The Hartford

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Hartford in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by them in late 2013. This would've been a steep paycut and a stepdown for me, but I was ready to do it because I was excited about entering the P&C market and leaving the healthcare market behind. I expressed this to the 5 different interviewers over the 2 hours I was with them at their office in West San Antonio, but it seemed that my answer was unsatisfactory, because they asked "why are you leaving your position" about 5 different ways, 5 different times. It almost felt like they had made up their minds about me before even walking in, and just needed some filler candidates to reject. (A strategy I've seen firsthand employed at other companies)

Interview Question – Nothing but the standard questions. Google "common interview questions" and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Small Commercial Underwriter Trainee

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Hartford.

Interview Details – Initial communications started through the job connect portal. Went through a series of interviews as well as taking a 1 1/2 hour behavioral questionnaire. One over the phone interview with a recruiter and one interview on site with 2 hiring managers.

Interview Question – Why the aggressive job applications?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight and to the point, took initial offer.

Clinton, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Hartford in December 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out online application. 3 weeks later received online assessment test in my email. Upon completion the recruiter called within 5 minutes to setup a phone interview but I let it go to voicemail. I called back later in the day and left a voicemail of my own. They then called me the following day and wanted to do a phone interview later that day.

The phone interview was by far my worst ever. I was sick and my voice was shot so I ended up doing terrible despite having a real interest in doing this stuff and scoring perfect on all the online math, written, and grammar pretests.

He told me the classroom training started in January and they were looking for 8 people and they all were going to be hired upon completion of the class and then they would be assigned mentors. He said they would send an email within a week letting me know if I would be going on to the next step, meeting with the hiring manager.

Not surprising, a day later I received an email saying I wasn't selected. I called later that day and left a voicemail thanking him for his time even though I wasn't selected and telling him that I felt embarrassed, because I was sick and that he didn't get the best me for the interview.

Phone Interview: A bunch of very difficult behavior questions that I had to think about and didn't know how to answer, but I gave it my all.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!