The Hershey Company Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Hershey Company in April 2015.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening. Then I was told to complete a video interview for which I prepared well for and did a pretty good job with. It was my first ever recorded video interview (you only get one shot per question) and I kept my eyes on the camera, dressed well, spoke well, etc.

It's been weeks, I have not even gotten any feedback, so I reached out the the recruiter that initially got me started with the process. This was 2-3 days ago, she said she'd look into it. Nothing. I did not expect such a lack of professionalism from such a large and established company.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The Hershey Company in April 2015.

Interview

I got the interview opportunity through my college. I was told the interview was for an internship or full time job with either sales or marketing for Hershey's. I had the interview in person but when I got there they told me the interview did not apply to me since I was about to graduate but they took me through the process anyways.

Interview Questions

• What personal accomplishment are you most proud of?
      Tell me about a day in your life with many distractions and how did you deal with it?

Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview

Once you apply for the role a recruiter will call you asking basic questions. They will then request for you to complete a 9 question pre recorded interview. I included those questions below. Be ready for STAR format. After that is a day where you shadow a RSR. That is the point that I got to.

Interview Questions

• Why Hersheys? When did you use data in order to convince someone? Are you willing to relocate? When was a time you went above and beyond expectations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chapel Hill, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company (Chapel Hill, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

Met on campus at the job fair and was contacted later that day to interview for a RSR position. The next day I met with an on-campus representative. He asked me to go through my resume and describe everything on it, then asked 3 star format questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed at a sale, tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer, tell me about a time you showed initiative, Why should you be a RSR for the Hershey Company?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2015.

Interview

I had an interview sit down with an RSR and HR Manager at a career fair. It went really well and I was invited to do an online interview, which was awkward.
    A couple weeks later I was invited to do a field day where I followed an RSR for half a day to get a feel for what the job was like. It was awkward, to say the least. I was learning a lot and I was grateful for the experience but the RSR I was with seemed very cold and not very happy that I was with them for the day. I still really enjoyed my day and explained several times I was willing to relocate and worked hard and was looking for opportunity for growth within a company. I'm thinking back and I just really feel like the RSR I was shadowing just didn't like me very much, which is disappointing because I would have really loved, and I think excelled, in the job.

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Hershey Company (Baton Rouge, LA) in March 2015.

Interview

This is an extremely lengthy interview process. Additionally, the process seems very "detached." After applying, you get a very basic phone interview. They will then schedule you to do a virtual interview; you cannot re-record anything, they only accept the first answer. If they like it, they will schedule you for a field-day interview. The person I did mine with was very courteous, ambitious, enthusiastic and professional. That being said, Hershey's seems to have an air of superiority when comparing itself to other vendors. Case in point, they do not wish to be called vendors. They want to be known as salesman. They are friendly. The company will buy you lunch on the day of your field day interview. It seems like there is a disproportionate amount of female to males that occupy this position. The person did not once refer to a male superior or co-worker. However, my interviewer said he was going to give me all positive feedback and I found out a week later that I am no longer being considered for the position. I really wish that I would not have invested so much time but I was very hopeful about getting this position.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Hershey Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Immediately received an email after I applied to set up a phone interview. The interviewer asked one very strangely worded question, then asked if I would relocate. The job was posted in my local area. I said, 'no.' The interview was over after that. Be cautious about the company posting jobs in your area, but ask you to move immediately.

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Hershey Company (Spokane, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

My objective interactions with a Hershey recruiter:

Friday: Hershey recruiter emails me through a job board, suggesting I apply for the Retail Sales Rep position in Spokane, WA--the city that I live in. I reply that I am interested in the position. She replies with a link to schedule an interview, which I do for the following Monday.

Monday: Interview goes very well and she tells me that she thinks I’m the guy for the position in Spokane, WA--the city that I live in. The next step is for me to formally apply online and we will schedule the second interview (a pre-recorded video interview).

Tuesday: I formally apply on the Hershey website, but cannot find the job listing in Spokane, WA--the city that I live in. I let the recruiter know this, and she responds “Yes, Spokane was filled a few days ago.” Even though I spoke with her YESTERDAY about the open position and was initially contacted only 2 business days prior about the open position. According to her statement, the position had been filled during my entire interview process.

Wednesday: I took the second pre-recorded interview for a different location with tape over my cam/mic and wrote down all the questions for Glassdoor.

My take on what happened:

My experience was like that of a few others I’ve read on Glassdoor where Hershey pushes you to move later on in the interviewing process. I perceive two scenarios with Hershey’s HR department. They either have a very delayed system and do not know until well after if a position is filled OR they are intentionally pulling a bait and switch with their location listings. Either way I was not at all impressed with Hershey for wasting my time.

Salary offered: 39,000 @ 40 hours, 47,000 with overtime
    Benefits offered: company car, $25/month cell phone stipend, full health, dental (you’ll need it with the sweets) and vision.

I hope my recon on the second interview helps someone get the job!

Interview Questions

• All 2nd interview questions: Give an example of an accomplishment you are proud of. Why are you interested in this company, specifically in a sales role? describe employment history/briefly explain past positions and how they relate to this role, explain any employment gaps and reasons why you are pursuing other career opportunities at this time? Specific location preference, willing to move, why these locations? What has been your biggest accomplishment at work/school? STAR Tell me about a time you dealt with a person who was upset and it was your job to resolve the problem? STAR Tell me about a time when you had to use data to support proof in order to influence someone. STAR tell me about a time when you did significantly more than was required of you in a job/class. How would you prepare for meeting with a client store manager (strategies) for gaining floorspace f/a new product? Is there anything else you would like to add to help us understand why you would be top candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview

Contacted via email for the in person interview, it was very friendly and casual, just learning more about the position and telling them about my previous experience. Looking forward to hear back.

Interview Questions

Still waiting for them to get back to me. I think I could learn a lot there.

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company (Gainesville, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

The first interview was relatively easy, moved on to the next step which was the on site visit in Jacksonville. The Lady that was with me was very nice, but the job seems very lonely. Moved on to the final interview, where 2 guys interviewed me, I was the first one at 7am, and they seemed to not be engaged. There was no chemistry.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed at something? tell me about a time when you cashed in on an opportunity? tell me about a time lead a group.   Answer Question