The Hershey Company

Average Difficulty
108 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Interview Details – 1st you have a telephone interview with STAR format questions. 2nd interview is Webcam they can see you, but you can't see the hiring managers and it's 9 questions and you can't change your answer. The interview sends you a list of cities that are available mind you the city you applied to is probably taken.

If you live in Chicago, IL and apply for Chicago, IL that is just a bait to get you to apply and relocate to the cities that they interviewer will tell you are available. Chicago, IL isn't even available and you applied for it. (nice trick)

Interview Question – 1) Give a time when you had to use suggestive selling to a manager how did you prepare for the call. 2) You know this position requires relocation what is your time frame for relocating. 3) Why Hershey? 4) Give an example of your most proudest accomplishment in school or on a job 5) Why are you the perfect candidate for this position...(There are only 9 questions.   View Answer

Retail Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in February 2013.

Interview Details – All of the other interview reviews are spot on with regard to the process. It's all STAR format all the time with a phone screen, followed by a phone interview with District Sales, then a field day, and finally a face to face interview with Regional Mgr and 2 District Managers. What I want to do is give you the real inside scoop on this position, who they are looking for (it's extremely specific), and why you may be wasting your time if you aren't in a certain demographic.

First of all, I have a Bachelor's degree and over 14 years outside sales and merchandising experience in retail and grocery and was working in a very similar position when I met a Hershey's RSR in one of my stores I covered. We spoke for quite a while and the RSR gave me her card and told me to use her as a referral for this position as it was nearly identical to mine. I was happy with my job but decided to give it a shot as I liked the idea of a company car and just selling and merchandising Hershey's instead of the multiple products I dealt with. I applied for a position in a nearby location and went through the process listed above and thought I had done well but was sent a turndown email almost as soon as I returned home from the final interview. I was baffled as I thought I had nailed it and with my internal referral I figured it was a lock. Again, I've done this for 14 years and this wasn't my first STAR format interview rodeo. At this point I spoke with the RSR who referred me and I started to pick up on something. First, in the entire process from the RSR I met to the HR rep, to the District Manager's, to the Regional Manager, they all had one thing in common.....Every single one was female and very young. In fact, every RSR I've ever seen in the field is female and mostly early 20's. Google linkedin for "Retail Sales Rep" Hershey's and I defy you to find more than a couple male sales reps across the whole United States! The RSR that referred me sheepishly admitted that "They kind of prefer females for this position" but she still wanted me to work there because she was tired of all-girls district meetings. My interview happened to occur at the same time and place as a District Sales Meeting and as I was leaving, they were all rolling in.....All of them female and 20's. I'm not kidding. I challenge you to find more than a handful of males in this job nationwide. Also, look at the number of "not offered a position" on Glassdoor for the RSR position alone. It's huge.

So what does this all mean for you.....Well, if you're female and early twenties you better realize something about merchandising and "sales" in grocery stores. (If you're a guy, you aren't getting hired so it doesn't matter) First of all, this isn't some corporate sales gig where you wear your nice blouse and pants and shoes and just stroll into the store and sell chocolate and leave. You're going to be doing very little selling as a matter of fact. What you will be doing is going into dirty, dusty, receiving and freight backrooms, digging for your product, loading it onto a big cart, wheeling out to the store, cutting open boxes, and building displays on endcaps, action alley (aisle displays), and floorstack displays. You'll be sweaty and anything you "sell" in you'll be expected to work out of the freight and build. Also, you'll be "selling" (basically persuading to punch an order on a handheld) a revolving door of grocery department heads, Zone Managers, and Assistant Managers that really don't have much time for or like most vendors all that much. These folks don't have degrees and might not even have a GED for that matter. You'll need to establish a relationship with them though, or you aren't going to make it. Hint (they buy more from the reps that work all the stuff out and do the labor and get dirty as it makes there job easier). Basically, if you've never worked in a grocery store in either grocery, produce, or dairy/frozen, you're probably not going to like this job. Again, this ain't corporate sales. The RSR that referred me is still in the same position, 4 years later and now complains that there's no upward mobility beyond this position. And I finally found out who they hired instead of me......A 22 year old female who just graduated and whose only experience was as a receptionist for an insurance company. Go figure. Hershey's....An all girls club!

Interview Question – None really...It's all STAR format so whichever female has the best story wins....   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative

I applied online and interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – Phone interview was standard interview. Asked to describe situation in which you had to overcome problem, worked as team, over came adversity etc.

Interview Question – Look up your standard interview question and you will have it covered. Very interested in your sales experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not in negotiation phsae yet

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – Phone screen with recruiter, 5 in person interviews with various Marketing Directors and an HR Manager

Interview Question – Why do you want to move to Hershey, PA?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was tough, I should have negotiated better especially in terms of my title. They were slightly flexible on negotiating pay.

Industrial Engineer Interview

Industrial Engineer
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 6+ months - interviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. After 6 months (I had already started working at another place) I received a phone call expressing interest. After 2 more phone calls, I was invited to interview on-site. The on-site interview was at the corporate headquarters, and required giving a presentation on a past experience and 1:1 interviews with 3 people. After that, I had a phone interview with the actual job site and had to do an on-site 1:1 interview there with 5 different people.

Interview Question – Nothing unusual was asked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate anything, but additional vacation days would probably be easy to get.

Human Resources Manager Interview

Human Resources Manager

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – Initial communication was phone interview, followed by in-person panel interview. I was given a very detailed history of the company by engaged managers. Their enthusiasm was contagious. Was impressed by the professionalism of the interview team.

Interview Question – What was the last book you read. It wasn't that difficult, but I wasn't sure if an "entertainment" book would be helpful or harmful. I stuck with the last book I read on employee recognition, which was 101 Ways to Reward Employees.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The company offers fair compensation so ask for wage range during phone interview so that you can be prepared for negotiation phase.

Retail Sales Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – I had one phone interview with an HR woman who had been there for 11 years. She was highly professional and straight forward. The whole phone interview last about 20 minutes, she asked me two STAR behavioral questions and then 2 open ended personal questions. She was looking for very specific examples rather than generic.

Interview Question – Could you please give me an example of when you were trying to sell a product and what were the results.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a video interview then followed by a phone interview. If you are qualified they then send you on a Field day with one of their reps. If he or she likes you they ask you to a final meeting with the area sales director and district manager

Interview Question – List 5 different hershey candies.   Answer Question

Production Supervisor Interview

Production Supervisor
Hershey, PA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Hershey Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – Just a few days after submitting my resume I received a call to schedule a phone interview for the following Friday. The interview consisted of four Business Unit Managers, one of which I would report too, and an HR person. The interview lasted about 30 min with the majority of questions being in the STAR format. A little over a week after the phone interview (Monday) I received a call requesting to schedule an interview in Hershey the following Wednesday. I thought that was rather short notice given that I had to drive six hours to get there, but I accepted the schedule as requested. The agenda was for two, one hour interviews with two Managers each. At the end of the second interview I was asked if I would like a tour of the plant, I accepted. The unscheduled tour lasted between 30-45 min, upon returning to the admin area my Tour Guide stepped into an office to let someone know that we had returned, this person turned out to be the HR Manager whom I over heard state “tell him to wait, I would like to talk to him”. This unscheduled third meeting/interview turned out to be with the HR Manager and the Plant Manager. When leaving I felt I had the position and would receive an offer. It is my belief that the tour serves two functions 1) If you decline the tour do you really want the job do they need to proceed? and 2) It give the Management Team a chance to talk and decide if you get a final interview with the HR and Plant Managers.

Interview Question – There was no one question that was difficult or unexpected because of my research of common interview question, not because I’m that smart I put a lot of work into the interview prep’s. However, if you are not a good story teller and/or quick on your feet while under pressure you will have difficulty with the STAR format.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The Monday after my interview at Hershey I received a call from their Talent Acquisition department asking general questions that quickly became very pointed. When the subject of salary expectation came up I asked if this was a formal officer, the answer was no. I answered that once a formal offer was made then I would be happy to discuss salary and they accepted that answer. I then reminded them of several points in my resume documenting cost savings and the numbers supervisor/management accomplishments. Based on my expectation and research I received an initial salary and benefits offer at the top of my range and accepted it. The offer was received less than a week after my onsite interview.

Intern Interview

Intern
Hershey, PA

I applied online and interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview Details – They emailed me about two weeks after applying to do a video interview. The interview was a series of 15 questions (most behavioral based). The questions were read by someone on the video and then you were given 5 seconds before the video started recording your response. You could review your response but you could not redo them. Overall the questions were pretty easy if you practice responding to STAR type questions but it is difficult to give lengthy responses when you are just talking to a computer screen. Next time I would practice extending the length of my answers and giving detailed responses.

Interview Question – What is your favorite candy?   Answer Question