The Home Depot

Updated Oct 20, 2014

2.8

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Assistant Manager Interview

The first interview I had was with HR. The second interview was with the store manager of te store i wanted to work at. It took about five days for them to make a choice. Once they made a choice I was called to come in and they made me an offer.

Interview Questions
  • It was structured preview questions that most jobs ask. You can use scenarios from your previous job to help answer the questions.   Answer Question
Yes you are able to negotiate. The more experience the more you can ask for.

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Assistant Manager Interview

Initial Phone call from Corporate Human Resource, followed up by a interview with the store manager and possibly Human Resource, Back ground and drug test, Begin a 6 week training program at Corporate home office. Then Detailed training at your base store. Must learn computer processes and alarms, all operational procedures.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me of a time, that you have failed, what did you learn from it, and how would you prevent it from reoccurring.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, NH

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

Applied on line. Received a call from Home Depot 3 days later. I was sent a link to take an online test. It took about 30 Minutes. Was called back next day to set up interview. The interview was the same week. The interview was one and half hours long.

Interview Questions
    • Questions where all situation, questions-Tell me a time when you handled a tough situation with an associate.
      There was also a role play - handling a customer situation
        View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niles, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Must do a 1 hour store walk thru before interview, however they barely ask during the interview. Initial interview is with the store management, then a second interview with the District Management.

Interview Questions
    • Not all Store Managers require, but there is a role play portion of the interview.   Answer Question

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

they use a standard STAR format, questions are typical, no originality at all to get to know the real person. they go strictly off a point system, so if you know the right answers, youll get the job whether you are qualified or not

there was no negotiation, salary is what it is take it or leave it

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Corporate Recruiter Called, Phone interview was about twenty minutes

Interview Questions
    • Where have you been least sucessful in your professional career?   View Answer
    They offered and I countered they met my request

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot in July 2013.

About a 20-30 min interview process. Questions are broad based and mostly centered around " tell me about a time when" or, "what would you do if" They make you feel very comfortable during the entire process.

Interview Questions
    • What do you see as your greatest weakness?   View Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

RMA interview and Fit Interview with store are virtually same question types. Almost all revolves about situations and how you handled them. Always want to be specific and use a time you actually did it. Don't really want to be hypothetical unless you are backed up against the wall and really have nothing pertinent. Name a time you had to lead a team and what was the result. Name a time you had to approach the development of one of your associates. Try to answer them as an ASM and how you impacted the supervisor level vs associate level. Always use Situation, Action, Result format. Don't forget the Result!

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to cater to a specific demographic like a student, military, retired. What resistance did you reach? What was the result of the interaction?   Answer Question
    No real negotiation involved. The call comes generally from a DM and not many people would have the BA!!S to negotiate with them. It's almost a form of disrespect. Offer was fair I thought.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Usually two interviews first with an assistant manager than one with the store manager.
    Easy questions basically asking what would u do if put in a certain situation

Pay is a set amonut so it was not negotiable

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in September 2012.

Home Depot tends to hire management staff internally.

Interview Questions
    There was no real negotiation. They had a set salary.