The Hershey Company Interview Questions & Reviews

3.1

Production Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hershey, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at The Hershey Company in August 2013.

Veteran Experience

Contacted by a recruiter about a Production Supervisor position in Hershey, PA, initially having not applied to the position, I was asked to apply for this specefic announcement. I conducted 2 phone interviews and was asked to do an on site at the East Hershey facility. Conducted the on site interview with the HR Director and Plant Manager and completed a tour of the facility. Upon completion, I was told to expect a response back within a week or so. 2 weeks later, I was contacted by the recruiter and told I would have to start the process over because the proper steps were not taken with my application and interviews. I conducted a redundant phone interview and told I'd hear back in 1-2 weeks. A month later, I emailed the recruiter and was told she would let me know when she hears something. This was 11 months ago, I have never been told, in any capacity, they were moving on with a different candidate or anything. Having interviewed 3 times and conducting an on site, at my expense with travel from TN, the least I would expect is a curtosy email.
    The experenince left me with an impression that Hershey is a mismanaged giant, atleast with talent acquisition and HR, of a company with little regard to its employees, candidates and hiring policies/procedures.
    In addition, having been a commissioned Army Officer of over 10 years with a graduate degree, The Hershey Company is unable and/or incapable of translating military exeperince in any capacity. Their proclamation of being Veteran friendly is misleading unless you are a former Junior service member with 3-5 years of experience, looking for an entry level position. Senior members are blaintly undervalued for their experience, education and knowledge and in turn are pigeon holed into entry level positions with little apparent advancement.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you had to deal with a difficult employee
      What was your most difficult leadership challenge, what was your most rewarding?
      What's your biggest strength, leadership style?
        Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Standard STAR format interview questions typically done by 1-3 people for screening via phone or online in first round. Second round will be 2-4 people live using STAR format questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • All questions must have real business answers with all details (STAR) communicated to provide what interviewers need. Questions are not very difficult as long as you can fit your examples to them.   Answer Question
    Some negotiation possible but monetary offers fit within a band range that is difficult to go beyond.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in December 2013.

First it was an on campus interview, then I was called from a recruiter. After submitting an awkward video interview I was contacted by HR for an in person interview. Flew out to interview with district sales manager and the area sales director. Hershey pays for all of that. Then I was asked questions in a STAR format, which even after studying how to answer, I still found some of them difficult.

No negotiating available for the RSR role. Everyone is entered in at the same pay grade.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

I applied online through their website and they got back to me as soon as the next morning wanting to schedule a phone interview. The phone rang and they did most of the talking. It lasted exactly four minutes to the dot and then it was over. Asked if i was willing to relocate. I said yes but not outside of Texas. Two weeks later I received my rejection letter.

Anonymous Employee  in  Boise, ID
    Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2014.

Phone interview was OK and professional, everything else was impersonal. It was unclear as to what they were expecting since you answer questions that are prerecorded. I doubt experience matters.

Interview Questions
    • Format of interview is prerecorded videos   View Answer

Full Time Field Sales Representative Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Was called the same exact day when I applied. I was not really looking forward to that job and was probably over qualified even though I just graduated last year from college. Anyways I thought I did good on my initial phone interview. I was then scheduled for a second interview about 2 weeks later by phone as well where I thought I did pretty good overall but was not offered the positions. I think they were just going through the hiring process and knew they were not going to hire me in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty easy overall. I did apply for a bilingual english/spanish position so expect to have a conversation in Spanish with the interviewer   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in April 2014.

The interview process with Hershey is just like the other reviewers have said. Mine did vary just a little. I was contacted very quickly after submitting my resume online (like within the hour). A phone interviewed was scheduled for the next day and I was notified that I was being moved to the next step immediately. Another phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled for the next week. That was also pretty easy and quick and I was notified I was being moved forward by email within the next few hours.

A in person panel interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and the hiring manager's manager. I had to travel in for this and could tell they were interviewing multiple people that day for this position (I assume) and other vacancies across the state. The in person interview was pretty casual and easy -- I have 4+ years of consumer goods experience and they even admitted that I was overqualified. However, I have had switched industries over the last few years and had to quit jobs after only a year or two in position as my husband's career kept advancing and forced us to relocate for his promotions. This left the Hershey folks unsure about my mobility and also concerned that I'd get "bored" with this job as a few levels below where I'd ended up working in my previous consumer goods roles.

Anyway, they moved me on to the field day where I spent a half-day with the hiring manager and one of the division reps (also a newer rep). I know this role backward and forward already -- it is much less involved than my previous consumer goods experience and I could probably do it on auto-pilot. There is very little to do in the stores and I was confident I could run circles around the rep that we were shadowing for the day. I did not communicate this (because obviously that would've been a turn-off) and just remained engaged, asked appropriate questions, and communicated enthusiasm for this position. Again, they brought up the fact that I was overqualified but expressed concern at my getting bored in this role. I assured them that I loved consumer goods and I was eager to return to this field and I would stay engaged by learning the new industry and hopeful to move up in the company in due time.

At the end of the day I was told it was between me and another candidate and I would know something by Monday (this was on a Friday). I did not hear anything until the next Tuesday (6 business days later than expected). I had followed up with the hiring manager and when she did not respond I followed up with my HR contact who said she hoped to have an answer soon. Finally I got the generic rejection email... Which I thought was inappropriate given the amount of time I'd spent with these folks, the length of time this process had taken (over a month), and the hoops I'd jumped through for these interviews (an entire day of flying for one interview then a 2+ hour drive each way for the field day).

So, I have mixed feelings about this. I understand their concern about my longevity with the company given my past experiences and qualifications but geez... I really thought they'd be pleased to have someone who could exceed expectations in this key territory and that would be worth the risk. I don't know. I guess the lesson was for me to withhold any information about my long-term plans and just tell them what they want to hear.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just be prepared for questions about how you'll deal with conflict, how you'll sell in key displays, etc.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Applied through a university website, then asked to apply on Hershey's website. Heard back right away about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy and standard- no hard questions. She explained to me the job in more depth which is an out-of-home job traveling to different stores in my territory. After agreeing that the job description was okay, I was required to do a video interview within the next two days. The video interview process was very uncomfortable for me. You have 5 minutes to answer each question and then move on to the next one. There were 9 questions in total and about half were STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you used data to support your claim when you were trying to persuade someone   Answer Question
    • What would you do and what would you say to store managers to secure a blockbuster location in a store?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to convince a customer otherwise   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you think you would be a good fit for this role   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a big accomplishment at work and were recognized   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Had 2 phone interviews and one panel interview, overall felt good in the interviews but did not got the job.

Anonymous Employee  in  Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in February 2014.

online app followed by phone screening. I passed the phone interview & was asked to record a video interview which consisted of 9 STAR format questions. The next phase is to complete a field day, then meet with a panel of district managers. Position is offered over the phone

Interview Questions
    • basic STAR sales questions however you must be open for relocation to be considered. I applied for a position in So. Cal and was offered a job in Nor Cal last minute. Was asked to provide 5 other location I would be willing to move to in the event that the So Cal option closes.

Also was flown out to MN in the dead of winter for my panel interview with 1 day notice. This interview process is ideal for job seekers who have a VERY flexible schedule.
        Answer Question

The territory covered over 100 miles in the middle of no where. The pay was not worth the commute and would not cover rent for any where decent or safe to live. I have my MBA and the company would not negotiate the $30k base salary but mentioned I would be eligible for overtime.
    The company asked me to move to the territory in 2 weeks without providing any relocation funds despite the offer in my contract. The pressure to move so quickly and the lack of communication was a HUGE red flag. I turned down the position 1 week prior to starting . The time and money just didn't make sense.

Worked for The Hershey Company? Contribute to the Community!