The Hershey Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 5, 2014

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in February 2014.

online app followed by phone screening. I passed the phone interview & was asked to record a video interview which consisted of 9 STAR format questions. The next phase is to complete a field day, then meet with a panel of district managers. Position is offered over the phone

Interview Questions
    • basic STAR sales questions however you must be open for relocation to be considered. I applied for a position in So. Cal and was offered a job in Nor Cal last minute. Was asked to provide 5 other location I would be willing to move to in the event that the So Cal option closes.

Also was flown out to MN in the dead of winter for my panel interview with 1 day notice. This interview process is ideal for job seekers who have a VERY flexible schedule.
        Answer Question

The territory covered over 100 miles in the middle of no where. The pay was not worth the commute and would not cover rent for any where decent or safe to live. I have my MBA and the company would not negotiate the $30k base salary but mentioned I would be eligible for overtime.
    The company asked me to move to the territory in 2 weeks without providing any relocation funds despite the offer in my contract. The pressure to move so quickly and the lack of communication was a HUGE red flag. I turned down the position 1 week prior to starting . The time and money just didn't make sense.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hershey, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

First you have a phone interview, then a video interview, then a field day, and then a face to face with the hiring manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

1st you have a telephone interview with STAR format questions. 2nd interview is Webcam they can see you, but you can't see the hiring managers and it's 9 questions and you can't change your answer. The interview sends you a list of cities that are available mind you the city you applied to is probably taken.

If you live in Chicago, IL and apply for Chicago, IL that is just a bait to get you to apply and relocate to the cities that they interviewer will tell you are available. Chicago, IL isn't even available and you applied for it. (nice trick)

Interview Questions
    • 1) Give a time when you had to use suggestive selling to a manager how did you prepare for the call. 2) You know this position requires relocation what is your time frame for relocating. 3) Why Hershey? 4) Give an example of your most proudest accomplishment in school or on a job 5) Why are you the perfect candidate for this position...(There are only 9 questions.   View Answer

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in February 2013.

All of the other interview reviews are spot on with regard to the process. It's all STAR format all the time with a phone screen, followed by a phone interview with District Sales, then a field day, and finally a face to face interview with Regional Mgr and 2 District Managers. What I want to do is give you the real inside scoop on this position, who they are looking for (it's extremely specific), and why you may be wasting your time if you aren't in a certain demographic.

First of all, I have a Bachelor's degree and over 14 years outside sales and merchandising experience in retail and grocery and was working in a very similar position when I met a Hershey's RSR in one of my stores I covered. We spoke for quite a while and the RSR gave me her card and told me to use her as a referral for this position as it was nearly identical to mine. I was happy with my job but decided to give it a shot as I liked the idea of a company car and just selling and merchandising Hershey's instead of the multiple products I dealt with. I applied for a position in a nearby location and went through the process listed above and thought I had done well but was sent a turndown email almost as soon as I returned home from the final interview. I was baffled as I thought I had nailed it and with my internal referral I figured it was a lock. Again, I've done this for 14 years and this wasn't my first STAR format interview rodeo. At this point I spoke with the RSR who referred me and I started to pick up on something. First, in the entire process from the RSR I met to the HR rep, to the District Manager's, to the Regional Manager, they all had one thing in common.....Every single one was female and very young. In fact, every RSR I've ever seen in the field is female and mostly early 20's. Google linkedin for "Retail Sales Rep" Hershey's and I defy you to find more than a couple male sales reps across the whole United States! The RSR that referred me sheepishly admitted that "They kind of prefer females for this position" but she still wanted me to work there because she was tired of all-girls district meetings. My interview happened to occur at the same time and place as a District Sales Meeting and as I was leaving, they were all rolling in.....All of them female and 20's. I'm not kidding. I challenge you to find more than a handful of males in this job nationwide. Also, look at the number of "not offered a position" on Glassdoor for the RSR position alone. It's huge.

So what does this all mean for you.....Well, if you're female and early twenties you better realize something about merchandising and "sales" in grocery stores. (If you're a guy, you aren't getting hired so it doesn't matter) First of all, this isn't some corporate sales gig where you wear your nice blouse and pants and shoes and just stroll into the store and sell chocolate and leave. You're going to be doing very little selling as a matter of fact. What you will be doing is going into dirty, dusty, receiving and freight backrooms, digging for your product, loading it onto a big cart, wheeling out to the store, cutting open boxes, and building displays on endcaps, action alley (aisle displays), and floorstack displays. You'll be sweaty and anything you "sell" in you'll be expected to work out of the freight and build. Also, you'll be "selling" (basically persuading to punch an order on a handheld) a revolving door of grocery department heads, Zone Managers, and Assistant Managers that really don't have much time for or like most vendors all that much. These folks don't have degrees and might not even have a GED for that matter. You'll need to establish a relationship with them though, or you aren't going to make it. Hint (they buy more from the reps that work all the stuff out and do the labor and get dirty as it makes there job easier). Basically, if you've never worked in a grocery store in either grocery, produce, or dairy/frozen, you're probably not going to like this job. Again, this ain't corporate sales. The RSR that referred me is still in the same position, 4 years later and now complains that there's no upward mobility beyond this position. And I finally found out who they hired instead of me......A 22 year old female who just graduated and whose only experience was as a receptionist for an insurance company. Go figure. Hershey's....An all girls club!

Interview Questions
    • None really...It's all STAR format so whichever female has the best story wins....   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Phone interview was standard interview. Asked to describe situation in which you had to overcome problem, worked as team, over came adversity etc.

Interview Questions
    • Look up your standard interview question and you will have it covered. Very interested in your sales experience.   View Answer
    Not in negotiation phsae yet

Marketing Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Phone screen with recruiter, 5 in person interviews with various Marketing Directors and an HR Manager

Interview Questions
    Negotiation was tough, I should have negotiated better especially in terms of my title. They were slightly flexible on negotiating pay.

Industrial Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hershey, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hershey, PA

I applied online. The process took 6+ months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2011.

Applied online. After 6 months (I had already started working at another place) I received a phone call expressing interest. After 2 more phone calls, I was invited to interview on-site. The on-site interview was at the corporate headquarters, and required giving a presentation on a past experience and 1:1 interviews with 3 people. After that, I had a phone interview with the actual job site and had to do an on-site 1:1 interview there with 5 different people.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate anything, but additional vacation days would probably be easy to get.

Human Resources Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2010.

Initial communication was phone interview, followed by in-person panel interview. I was given a very detailed history of the company by engaged managers. Their enthusiasm was contagious. Was impressed by the professionalism of the interview team.

Interview Questions
    • What was the last book you read. It wasn't that difficult, but I wasn't sure if an "entertainment" book would be helpful or harmful. I stuck with the last book I read on employee recognition, which was 101 Ways to Reward Employees.   View Answer
    The company offers fair compensation so ask for wage range during phone interview so that you can be prepared for negotiation phase.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2014.

I had one phone interview with an HR woman who had been there for 11 years. She was highly professional and straight forward. The whole phone interview last about 20 minutes, she asked me two STAR behavioral questions and then 2 open ended personal questions. She was looking for very specific examples rather than generic.

Interview Questions
    • Could you please give me an example of when you were trying to sell a product and what were the results.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in August 2013.

Started with a video interview then followed by a phone interview. If you are qualified they then send you on a Field day with one of their reps. If he or she likes you they ask you to a final meeting with the area sales director and district manager