The Hershey Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Retail Sales Representative
Hershey, PA

I applied through college or university and interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – First you have a phone interview, then a video interview, then a field day, and then a face to face with the hiring manager.

Interview Question – You must be willing to relocate for this position.   Answer Question

Industrial Engineer Interview

Industrial Engineer
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 6+ months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. After 6 months (I had already started working at another place) I received a phone call expressing interest. After 2 more phone calls, I was invited to interview on-site. The on-site interview was at the corporate headquarters, and required giving a presentation on a past experience and 1:1 interviews with 3 people. After that, I had a phone interview with the actual job site and had to do an on-site 1:1 interview there with 5 different people.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual was asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything, but additional vacation days would probably be easy to get.

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – Just a few days after submitting my resume I received a call to schedule a phone interview for the following Friday. The interview consisted of four Business Unit Managers, one of which I would report too, and an HR person. The interview lasted about 30 min with the majority of questions being in the STAR format. A little over a week after the phone interview (Monday) I received a call requesting to schedule an interview in Hershey the following Wednesday. I thought that was rather short notice given that I had to drive six hours to get there, but I accepted the schedule as requested. The agenda was for two, one hour interviews with two Managers each. At the end of the second interview I was asked if I would like a tour of the plant, I accepted. The unscheduled tour lasted between 30-45 min, upon returning to the admin area my Tour Guide stepped into an office to let someone know that we had returned, this person turned out to be the HR Manager whom I over heard state “tell him to wait, I would like to talk to him”. This unscheduled third meeting/interview turned out to be with the HR Manager and the Plant Manager. When leaving I felt I had the position and would receive an offer. It is my belief that the tour serves two functions 1) If you decline the tour do you really want the job do they need to proceed? and 2) It give the Management Team a chance to talk and decide if you get a final interview with the HR and Plant Managers.

Interview Question – There was no one question that was difficult or unexpected because of my research of common interview question, not because I’m that smart I put a lot of work into the interview prep’s. However, if you are not a good story teller and/or quick on your feet while under pressure you will have difficulty with the STAR format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The Monday after my interview at Hershey I received a call from their Talent Acquisition department asking general questions that quickly became very pointed. When the subject of salary expectation came up I asked if this was a formal officer, the answer was no. I answered that once a formal offer was made then I would be happy to discuss salary and they accepted that answer. I then reminded them of several points in my resume documenting cost savings and the numbers supervisor/management accomplishments. Based on my expectation and research I received an initial salary and benefits offer at the top of my range and accepted it. The offer was received less than a week after my onsite interview.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

Intern
Hershey, PA

I applied online and interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – They emailed me about two weeks after applying to do a video interview. The interview was a series of 15 questions (most behavioral based). The questions were read by someone on the video and then you were given 5 seconds before the video started recording your response. You could review your response but you could not redo them. Overall the questions were pretty easy if you practice responding to STAR type questions but it is difficult to give lengthy responses when you are just talking to a computer screen. Next time I would practice extending the length of my answers and giving detailed responses.

Interview Question – What is your favorite candy?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

Retail Sales Representative
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Hershey Company in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and received email the next day to schedule phone interview.

On phone interview, I was asked if I lived in the Hershey/Harrisburg area and if I am willing to relocate there. Was told these jobs are typically held for a year and half and then there is opportunity for promotion which could include relocation. So being open to relocation is important.

The salary is $39,500, based on a 40 hour work, there is potential for over time on a weekly basis of up to a 47 1/2 hour work week, increase pay potential of $48,000. Plus up to 13% annual bonus potential.

Managing 20-30 established accounts. Area is a 15-40 mile radius. 4-5 store visits a day. Hours are daytime Monday-Friday, typical day starts at 7:30am. Busy times are during the various holiday seasons.

Home-based office, they provide computer, printer, hand held system, and car. Gas reimbursement.

Benefits effective day 1 start date, retirement plan, and 2 weeks paid time off, plus 3 heritage/sick days.

Next step, they forward my resume to the regional sales manager and they let HR know which applicants they want to interview. I received an email a week and half later saying that the position in Hershey was filled but if I was still interested in a RSR position to please consider the following locations and they listed a long list of cities throughout the US.

I declined as I was hoping to start in the Hershey area.

Interview Question – Straight forward interview. Asked about my background briefly, told me about the job and followed with a few situation questions.   Answer Question

Human Resource Associate Manager Interview

Human Resource Associate Manager
Hershey, PA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2012.

Interview Details – I am a HR student in one of the top business schools in the U.S I interviewed initially with Hersheys over the phone and just went over my resume and some behavioral questions. 3 weeks later I went over for an onsite interview at Hersheys. The people were all very friendly and the whole process went smoothly, the problem is that the HR department is going through restructuring to a matrix organization and they still haven't figured out what the job of HR associate manager should really be, they just left it open, so every person i talked to (interviewer) they just said that they just left it intentionally open and that they will figure out the specific job duties later. So I was basiclally interviewing for a job that I have no idea about. I had 3 interviews. The person I was supposed to interview with last got stuck in a meeting so I ended up talking to someone else last minute who was not really prepared for an interview and didnt ask me the behavioral questions she was supposed to ask. She just talked to me about my interests and experience and that they will get back to me once they have figured out what the job should look like. They kept asking me about career interests to which i responded that I would be flexible and open to building a wide variety of HR experiences, but then they can't structure a specific job.

I was supposed to hear after 2 weeks, i didn't after 2 and a half weeks, i checked my status online and found out that I was no longer considered for the job. They didnt even give me the courtesy of letting me know that they I was no longer considered with even an automated email after meeting tons of people and spending a night over in hersheys. I was really shocked given that they were really friendly. Overall, I would not recommend that company to anyone like me just starting out in HR or in HR grad school because they are still structuring their department, don't have leadership or rotation programs like some companies and were not even sure what the job was supposed to be.

Interview Question – Give me an example when you inspired someone to perform better   Answer Question

Administrative Interview

Administrative
Hershey, PA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in December 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview with HR, phone interview with department members, face to face interview with department members. Never received any other correspondence about job.

Interview Question – How did you handle a situation where someone would not help you when you asked for assistance?   Answer Question

Category Development Intern Interview

Category Development Intern
Hershey, PA

The process took 2 days - interviewed at The Hershey Company in April 2011.

Interview Details – Consisted of one 1:1 interview on campus. All behavioral base, they love the STAR format and want you to focus on results. Know the history of the company and talk about the milton hershey school and the culture, they are really proud of that. They are just trying to see how well you would fit in and your level of professionalism

Interview Questions

Accounting Interview

Accounting
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online and found out a few weeks later that I had an interview. My interview was with two managers separate. They asked me to perform a few problems and asked a lot of behavior questions. It wasn't too bad because I prepared for behavior questions

Interview Question – When's a time you worked in a group and had a weak member?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – n/a

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Human Resources Coordinator - Talent Interview

Senior Human Resources Coordinator - Talent
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – Within a couple of weeks of applying online I received a phone call and email from a contract recruiter to schedule a phone interview. I did the phone interview with the contract recruiter the following day and she asked questions about my work history, pay expectations, and a couple behavioral questions were thrown in. From there I was told that within a week and a half the hiring manager would decide who to schedule for in person interviews. The following Wednesday I was called to schedule an in person interview for the following week.

The recruiter sent me a detailed itinerary via email, which stated that the interview would consist of 2 one-hour panel interviews.

I can honestly say that the interview with Hershey was one of the most in-depth interviews I have ever been on. It was literally two solid hours or behavioral interview questions and many of them seemed to be really similar. They use the STARS interviewing technique. Knowing this, I spent several hours preparing for the interview by brainstorming examples of situations that I thought they would ask about. I thought I was well prepared, but it was still a daunting process.

At the end of the interview I was told that within 2 weeks they would contact the top 2-3 candidates to schedule a final interview and then make a final decision from there. I didn't receive any feedback within 2 weeks, so a day later I followed up with the hiring manager. A day after that I received a "Dear John" letter from another HR staff member, whom I hadn't met, stating that while my credentials were impressive, they were essentially more impressed with others.

Overall, it was a positive experience, and I definitely understand why there process is so in depth.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Hershey Company? Contribute to the Community!