The Hershey Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014
Updated Oct 18, 2014

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in April 2014.

The interview process with Hershey is just like the other reviewers have said. Mine did vary just a little. I was contacted very quickly after submitting my resume online (like within the hour). A phone interviewed was scheduled for the next day and I was notified that I was being moved to the next step immediately. Another phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled for the next week. That was also pretty easy and quick and I was notified I was being moved forward by email within the next few hours.

A in person panel interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and the hiring manager's manager. I had to travel in for this and could tell they were interviewing multiple people that day for this position (I assume) and other vacancies across the state. The in person interview was pretty casual and easy -- I have 4+ years of consumer goods experience and they even admitted that I was overqualified. However, I have had switched industries over the last few years and had to quit jobs after only a year or two in position as my husband's career kept advancing and forced us to relocate for his promotions. This left the Hershey folks unsure about my mobility and also concerned that I'd get "bored" with this job as a few levels below where I'd ended up working in my previous consumer goods roles.

Anyway, they moved me on to the field day where I spent a half-day with the hiring manager and one of the division reps (also a newer rep). I know this role backward and forward already -- it is much less involved than my previous consumer goods experience and I could probably do it on auto-pilot. There is very little to do in the stores and I was confident I could run circles around the rep that we were shadowing for the day. I did not communicate this (because obviously that would've been a turn-off) and just remained engaged, asked appropriate questions, and communicated enthusiasm for this position. Again, they brought up the fact that I was overqualified but expressed concern at my getting bored in this role. I assured them that I loved consumer goods and I was eager to return to this field and I would stay engaged by learning the new industry and hopeful to move up in the company in due time.

At the end of the day I was told it was between me and another candidate and I would know something by Monday (this was on a Friday). I did not hear anything until the next Tuesday (6 business days later than expected). I had followed up with the hiring manager and when she did not respond I followed up with my HR contact who said she hoped to have an answer soon. Finally I got the generic rejection email... Which I thought was inappropriate given the amount of time I'd spent with these folks, the length of time this process had taken (over a month), and the hoops I'd jumped through for these interviews (an entire day of flying for one interview then a 2+ hour drive each way for the field day).

So, I have mixed feelings about this. I understand their concern about my longevity with the company given my past experiences and qualifications but geez... I really thought they'd be pleased to have someone who could exceed expectations in this key territory and that would be worth the risk. I don't know. I guess the lesson was for me to withhold any information about my long-term plans and just tell them what they want to hear.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just be prepared for questions about how you'll deal with conflict, how you'll sell in key displays, etc.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

First you have a phone interview, then a video interview, then a field day, and then a face to face with the hiring manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Applied through a university website, then asked to apply on Hershey's website. Heard back right away about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy and standard- no hard questions. She explained to me the job in more depth which is an out-of-home job traveling to different stores in my territory. After agreeing that the job description was okay, I was required to do a video interview within the next two days. The video interview process was very uncomfortable for me. You have 5 minutes to answer each question and then move on to the next one. There were 9 questions in total and about half were STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you used data to support your claim when you were trying to persuade someone   Answer Question
    • What would you do and what would you say to store managers to secure a blockbuster location in a store?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to convince a customer otherwise   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you think you would be a good fit for this role   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a big accomplishment at work and were recognized   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Phone interview was standard interview. Asked to describe situation in which you had to overcome problem, worked as team, over came adversity etc.

Interview Questions
    • Look up your standard interview question and you will have it covered. Very interested in your sales experience.   View Answer
    Not in negotiation phsae yet

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

1st you have a telephone interview with STAR format questions. 2nd interview is Webcam they can see you, but you can't see the hiring managers and it's 9 questions and you can't change your answer. The interview sends you a list of cities that are available mind you the city you applied to is probably taken.

If you live in Chicago, IL and apply for Chicago, IL that is just a bait to get you to apply and relocate to the cities that they interviewer will tell you are available. Chicago, IL isn't even available and you applied for it. (nice trick)

Interview Questions
    • 1) Give a time when you had to use suggestive selling to a manager how did you prepare for the call. 2) You know this position requires relocation what is your time frame for relocating. 3) Why Hershey? 4) Give an example of your most proudest accomplishment in school or on a job 5) Why are you the perfect candidate for this position...(There are only 9 questions.   View Answer

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Had 2 phone interviews and one panel interview, overall felt good in the interviews but did not got the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in February 2014.

online app followed by phone screening. I passed the phone interview & was asked to record a video interview which consisted of 9 STAR format questions. The next phase is to complete a field day, then meet with a panel of district managers. Position is offered over the phone

Interview Questions
    • basic STAR sales questions however you must be open for relocation to be considered. I applied for a position in So. Cal and was offered a job in Nor Cal last minute. Was asked to provide 5 other location I would be willing to move to in the event that the So Cal option closes.

Also was flown out to MN in the dead of winter for my panel interview with 1 day notice. This interview process is ideal for job seekers who have a VERY flexible schedule.
        Answer Question

The territory covered over 100 miles in the middle of no where. The pay was not worth the commute and would not cover rent for any where decent or safe to live. I have my MBA and the company would not negotiate the $30k base salary but mentioned I would be eligible for overtime.
    The company asked me to move to the territory in 2 weeks without providing any relocation funds despite the offer in my contract. The pressure to move so quickly and the lack of communication was a HUGE red flag. I turned down the position 1 week prior to starting . The time and money just didn't make sense.

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company.

Phone screen with recruiter, 5 in person interviews with various Marketing Directors and an HR Manager

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was tough, I should have negotiated better especially in terms of my title. They were slightly flexible on negotiating pay.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2014.

I had one phone interview with an HR woman who had been there for 11 years. She was highly professional and straight forward. The whole phone interview last about 20 minutes, she asked me two STAR behavioral questions and then 2 open ended personal questions. She was looking for very specific examples rather than generic.

Interview Questions
    • Could you please give me an example of when you were trying to sell a product and what were the results.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Phone interview was OK and professional, everything else was impersonal. It was unclear as to what they were expecting since you answer questions that are prerecorded. I doubt experience matters.

Interview Questions
    • Format of interview is prerecorded videos   View Answer