The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
205 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Utica, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details – Pretty simple questions if you have ever worked retail. A lot about dealing with customers. Had to interview with two separate people then they offered me the job. Must take drug screen within 48 hours.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to use speed and accuracy to complete a task.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really any negotiation. They only pay $8.50 for cashiers.

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Applied online, in about 4 days I was called in for an interview, they asked basic questions about the type of person I was, and such. After the interview they said that I had to go for a drug test that day. You can't reschedule. I got the job the next day after the drug screen.

Interview Question – Asked about the founders of the company. I researched before hand but I forgot the names towards the middle of the interview. The interviewer was nice about it and said I learn them pretty quick while working there.   Answer Question

Corona, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details – I put in an application and then about a week later I received a call to do a phone interview. The phone interview was basically asking about when did you go beyond and above and what kind of experience do you have. A week later I got an in person interview and there was a lot of what if questions and how you would help the customer questions. There was questions like since you are the last person the customer sees what would you do.

Interview Question – What would you do if a person needed a fitting with a certain pipe piece.   View Answer

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2011.

Interview Details – It was based on my long application from online, with questions on my experience level and ability to multi task. It felt more like a personal conversation then one for a job. I felt my going to college was not something they would work with I had to adjust my schedule to accommodate the job. Was not good

Interview Question – none   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – show practical experience in the interview was not expected , but easy to do. Very common interview questions like why you want to work for us even after having a college degree.

Interview Question – doing demo for helping in the store   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details – After application was submitted, I got a phone interview from Atlanta. The next trick was to schedule an in person interview at the site with the asm and store manager. Between their vacations, work schedules, and my schedule, it took another 3 weeks before I actually got hired.

Interview Question – Tell about a time when you solved a problem for a customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was already above minimum wage and it was only a part time job.

Lawrence, KS

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was easy. Asked five easy straight forward questions. It was hard to find where the interview would take place. But my interviewer was nice and relaxed which made the process less anxious for me.

Interview Question – What do you think great customer service entails?   View Answer

Lexington, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone screening first, then I sat down with the Hiring manager. The interview was easy and typical as far as retail interviews go. They asked the same ten questions I had been asked at with interviews from Lowes and Target. They write down all of your responses and rate each of your questions on a scale from 1-5.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the Home Depot?
Why should we hire you?
(Ok, these First two I made up, but they are something to think about. The rest are from my actual interview experience)

Tell me about a time when you had to take the lead on a project or task. How did that work out? What was your success, what could you do differently?

Do you have accomplishments that you are particularly proud of?

Tell me about a time when you had to improvise because you had limited resources or time?

Tell me about your experience in customer service?

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an upset customer. How did you resolve the situation and ensure the customer was happy?

How do you do in social situations where you are the new comer? (How comfortable are you with new people?

You have to do a task and your shift is coming to an end. You know it won't be completed before the end of your shift. What do you do?

Tell me about your best character trait? What is your worst trait?

You're in the middle of a complex task and a customer interrupts you to as a question. What do you do? (Hint: they are very big on HELP THE CUSTOMER!!!)
  Answer Question

Cashier

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I filled out an app online and received a phone call about a week later. It was a 1:1 interview. Manger asked a few general questions.You will know on the spot whether you will get hire or not. Pretty basic interview nothing to it. Talk about customer service.

Interview Question – It was a situation question to see how you would react.If an angry customer come in yelling and screaming for a manger but you have your hands full with another customer. How would you hand this situation?   Answer Question

Porter, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details – The hiring process is relatively simple. You go online and put in an application. They will send you an email letting you know that they have received your application. After reviewing your application they will send you another email letting you know if they're interested, including a number for you to call to have a phone interview. If the phone interview goes well they will immediately let you know the date and time of your in store interview. The in store interview is not very hard and the interviewers are very polite. They decide if they want you to work for them that day and if they do, they send you off for a drug test. After about a week they get your results and call you back if you come back clean. They then set an appointment for you to come in and fill out your paper work, making you an official Home Depot employee. You begin lots of training videos with four or five hour shift for about five days out of the week until you finish all of your videos. The amount of time you spend in the computer room depends on what department you work in.

Interview Question – They ask a lot of questions for examples of situations that you were a great employee who went above and beyond to help the customer get all the help that they need.   Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!