The Hershey Company

The Hershey Company Interview Questions

Updated Nov 20, 2014
Updated Nov 20, 2014

Retail Sales Merchandiser Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company.

I first saw the ad for this job on Craigslist.
    I applied, and within the week, they set up my first phone interview.
    After that, they carried me on to a second phone interview with the District Supervisor.
    After that, they had me ride-along with a current worker to see if it was a good fit for me (and I a good fit for it).
    Finally, i had a face-to-face 45 minute interview with the District Supervisor and District Manager.

They were thoroughly professional and were very attentive to my answers (obviously), and asked great pointed questions. Finally, they told me they would contact me the following Monday or Tuesday with a decision.

They ended up calling me the Friday before that to offer the job.

If you apply with Hersheys, be prepared to undergo a similar process which may take a month to complete, but it is well worth it. I haven't started yet, but i already know they are a great company, having seen how the workers and management communicate.

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest goal you have set for yourself and fulfilled?   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation; it pays what they tell you up front. This job is not for someone looking to eventually turn it into a full-time gig, which is why it is titled "permanent part-time"

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2014.

I applied then got an email to schedule a phone interview. I completed the phone interview and was asked to complete the video interview within three days. I completed the video interview and got an email the next day to schedule a field day. I attended the field day and got an email the next day asking me to attend an in person interview with the District Manager. I got an email the next day saying it went great and I would have one final phone interview with the Regional Manager for my desired location. I was told it would last an hour. The Regional Manager asked me two questions, which my answers were extremely strong for, then ended the interview. It lasted fifteen minutes. He did not even give me the respect of a full interview. Then, they said I would hear back in one week. When I did not hear back, I emailed the HR rep I was working with. Three days later on a Sunday night, I got a system generated rejection email. After five interviews, I was not even given the decency of a personal email. Even after the HR rep and my interviewers all had told me how much they liked me and thought I was a great fit. So, I was extremely confused by this. I decided to email the HR rep, say thank you for your time and consideration, what did I do wrong so I can improve for next time? It has been a month and I never got a response. I think that was extremely rude and disrespectful. I believe the organization has a lot to learn on professionalism. Then again, why would I want to work for a company that treats potential employees this way?

Interview Questions
    • Standard STAR model questions. Be prepared to know about Hershey's and have solid examples for typical interview questions. Also, have examples tailored to sales specific questions.   Answer Question

Field Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Hershey Company in July 2014.

It was a prerecorded video interview. Someone was prerecorded asking questions and you have to answer them after on video. It was extremely awkward and uncomfortable.
    Questions were normal interview questions for sales jobs...
    describing experiences working on a team in the work place, how you handled a big issue and what you did to resolve it, your biggest accomplishment to date etc.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite Hershey's candy? I was thrown off guard!   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Standard STAR format interview questions typically done by 1-3 people for screening via phone or online in first round. Second round will be 2-4 people live using STAR format questions as well.

Interview Questions
    • All questions must have real business answers with all details (STAR) communicated to provide what interviewers need. Questions are not very difficult as long as you can fit your examples to them.   Answer Question
    Some negotiation possible but monetary offers fit within a band range that is difficult to go beyond.

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

I applied online through their website and they got back to me as soon as the next morning wanting to schedule a phone interview. The phone rang and they did most of the talking. It lasted exactly four minutes to the dot and then it was over. Asked if i was willing to relocate. I said yes but not outside of Texas. Two weeks later I received my rejection letter.

Full Time Field Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Was called the same exact day when I applied. I was not really looking forward to that job and was probably over qualified even though I just graduated last year from college. Anyways I thought I did good on my initial phone interview. I was then scheduled for a second interview about 2 weeks later by phone as well where I thought I did pretty good overall but was not offered the positions. I think they were just going through the hiring process and knew they were not going to hire me in my opinion.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty easy overall. I did apply for a bilingual english/spanish position so expect to have a conversation in Spanish with the interviewer   Answer Question

Retail Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in April 2014.

The interview process with Hershey is just like the other reviewers have said. Mine did vary just a little. I was contacted very quickly after submitting my resume online (like within the hour). A phone interviewed was scheduled for the next day and I was notified that I was being moved to the next step immediately. Another phone interview with the hiring manager was scheduled for the next week. That was also pretty easy and quick and I was notified I was being moved forward by email within the next few hours.

A in person panel interview was scheduled with the hiring manager and the hiring manager's manager. I had to travel in for this and could tell they were interviewing multiple people that day for this position (I assume) and other vacancies across the state. The in person interview was pretty casual and easy -- I have 4+ years of consumer goods experience and they even admitted that I was overqualified. However, I have had switched industries over the last few years and had to quit jobs after only a year or two in position as my husband's career kept advancing and forced us to relocate for his promotions. This left the Hershey folks unsure about my mobility and also concerned that I'd get "bored" with this job as a few levels below where I'd ended up working in my previous consumer goods roles.

Anyway, they moved me on to the field day where I spent a half-day with the hiring manager and one of the division reps (also a newer rep). I know this role backward and forward already -- it is much less involved than my previous consumer goods experience and I could probably do it on auto-pilot. There is very little to do in the stores and I was confident I could run circles around the rep that we were shadowing for the day. I did not communicate this (because obviously that would've been a turn-off) and just remained engaged, asked appropriate questions, and communicated enthusiasm for this position. Again, they brought up the fact that I was overqualified but expressed concern at my getting bored in this role. I assured them that I loved consumer goods and I was eager to return to this field and I would stay engaged by learning the new industry and hopeful to move up in the company in due time.

At the end of the day I was told it was between me and another candidate and I would know something by Monday (this was on a Friday). I did not hear anything until the next Tuesday (6 business days later than expected). I had followed up with the hiring manager and when she did not respond I followed up with my HR contact who said she hoped to have an answer soon. Finally I got the generic rejection email... Which I thought was inappropriate given the amount of time I'd spent with these folks, the length of time this process had taken (over a month), and the hoops I'd jumped through for these interviews (an entire day of flying for one interview then a 2+ hour drive each way for the field day).

So, I have mixed feelings about this. I understand their concern about my longevity with the company given my past experiences and qualifications but geez... I really thought they'd be pleased to have someone who could exceed expectations in this key territory and that would be worth the risk. I don't know. I guess the lesson was for me to withhold any information about my long-term plans and just tell them what they want to hear.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Just be prepared for questions about how you'll deal with conflict, how you'll sell in key displays, etc.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

First you have a phone interview, then a video interview, then a field day, and then a face to face with the hiring manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Applied through a university website, then asked to apply on Hershey's website. Heard back right away about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy and standard- no hard questions. She explained to me the job in more depth which is an out-of-home job traveling to different stores in my territory. After agreeing that the job description was okay, I was required to do a video interview within the next two days. The video interview process was very uncomfortable for me. You have 5 minutes to answer each question and then move on to the next one. There were 9 questions in total and about half were STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you used data to support your claim when you were trying to persuade someone   Answer Question
    • What would you do and what would you say to store managers to secure a blockbuster location in a store?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to convince a customer otherwise   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you think you would be a good fit for this role   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a big accomplishment at work and were recognized   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Phone interview was standard interview. Asked to describe situation in which you had to overcome problem, worked as team, over came adversity etc.

Interview Questions
    • Look up your standard interview question and you will have it covered. Very interested in your sales experience.   View Answer
    Not in negotiation phsae yet