The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details – Standardized online test of 75 - 80 questions of work situations and basic math...no way to know how you did..
Then interview in person answering 4 - 5 similar. Interviewer uninterested and distracted. Did explain job well...positives and negatives.
Then big meeting with store manager to be presented job offer.

Interview Question – Numerous questions asked about solving workplace problems yourself or going to supervisor   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Low salary and no incentives

Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

Interview Details – it takes about 2 month to hear back after online app, got a recording then appointment set for interview had 2 on diff weeks and was hired on the last one.

Interview Question – What makes you want to work for home depot?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Really there is no negotiating them have a set rate which they pay in each job.

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Online obvious questions. In-person interviews simply make sure you're honest and (in my experience) we extremely short. No questions were asked about who I am as a person.

Interview Question – Just admit you don't what something is or know how to do something. There is plenty of training later, but there can be trap questions to see if you'll like about a fictional tool/process.   Answer Question

State College, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details – First there was a phone interview, followed by an in-store interview.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult.   Answer Question

Customer Service Associate

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details – I completed an online application on a Tuesday and received an email on Friday at approximately 2:00 pm stating they would be calling to conduct a phone interview. I received a call at 5:00 pm and was asked six questions that required a simple answer of yes or no. I was asked a few more questions regarding experience and skills. At the end of the phone interview, an in-person interview was set up for Monday at 10:00 am at the Home Depot where the position was offered. The interview was with two women who were very friendly and put me at ease. While one asked the questions, the other took notes on my answers. I was asked seven questions involving how I would handle various situations and also required me to explain situations I experienced and their end result. I was told at the end of the interview that they would be conducting interviews throughout the remainder of the week. However, I received a phone call at 4:30 pm that very same day and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had a challenging customer. What was the difficult or challenging situation, how did you handle it, and what was the end result?   Answer Question

Kennesaw, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2013.

Interview Details – As expected, apply, online test, interview.

Interview Question – Typical questions they want answers to, times you dealt with difficult situations, customers, what qualifies you...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, but any lateral move is like a raise and prepares you to move elsewhere

Howell, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Onsite interview with HR and department manager. Standard old school interview reviewing details from my resume and asking superficial questions about my background. They appeared to review my resume just moments before I arrived or during the interview. In their defense, the economy was terrible and I was substantially over qualified for a part time position.

Interview Question – They asked nothing difficult or unexpected.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations at all. It was take it or leave it.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Very brief straight to the point interview.Typical questions. Why do you want to work etc.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer asks about something you aren't familiar with.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – if you have retail exp. do not be afraid to negotiate pay

Dearborn, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in-store and then received an email from retail staffing the same day. I called and a phone interview was conducted and then my store interview was scheduled. I went in for two interviews, but my hours of availability did not work for Garden Recovery (the position I was originally interviewed for). They called me in for one more interview, turns out there was no interview conducted at all, I was offered the job!

Interview Question – Have you ever shopped at The Home Depot? A yes will not automatically get you the job.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, $9.50/hr.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!