The Hershey Company

Getting the Interview

100 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Retail Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview with an HR woman who had been there for 11 years. She was highly professional and straight forward. The whole phone interview last about 20 minutes, she asked me two STAR behavioral questions and then 2 open ended personal questions. She was looking for very specific examples rather than generic.

Interview Question – Could you please give me an example of when you were trying to sell a product and what were the results.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a video interview then followed by a phone interview. If you are qualified they then send you on a Field day with one of their reps. If he or she likes you they ask you to a final meeting with the area sales director and district manager

Interview Question – List 5 different hershey candies.   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – Just a few days after submitting my resume I received a call to schedule a phone interview for the following Friday. The interview consisted of four Business Unit Managers, one of which I would report too, and an HR person. The interview lasted about 30 min with the majority of questions being in the STAR format. A little over a week after the phone interview (Monday) I received a call requesting to schedule an interview in Hershey the following Wednesday. I thought that was rather short notice given that I had to drive six hours to get there, but I accepted the schedule as requested. The agenda was for two, one hour interviews with two Managers each. At the end of the second interview I was asked if I would like a tour of the plant, I accepted. The unscheduled tour lasted between 30-45 min, upon returning to the admin area my Tour Guide stepped into an office to let someone know that we had returned, this person turned out to be the HR Manager whom I over heard state “tell him to wait, I would like to talk to him”. This unscheduled third meeting/interview turned out to be with the HR Manager and the Plant Manager. When leaving I felt I had the position and would receive an offer. It is my belief that the tour serves two functions 1) If you decline the tour do you really want the job do they need to proceed? and 2) It give the Management Team a chance to talk and decide if you get a final interview with the HR and Plant Managers.

Interview Question – There was no one question that was difficult or unexpected because of my research of common interview question, not because I’m that smart I put a lot of work into the interview prep’s. However, if you are not a good story teller and/or quick on your feet while under pressure you will have difficulty with the STAR format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The Monday after my interview at Hershey I received a call from their Talent Acquisition department asking general questions that quickly became very pointed. When the subject of salary expectation came up I asked if this was a formal officer, the answer was no. I answered that once a formal offer was made then I would be happy to discuss salary and they accepted that answer. I then reminded them of several points in my resume documenting cost savings and the numbers supervisor/management accomplishments. Based on my expectation and research I received an initial salary and benefits offer at the top of my range and accepted it. The offer was received less than a week after my onsite interview.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern Interview

Intern
Hershey, PA

I applied online and interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – They emailed me about two weeks after applying to do a video interview. The interview was a series of 15 questions (most behavioral based). The questions were read by someone on the video and then you were given 5 seconds before the video started recording your response. You could review your response but you could not redo them. Overall the questions were pretty easy if you practice responding to STAR type questions but it is difficult to give lengthy responses when you are just talking to a computer screen. Next time I would practice extending the length of my answers and giving detailed responses.

Interview Question – What is your favorite candy?   Answer Question

Interviewed at The Hershey Company

Interview Details – I had 5 interviews

Interview Question – The interview is based on the star format. Google star format   Answer Question

Cleveland, OH

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – I learned about the Retail Sale Representative through a referral of my boss. I was encouraged to reach out to the College Recruiter. I did a phone interview followed by a video interview. The video interview was very hard, but after two weeks was asked on a field day. The video questions consisted of behavioral questions. My field day that lasted about 8 hours was a lot of fun. I was then contacted by the recruiter to do an on site interview with a district manager. I have not yet attended the interview, but I look forward to my last step in the process.

Interview Question – Situational question during video interview in regards to what you would do strategically to secure a spot next to a blockbuster release.   Answer Question

Interviewed at The Hershey Company

Interview Question – Time when you had to deal with a conflict. How did you handle it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in July 2013.

Interview Details – First got an email saying that I had to complete a video interview. The video interview is talking into your webcam to prerecorded questions. I got this email about 3 weeks after initially applying for the job. I heard back from Hershey about 2 weeks later. Suggestion would be to practice talking directly into your webcam, not the screen.

Interview Question – No question stood out as difficult, mostly typical STAR questions that you would hear from other employers   Answer Question

Full Time Field Sales Representative Interview

Full Time Field Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Hershey Company in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Received an email to do a video interview, completed the video interview and was contact by email that I was not offered a position.

Interview Question – Favorite candy   View Answer

Retail Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – This company is a joke.

They really ask a lot out of the candidate and in return give very little communication along the way as to where you stand. I applied online and was contacted the very next day by an entry level HR rep. The HR rep asked a few behavioral questions and felt confident enough in my answers that she would move me on to the next step. The next step was a face to face interview with the hiring manager whom I would have directly reported to. A nice young individual who looked and acted as if they never conducted an interview before in their life. Was new to the role and read every question directly off a sheet of paper.The interview started late because the last one ran too long. As I answered each of the questions in the STAR format, the manager nervously looked at his or her phone and peered at the lobby periodically to see if the next candidate was waiting. He or She then handed me their business card and confidently said " thank you so much, don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions throughout this process". Interestingly enough, the card had no phone number on it.

A few hours after our interview, I was contacted by one of the managers Retail Sales Reps to set up a day in the field. I conducted the day in the field and watched every step of the 9 hour day (no helping for liability purposes). I tried to figure how this job could even be classified as "sales". More like Manual Labor. Regardless, I was still interested in the job because of what a great company Hershey's seemed to be and the optimism that their Retail Service Reps can get promoted in as soon as a years time. All went well with my day in the field and they decided to fly me out of the state to a 5 person panel interview, which consisted of 4 Division Managers (one of which was the original manager I interviewed with) a regional manager and the VP of the sales area.

More and more STAR formatted behavioral questions. One after the other, very robotic, very tedious. I was in great spirits after (unlike now if you can't tell) because I felt good about the long but challenging process. I was, told with certainty that I would know where I stand in 1 week. It's easily been 6 weeks since the process ended. I took two days off work, fielded two phone interviews, and worked by butt off to not get caught by my current employer and all I have in return from Hershey is 4 to 5 unanswered emails and a few left voice messages on my end.

Be a bit more professional about how you handle your interview process. Its an entry level job that I was probably overqualified for, but still there is probably less steps in an interview process with the FBI or CIA.

Good riddance Hershey

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you faced conflict amoung other team members in a group setting   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Hershey Company