The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2013.

Interview Details – Very thorough interview process and on line application, good questions, friendly comfortable environment, very professional staff, very helpful managers, very willing to answer my questions, open to my work life balance and willing to work around my schedule.

Interview Question – What experience do you have with direct customer interface?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not able to negotiate

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2011.

Interview Details – I worked as a cashier beforehand so my interview process was a simple role playing followed by questions.

Interview Question – The role play was hardest for me because in the heat of an altercation you never know what do or say but I know Home Depot values professionalism and taking care of the customer so of course those values must be repressented.   Answer Question

Kennesaw, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2013.

Interview Details – Emailed regarding position that was applied for by Human Resources. Was given a date and time for the interview within a reasonable time period. Had to take an personality and skills assessment prior to interview. On the day of the interview, was interviewed by a total of three people. First interview was before two supervisors for the company. It consisted of answering basic questions about work history and certain work scenarios. Second part of the interview took place one member of senior management. After the last interview, a tour of the facility was performed. After waiting several minutes, job was offered and paperwork was completed. Informed of start date and training schedule.

Interview Question – Have you ever had any type of a conflict with a coworker and how was it resolved?   Answer Question

Jacksonville, NC

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2013.

Interview Details – i applied online and within a week, i received a call for an initial phone screen, after the phone screen, i was called in for an in-house interview at the jacksonville store, and that went quite well; the interview was extremely easy and calm. the person conducting the interview was very relaxed and in turn, so was i.

Interview Question – how would you handle a customer that is disatisfied and is being difficult   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation on offer

Birmingham, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for a position at a store that was newly built. I orginally went with my sister and decided to apply myself. They had paper applications and they were set up at the Jameson Inn because the store was not yet suitable for people. It took them about 3 weeks to contact me because my number was wrong. They actually contacted me at the jobs I was employeed at and my manager told me they called. After I completed my first interview I had a second interview and I was offered a job. The pay was more than I expected but I still negotiated for a little bit more.

Interview Question – All questions were typical   Answer Question

Marietta, GA

I applied online and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online and a few weeks later they sent me an online assessment to complete. After that they sent me an email to select an interview date and time. I was then interview twice. The first time was all situation based questions. After this interview I was asked to wait in the lobby and then had a second interview the same day. The second time they asked why do you want to work here and other basic questions. Although another candidate said during their second interview they were asked about the history of Home Depot. After the second interview I was asked to wait in the lobby again. I was offered a job that day before I left pending a background check and drug test.

Interview Question – All the questions were situation based; like describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer and tell me a time you had a problem you had to use several steps to solve. Just make sure to fully elaborate and use the STAR method to answer the questions and you'll be fine.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They were only offering a night shift position and it didn't fit with my school schedule.

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Left sitting waiitng for 2 hours while HR was out shopping. When she came back, she was wearing torn jeans and a t-shirt. I had apprehensions then, but decided Home Depot was where I wanted to work despite the appearance of the HR rep.

Interview Question – I don't recall being asked anything other than what rate of pay I expected and when I could start.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I told them what I wanted and they gave it to me.

Customer Service Representative

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – I learned about this job through the Urban League of Greater Atlanta. Before the actual interview you will meet an HR Rep-Kerri who is WONDERFUL. HD uses the STAR method to interview you. The HR rep asked about seven questions. Some of the questions included describe a time when you had conflict with a customer or co worker, describe a time when you had to upsell service, and describe a time you had a problem with a customer and how did you solve it. Know the history of HD (the year HD was founded, CEO of the company, year stocks went public etc)

Interview Question – Give me a time when you had to upsell a product?   Answer Question

Kennesaw, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2013.

Interview Details – This was for the call center in Kennesaw Ga.
The questions they ask based on situations. To begin I was first interviewed by 2 HR professionals. They asked their questions using a TASK or STAR approach. So take your time and really answer the questions with the most detail and literally tell them a story (Don't forget your eye contact!) I have a very bubbly personality and I honestly WANTED to work there.
The more you are engaged with the interviewers, the better your chances are. After the interview I shook hands and they asked me to wait out in the lobby. Next I was interviewed by another HR professional and she detailed what I would be doing and if I was okay with structure (coming from Walgreens it was refreshing I love the face to face, but it wasn't paying the bills lol). Then she asked for availability, etc. Again I shook hands with her and waited in the lobby again.
I was interviewed yet AGAIN by a third HR professional and was formally offered the position. I asked a couple more questions about the company and she ushered me in to fill out paperwork and get my drug test forms and the Background clearance forms.

Interview Question – "Tell me a situation in which something was broken and what did you do to fix it without a supervisor"
"Tell me how you would handle conflict between your coworkers"
"Tell me how you handled a difficult customer, what did you do to resolve the problem"
  View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – Their was no negotiation. It was a firm offer BUT once you are in, SO many opportunities come up.

Ogden, UT

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got interview two weeks later. Lengthy interview, multiple interviews were scheduled at the same time so it was first come first interviewed. They sat a group of four of us in a room for 30 minutes to have a supervisor play a 5 minute video about the company. After the video an interviewer pulled us out one by one for a 2 on 1 interview which lasted about 10 minutes.

Interview Question – Pretty standard customer service interview- Tell me of a time you had an upset customer and how did you resolve the situation. Tell me of a time when you had a situation that you could not solve and what did you do.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Got offered a better position at a different company

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!