The Home Depot Assistant Store Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.8

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

What a mess - Vets stay away
I came in for an assistant manager position that was advertised on the main home depot corporate site as well as locally. The first time I arrived the manager did not even show up. I rescheduled for another interview and the manager told me that the job was already filled and tried to get me some slightly above minimum wage job. Home Depot does not value education or leadership experience.

Veterans stay away! It is not veteran friendly unless you are looking for a minimum wage job. Look at the yearly turnover. Its staggering and very indicative of how they have evolved. There are no former electricians, plumbers, carpenters in their ranks and you surely do not need to be low balled into this company if you are coming out of the military. Go else where and prosper!

Interview Questions

• Questions were juvenile and hardly worth mentioning. More time was spent talking about the poor hours and how hard it is on the family.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Interview

Most questions for hourly associates are specific to customer service. Generally interviewees have no experience of the industry and this is okay. As long as you have customer service skills, Home Depot will hire you.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding parts of the business, which new associates generally know nothing about. If you've never worked in construction or a related retailer, during the interview use a "what if" scenario to help you answer the question.   1 Answer

Assist Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview

Initial RMA questions were pretty general, but finished with a roleplay that was specific. Make sure that you sell yourself and talk. I did not talk enough about myself, so the interview did not go that well. The second phase of a FIT interview with the Store Manager went better, but you still need to convince them that you are the best candidate for the job.

Interview Questions

• Nothing very difficult, just make sure that you sell yourself.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

There are several interviews in one day, following an skills test. The interviews are behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions

• the interviewers body language. they are trained to show no emotion   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was very little negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I was promoted from within the company. I attended 2 months of mentored training before taking a management assessment. The finale of the assessment was a panel interview. The next steps were a fit interview based on needs of location and position. The fit interview was a one-on-one interview.

Interview Questions

• Be ready to tell a good story about your experiences that qualify you for the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Algonquin, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot (Algonquin, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

They called to reschedule my first interview with the regional manager. When I showed up for my next appointment with that manager, I was instead turned over to another manager in her department.who not only wasn't able to answer most of my questions and kept referring me back to the first manager but who also thought that I wouldn't notice him texting in his lap throughout my entire time in his office. I rescheduled with the first manager who asked that I meet her at the store. After getting to the store and waiting for a while I received a phone call saying that she could not make our appointment. On my fourth attempt we were finally able to sit down. We met for 1/2 hour and although I had all of the qualifications for the job that I was applying for, including many years of managerial experience, I never heard from her again.

Interview Questions

• I did not encounter any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Assist Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2009.

Interview

The interview was in a 3 part section. First was a Business Accumen test where they tested your knownledge of home depot and how and what you could do to improve your stores sales, moral, and etc. Then there was a Customer Relations test where they gave you customer relations situations and asked you how you would handle it. Then came an interview with a store manage and the district manager.

Interview Questions

• What if everyone in your store were tenured associated and knew what there were doing and did it well and did not need your help with anything, what would you do then?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot (Saint Louis, MO) in July 2009.

Interview

After the phone interview. Spent five hours taking test and had a 2 on 1 interview. I was told all part of the hiring process are numbered then you get a toral score. When a store need someone they pull from the top people and interview at the store. Some questions in my interview were difficult, diversity in the workplace how to handle it. They need to update the questions.

Interview Questions

• After I was done with all the interviews and testing.   1 Answer

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Both internal and external hires go through the same process. You will participate in a Retail Management Assesment, a testing session that include 3 written tests (financials, customer service, and leadership) as well as an interview.

Interview Questions

• If you are an external hire, some of the questions may be difficult as they are Home Depot related from a backgound standpoint.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I would research the salary behind this job and negotiate from that. However, if you get a low salary, you will make up for it in bonuses, stock awards, and benefits.

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Very intense. 1-on-1 interview first. Then move to testing... Yes testing. Several "surveys" (as they call them) to complete - customer service skills, management aptitude, & business acumen. Then, debating on your scores amongst all candidates who applied, you will move on to a district level "pit" interview.

Interview Questions

• They will ask ethical questions that include the opportunity to increase sales   1 Answer