The Home Depot

12 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Freight Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot in October 2014.

First the man looked at me crazy acted as if he was intimidated by me than started asking me questions like have I ever worked freight before and all this extra BS it was very un professional not informative at all.

Interview Questions
    • Then he asked if I was homosexual and I said I don't understand what that has to do with the interview I'm not gay. Then he asked me if this is my only job.   View Answer

Sales Associate - Seasonal Lawn and Garden Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

after you submit your application online you will then get a telephone interview call, they will ask you a few questions about the job its self, to see if you are a good fit for the position and if you are still interested in the position or not, if you say you are still interested in the job you will then get an appointment set for a face to face interview with the hiring manager at the store where you applied to.

Interview Questions
    • asking you if you know correct names of plants, and tools, and how to use the correct tools properly and correctly and how you would demonstrate the tool.   View Answer

Part Time Permanent Bilingual Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Online application, online assessment, brief visit with cashier manager, phone interview, one in person interview, and drug test. Try to apply in spring for they need people for summer. Home improvement occurs when the weather is nice.

Interview Questions
    • Customer service is the key. If you have recent experience in customer service, interview is a breeze. However, they hire cashiers without experience too. Just show them that you are nice, sincere, and easy to get along with. Treat them like you would treat your own family. Home Depot is like a big family.

Benefits for permanent part-time: PTO, sick leave, 401(K), stock purchase plan, dental, vision, hospital, critical illness, success sharing, and time and a half for working on holidays (need to verify this because I’m not very sure since I’m new).

More perks for part-time: friendly co-workers, flexible scheduling (can work on weekends only), and get to wear jeans (so you don’t have to buy a different wardrobe for work).

Sadly, NO MEDICAL INSURANCE. Have to buy Obamacare.

Timeline for cashier:

· First time applied, waited for six months, no response.
      · Applied again for the second time. Waited for a week. No response. Went into the store and talked to manager of cashiers. Gave her my name, phone number, and SSN.
      · Later received a phone interview.
      · Weeks later, invited for interview with cashier manager I talked to while I was in the store.
      · One week after first interview, called in for second interview but it was not an interview. HR just told me to go get a drug test then she ordered a background check at that moment.
      · Started working the following week.
      · From applying the second time to hiring, it had been two months, excluding the preceding six months.

Questions are paraphased. I don’t remember the exact questions.

Phone interview. The questions are the following:

1. Tell me a time you went above and beyond in your job.
      2. Tell me a time you worked with a team. What was your role? How did it turn out?

First in-person interview. The questions are the following:

1. Tell me how you qualify for the job.
      2. Tell me a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?
      3. Tell me one thing you had to do accurately or tell me a time you had to multi-task.
      4. How do you provide good customer service? Why is it important to provide good customer service?
      5. At the end of the day, what do you enjoy most about working at Home Depot?

If you have a second interview with another manager. The questions are as follow:

1. Why did you leave the job before your last job? (It’s okay to say that the pay was more that’s why you left the job before your last one. The manager will be understanding.)
      2. Why do you want to work for Home Depot? (Be sure to mention the employees are very nice. They treat each other with respect. It’s like a big family at Home Depot. This is very true.)

Answer Question
    No negotiation. Pay was mentioned during phone interview. HR just gave me a print out that showed my pay rate. No discussion about pay at all.

Greeter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot in April 2013.

I filled out an application online then called the store a few days later to see if I'd be able to schedule an interview. The HR Supervisor was very friendly and scheduled me for an interview the next day. I went in, she asked me the standard interview questions (previous job experience, tell me about yourself, etc.) then told me what the starting pay would be, the hours I'd be working, so on and so forth. I was instructed to take a drug test and submit consent for a background check and that was that. The process took longer than average because I was not not notified right away (my own fault, phone problems) when my background and drug tests came back clear but despite that, it was quick. I came back to the store the day after I spoke to her and started orientation/training.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions, they were pretty basic and predictable.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, that's what I was offered and I wasn't going to pass on the money.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in February 2013.

They do these job fairs a couple times a year. They go by the eye test more than by qualifications, as they will approach only certain people in the group. I was interested and qualified but had to pursue the sales managers in order to gain attention. Once that happened, it was smooth sailing.

Interview Questions
    • There were no technical questions...just a sales job by the branch manager that I'd do well if I could pass the drug test and background check.   Answer Question

Pro Account Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2012.

As long as you have some experience and enthusiasm and pass the drug test you have a pretty good chance for a job.

Interview Questions
    • They give typical customer service questions and scenarios. For Example, "What was your most difficult customer and how did you handle it to get a positive result?"   Answer Question
    This is the position and what we pay. Do you accept?

Freight Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lakewood, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

The hiring process was good once you are able to get an interview. They make decisions within a few days. 1 or 2 face to face interviews and that's it.

Interview Questions
    • I was applying for an overnight shift and the interviewer asked if I liked to sleep at night or during the day. Did I mention that I was interviewing for the graveyard shift?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Inventory Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

The over all process was great and i felt comfy the whole time !

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castle Rock, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castle Rock, CO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in August 2010.

The interview process was relatively easy. I was called by a representative from their centrally located HR group in Atlanta. This person did a very brief 4 question interview. They would ask questions such as "describe a situation where you went out of your way to focus on customer service" or "describe a situation where you fostered a team environment to complete a task". I was then called by the local HR rep who scheduled an interview. This interview was with the store operations ASM and it lasted about 20 minutes. I was offered the job on-site.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you fostered a team environment to solve a complex problem or issue.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation available.

Department Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thornton, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thornton, CO

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot in January 2010.

It's pretty much a if you're "in" with the management at your store. They know who they will promote before they conduct interviews. I interviewed as a favor to my favorite asst. manager for Front End Supervisor because he had to conduct a certain number of interviews. I didn't even want that position; but I excelled in Customer Service and when I interviewed for Hardware Dept. Supervisor I breezed through it.

Interview Questions
    • If you have worked for the depot long enough and know that you are "empowered' to help customers there are no surprising or difficult questions.   Answer Question
    You pretty much should take a 1.60/hr. raise. They can find someone else, every associate is expendable.