I received an email to set up an in-person interview about a week later. This interview was with 2 Team Leaders who were very friendly. They asked behavioral questions ("Give me a time when..."), why I wanted the job, etc. Not even an hour after this interview, I received a phone call to set up a second round interview a few days later. This one was with 2 claims managers/supervisors and was more about me and why I wanted the job. They were also very friendly and this interview was much less scripted than the first and was more laid back. About an hour and a half after the second interview I received a phone call from HR with a job offer. I really liked that they were so prompt and didn't give me any time to doubt whether I would get a call back. I enjoyed every interview with The Hartford especially since they were so friendly.

Interview Question – A situational question basically asking whether you would bend/break company policy to help the customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

Underwriter Interview

Underwriter
San Antonio, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford in August 2011.

Interview Details – So, my brother-in-law has a friend that works for The Hartford, so I sent him my resume and a recruiter with The Hartford got back to me within a week. She asked me a few general questions about my current employment status and why I was giving consideration to The Hartford. She then scheduled for me to take an assessment the following week at the San Antonio offices. The assessment, or skills test, took me roughly an hour and a half to complete. It consisted of personality questions, situational questions, how your peers or bosses would assess you, and a few statistics questions. Nothing too difficult. After the test, an HR rep informed me that my recruiter would get back to me by the end of the week (I took the assessment on a Tuesday).

I didn't hear back from the recruiter by the end of the week. I didn't hear back from her until the following week. We scheduled to do a phone interview that Friday. For this interview, she asked me situational questions (i.e., what would you do if...) and specific questions about my work experience. For example, she asked, "Give an example of a time in which you demonstrated influence and leadership" and "Tell me about a time in which you dealt with a difficult colleague..." This all lasted about 20-30 minutes. She said that I "sold myself well" and that she would recommend me for a face to face interview with, presumably, a hiring manager at the San Antonio offices. She told me she'd get back to me the following Monday.

Monday came and went with no phone call. By Wednesday, I gave the recruiter a call. She told me that she hadn't heard back from a few of the managers that she had spoken to regarding my application but would get back to me when she did. Fifteen minutes later, she notified me that these managers got back to her and that they were looking for someone with more experience. If you ask me, it sounds like she was looking for a way to politely brush me off and didn't even recommend me to any of the mangers. If you're a recruiter within the company, this is probably pretty common.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!