The Hershey Company

Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA
Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The Hershey Company in February 2015.

My objective interactions with a Hershey recruiter:

Friday: Hershey recruiter emails me through a job board, suggesting I apply for the Retail Sales Rep position in Spokane, WA--the city that I live in. I reply that I am interested in the position. She replies with a link to schedule an interview, which I do for the following Monday.

Monday: Interview goes very well and she tells me that she thinks I’m the guy for the position in Spokane, WA--the city that I live in. The next step is for me to formally apply online and we will schedule the second interview (a pre-recorded video interview).

Tuesday: I formally apply on the Hershey website, but cannot find the job listing in Spokane, WA--the city that I live in. I let the recruiter know this, and she responds “Yes, Spokane was filled a few days ago.” Even though I spoke with her YESTERDAY about the open position and was initially contacted only 2 business days prior about the open position. According to her statement, the position had been filled during my entire interview process.

Wednesday: I took the second pre-recorded interview for a different location with tape over my cam/mic and wrote down all the questions for Glassdoor.

My take on what happened:

My experience was like that of a few others I’ve read on Glassdoor where Hershey pushes you to move later on in the interviewing process. I perceive two scenarios with Hershey’s HR department. They either have a very delayed system and do not know until well after if a position is filled OR they are intentionally pulling a bait and switch with their location listings. Either way I was not at all impressed with Hershey for wasting my time.

Salary offered: 39,000 @ 40 hours, 47,000 with overtime
Benefits offered: company car, $25/month cell phone stipend, full health, dental (you’ll need it with the sweets) and vision.

I hope my recon on the second interview helps someone get the job!

Interview Questions
  • All 2nd interview questions: Give an example of an accomplishment you are proud of. Why are you interested in this company, specifically in a sales role? describe employment history/briefly explain past positions and how they relate to this role, explain any employment gaps and reasons why you are pursuing other career opportunities at this time? Specific location preference, willing to move, why these locations? What has been your biggest accomplishment at work/school? STAR Tell me about a time you dealt with a person who was upset and it was your job to resolve the problem? STAR Tell me about a time when you had to use data to support proof in order to influence someone. STAR tell me about a time when you did significantly more than was required of you in a job/class. How would you prepare for meeting with a client store manager (strategies) for gaining floorspace f/a new product? Is there anything else you would like to add to help us understand why you would be top candidate for this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Hershey Company

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company.

I recieved an email from Career Builder, and upon receipt, I researched the company. Very impressed with their values and contribution to society, I applied. I receive the initial call within a week of applying. The initial interview is a phone interview in which you discuss the position and Why Hershey's. Next is the virtual interview. You are asked nine questions, and provided three minutes to answer each question. These questions are behavioral based and require that you use the STAR method. Next is the field day. You spend a day (8 hours) shadowing an RSR to get a feel for the job. My RSR was pretty awesome and covered a lot with me. The next step is to interview with the District Sales Manager of where you will be located via video. You are then asked behavioral questions again which are required to be answered using the STAR format. I am currently at this point. The next step is to interview with the Area Manager which is the final step. I can appreciate the interview process because it can ensure that they select the right person for the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you did not meet a deadline.

Are you willing to relocate?

Why Hershey/Sales?

Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Hershey Company.

This company is so unprofessional. First of all, I got contacted by a recruiter online about this job and she explained to me the job and benefits. I then had to a video interview that lasted 30mins. They said I would hear back within one week if I was chosen to move forward. I didn't hear back until two weeks later that I was chosen. Then it took over a month to schedule a field day with a rsr. This rsr made me do physical work even though it's against company rules. I had to carry boxes, open boxes, stock shelves, and at one point I had to stock a whole shelve by myself while the rsr left me. Regardless, I got an email from another recruiter to pick out locations that I wanted to relocate to. I picked my top four and it took over two weeks to get back to me with a day for my panel interview. It was a video interview with the district manager of my desired location. The area manager wasn't there. The district manager looked like she just rolled out of bed. Her hair was in a messy bun and wearing a sweatband. Her dog barked a couple times throughout the interview. Told me the cities I wanted to relocate to were already filled even though the website said there were still openings. Said I would hear back within a week. Three weeks later, not hearing anything, I emailed my recruiter if she had any word and all I got was a genetic rejection email. Not even a personal rejection email. That's the most rude, unprofessional, cowardly, lazy way to say no. I spent over three months on this interview process, took off work at my current job, worked so hard at my field day that I was sweating and after all this, I got a genetic rejection email. I'm extremely angry and disappointed and annoyed. I'm never buying another hershey product again.

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company.

Interview process starts with an initial phone interview, followed by a web based interview, a day in the field and finally a panel interview. The phone interview is straight forward, the recruiter explains the role and talks to you about your resume. The web based interview consists of 9 questions which you are expected to answer in the STAR format. Most of the questions are based on you past experiences in sales and building relationships. Be prepared to go into detail and prepare thoroughly if this is your first web interview, it is a different experience!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a difficult customer you have faced and how you won them over.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company.

First is a phone interview, then a virtual interview mostly consisted of why you want the position and STAR format questions. Field day is followed which consists of going out into the field with a Retail Sales rep learning and seeing if the job is for you. Next is the panel interview

Interview Questions
    • Why sales? Why Hershey? A time where you had show data to support a claim?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

Met at my university's Career Fair and got an interview for the next day. It lasted about a half hour and the interviewer was very nice. They asked about salary and relocation, and then some simple experience questions and CAR/STAR format questions. About a week later, I got an email saying I made it through to the next level, which is a field day with an RSR. I applied online that day.

I haven't scheduled the field day yet, but I definitely hope to continue with the process and land the job!

Interview Questions
    • CAR or STAR format: What was a time you went above and beyond the expectations?   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in September 2014.

I applied then got an email to schedule a phone interview. I completed the phone interview and was asked to complete the video interview within three days. I completed the video interview and got an email the next day to schedule a field day. I attended the field day and got an email the next day asking me to attend an in person interview with the District Manager. I got an email the next day saying it went great and I would have one final phone interview with the Regional Manager for my desired location. I was told it would last an hour. The Regional Manager asked me two questions, which my answers were extremely strong for, then ended the interview. It lasted fifteen minutes. He did not even give me the respect of a full interview. Then, they said I would hear back in one week. When I did not hear back, I emailed the HR rep I was working with. Three days later on a Sunday night, I got a system generated rejection email. After five interviews, I was not even given the decency of a personal email. Even after the HR rep and my interviewers all had told me how much they liked me and thought I was a great fit. So, I was extremely confused by this. I decided to email the HR rep, say thank you for your time and consideration, what did I do wrong so I can improve for next time? It has been a month and I never got a response. I think that was extremely rude and disrespectful. I believe the organization has a lot to learn on professionalism. Then again, why would I want to work for a company that treats potential employees this way?

Interview Questions
    • Standard STAR model questions. Be prepared to know about Hershey's and have solid examples for typical interview questions. Also, have examples tailored to sales specific questions.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

I applied online through their website and they got back to me as soon as the next morning wanting to schedule a phone interview. The phone rang and they did most of the talking. It lasted exactly four minutes to the dot and then it was over. Asked if i was willing to relocate. I said yes but not outside of Texas. Two weeks later I received my rejection letter.

Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Hershey, PA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at The Hershey Company.

First you have a phone interview, then a video interview, then a field day, and then a face to face with the hiring manager.

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Hershey Company in March 2014.

Applied through a university website, then asked to apply on Hershey's website. Heard back right away about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was very easy and standard- no hard questions. She explained to me the job in more depth which is an out-of-home job traveling to different stores in my territory. After agreeing that the job description was okay, I was required to do a video interview within the next two days. The video interview process was very uncomfortable for me. You have 5 minutes to answer each question and then move on to the next one. There were 9 questions in total and about half were STAR format.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you used data to support your claim when you were trying to persuade someone   Answer Question
    • What would you do and what would you say to store managers to secure a blockbuster location in a store?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to convince a customer otherwise   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you think you would be a good fit for this role   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you made a big accomplishment at work and were recognized   Answer Question