The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – Initial Phone call from Corporate Human Resource, followed up by a interview with the store manager and possibly Human Resource, Back ground and drug test, Begin a 6 week training program at Corporate home office. Then Detailed training at your base store. Must learn computer processes and alarms, all operational procedures.

Interview Question – Tell me of a time, that you have failed, what did you learn from it, and how would you prevent it from reoccurring.   Answer Question

Manchester, NH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on line. Received a call from Home Depot 3 days later. I was sent a link to take an online test. It took about 30 Minutes. Was called back next day to set up interview. The interview was the same week. The interview was one and half hours long.

Interview Question – Questions where all situation, questions-Tell me a time when you handled a tough situation with an associate.
There was also a role play - handling a customer situation
  View Answer

Pensacola, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2013.

Interview Details – About a 20-30 min interview process. Questions are broad based and mostly centered around " tell me about a time when" or, "what would you do if" They make you feel very comfortable during the entire process.

Interview Question – What do you see as your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Assistant Manager

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2010.

Interview Details – I met the Store Manager at the front door of the building and he began to walk so fast that I couldn't keep up with him. When we made it to the office and sat down he told me that I failed because I didn't walk at his pace to the office.

Interview Question – All the questions were very basic relating to customer service.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Always remember that if you accept an offer you are the one that accepted it. Do not be bitter in the future towards management because you don't get paid enough.

Niles, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details – Must do a 1 hour store walk thru before interview, however they barely ask during the interview. Initial interview is with the store management, then a second interview with the District Management.

Interview Question – Not all Store Managers require, but there is a role play portion of the interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – they use a standard STAR format, questions are typical, no originality at all to get to know the real person. they go strictly off a point system, so if you know the right answers, youll get the job whether you are qualified or not

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiation, salary is what it is take it or leave it

Denver, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2009.

Interview Details – Interview was a formality. I was preselected based on performance

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had an effithical dilemma at work, what happened , and what was the result of your actions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Able to negotiate. They try to offer as little as 42k, but if they want you, it's negotiable

Very Easy Interview

Denver, CO

I applied through other source and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2009.

Interview Details – The initial interview process can be frustrating as the communication can be inconsistent and unreliable for dates, times, and places. When you do get to the hiring portion you will be administered an online test that is composed of three major sections, primarily Leadership Acumen, Management Acumen, and Business Acumen. After that you are conducted to an interview that last roughly 30 - 45 minutes.

Interview Question – Nearly all questions will be a variant of, "Name a time or example when, such and such occurred...". Example: "Provide an example of when you had to manage two or more associates who did not get along, but the success of the assignment was incumbent upon cooperation of the entire team. How did you correct the quarreling associates? What specific actions/steps did you take to correct the problem? Were you successful in achieving cooperation? What was the outcome of the assignment?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They ask you what you believe the pay should be. They immediately return with their offer which is in fact a fixed rate. If you disagree and provide a counter offer you will rebuffed with a take it or leave it answer. There is a feigned appearance of negotiation. There in fact is not one.

Assistant Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Corporate Recruiter Called, Phone interview was about twenty minutes

Interview Question – Where have you been least sucessful in your professional career?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered and I countered they met my request

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – RMA interview and Fit Interview with store are virtually same question types. Almost all revolves about situations and how you handled them. Always want to be specific and use a time you actually did it. Don't really want to be hypothetical unless you are backed up against the wall and really have nothing pertinent. Name a time you had to lead a team and what was the result. Name a time you had to approach the development of one of your associates. Try to answer them as an ASM and how you impacted the supervisor level vs associate level. Always use Situation, Action, Result format. Don't forget the Result!

Interview Question – Name a time you had to cater to a specific demographic like a student, military, retired. What resistance did you reach? What was the result of the interaction?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No real negotiation involved. The call comes generally from a DM and not many people would have the BA!!S to negotiate with them. It's almost a form of disrespect. Offer was fair I thought.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!