The Hartford Underwriter Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015

Underwriter Interview

Interview

The online application process took around an hour to complete. It asked all the basics, as well as a personality test. I waa then contacted by email to set up a telephone interview. They were very accomodating when setting a date and time. My interviewer called about 15 minutes late, but he did apologize.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe the most complex task i perform at my current position.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Hartford

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

2 interviews one on one with the manager. second interview with the VP and was able to walk around and meet people. Afterwards you had to do a case study and present your findings on the risk; would you accept it, why or why not, what conditions, rate the policy, etc.

Negotiation

NA

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

Campus job posting

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford.

Interview

tell me about a time questions = boring

Interview Questions

Negotiation

na

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Hartford (Alpharetta, GA).

Interview

3 rounds of interviews; very intense.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how I've used negotiating skills in the past and explain how you would negotiate something based on various scenarios that were provided in the interview.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not much margin for negotiating. Actually ended up taking a pay cut.

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford (San Antonio, TX) in August 2011.

Interview

So, my brother-in-law has a friend that works for The Hartford, so I sent him my resume and a recruiter with The Hartford got back to me within a week. She asked me a few general questions about my current employment status and why I was giving consideration to The Hartford. She then scheduled for me to take an assessment the following week at the San Antonio offices. The assessment, or skills test, took me roughly an hour and a half to complete. It consisted of personality questions, situational questions, how your peers or bosses would assess you, and a few statistics questions. Nothing too difficult. After the test, an HR rep informed me that my recruiter would get back to me by the end of the week (I took the assessment on a Tuesday).

I didn't hear back from the recruiter by the end of the week. I didn't hear back from her until the following week. We scheduled to do a phone interview that Friday. For this interview, she asked me situational questions (i.e., what would you do if...) and specific questions about my work experience. For example, she asked, "Give an example of a time in which you demonstrated influence and leadership" and "Tell me about a time in which you dealt with a difficult colleague..." This all lasted about 20-30 minutes. She said that I "sold myself well" and that she would recommend me for a face to face interview with, presumably, a hiring manager at the San Antonio offices. She told me she'd get back to me the following Monday.

Monday came and went with no phone call. By Wednesday, I gave the recruiter a call. She told me that she hadn't heard back from a few of the managers that she had spoken to regarding my application but would get back to me when she did. Fifteen minutes later, she notified me that these managers got back to her and that they were looking for someone with more experience. If you ask me, it sounds like she was looking for a way to politely brush me off and didn't even recommend me to any of the mangers. If you're a recruiter within the company, this is probably pretty common.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time in which you showed influence and leadership.   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you work in a team environment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

phone interview, interviewed with 4 other people( director and managers)

Interview Questions

• your background and why this position, what do you know about E&O,   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford (Hartford, CT) in June 2010.

Interview

Contacted by HR after I submitted my resume online for a phone screen. An in-person interview was schedule to come visit the office to meet with managers and team members. Overall, a great experience - the interview was not too intense as it was mostly behavioral.

Interview Questions

• How many customers can your favorite restaurant fit on a busy Saturday night?   Answer Question

The job was not what I expect it to be based on the job description.

Underwriter Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Hartford in April 2010.

Interview

First, applied online. Was called to schedule a phone interview, then had the hour-long phone interview a week later. Following day completed a 90 minute computer assessment at their location.

Interview Questions

• What is a difficult work situation in the past?   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Hartford in March 2009.

Interview

The initial recruiter after promising to get back on office visit details never called or emailed again!!!