The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
55 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Albany, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

Interview Details – All about excellent customer service !!! Answer with as many details as possible it helps trust me don't come looking like a slob. Don't be late! Think before you answer and have the most open schedule available as possible including weekends this is a must!

Interview Question – How to handle difficult customers   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations they tell you what they're offering take it or leave it

Rochester, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2011.

Interview Details – Two Interviews, first was on the phone asking basic questions. The second is all out of cooperate packet and is scored 1-6 out of 6 questions, you need 18 Points to be considered for further questioning. Store manager may or may not sit with candidate.

Interview Question – Time that team work got the job done, but what obstacles did you have to overcome.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Pay was on a scale based on experience. Bilingual candidates have more pull.

Department Supervisor

I applied online and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I was interviewed 8 years ago but still applies arrive early like 30 mins. interviewing manager or assistant may not be ready. be calm and be through to give examples and explain all your training. The more you are trained to do the more options that they could give you a differnt role with higher pay.

Interview Question – Explain a difficut situation that you dealt with a assocaite and how did you turn it arround to a positive one.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tampa, FL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Applied and was interviewed as an outside candidate for a management position. Passed the process and elected to remain near home, accepted a DS position. Entered into the FAST TRACK promo at store 256. Under this program you work a few months in each department to learn HD's processes and be more ready for your leadership role.

Interview Question – Would you be interested in a management position in another city?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I met with the store Manager whom was pretty tough, but we came to an agreement of compensation and expectation I would be in a Management position in this market, as soon as my Fast Track Training was completed.

Department Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in December 2013.

Interview Details – very easy interview not hard questions very basic, i think this is one of the most easiest interviews i had but thats only because the manager brought me on board and he used to come into the restaurant where I worked and was impressed with my performance

Negotiation Details – they kept me at my same pay

Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2012.

Interview Details – This is my interview experience for the current position I hold with the company. I was informed that a supervisory position had become available when a salaried manager I had worked under in the past had contacted me and asked me to apply. After I submitted my application; I was contacted by the associate coordinator (HR) and asked if I could come in for a formal interview with the operations manager and a newly promoted assistant store manager. The interview questions centered around past customer service interactions as well as role play scenarios in which I was asked how might I handle specific customer interactions. The interview process was very laid back and lighthearted and only lasted about a half an hour. The following week I was contacted by the associate coordinator who then offered me the position and asked me to come in and finalize the process by signing some paperwork.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions with respect to previous customer based interactions.   Answer Question

Department Supervisor

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Honestly the only way to really get an interview is to know someone in the store you are applying to. I applied 5 times in 2 years and never got an interview even though I was clearly over qualified for the position I was applying for.

Interview Question – Just about customers in bad situations... and what you did to alleviate them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation of wages is allowed

Thornton, CO

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details – It's pretty much a if you're "in" with the management at your store. They know who they will promote before they conduct interviews. I interviewed as a favor to my favorite asst. manager for Front End Supervisor because he had to conduct a certain number of interviews. I didn't even want that position; but I excelled in Customer Service and when I interviewed for Hardware Dept. Supervisor I breezed through it.

Interview Question – If you have worked for the depot long enough and know that you are "empowered' to help customers there are no surprising or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You pretty much should take a 1.60/hr. raise. They can find someone else, every associate is expendable.

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2013.

Interview Details – Application submitted online. One interview to obtain first position. Promoted to Supervisor following interviews for two Supervisor positions. Their interview process is quite structured. Not overly challenging. I felt more comfortable than the interviewers.

Interview Question – Questions not difficult   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not much.

Department Supervisor

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – You apply for any job at THD online. If they want to see you you are then called down for an interview with an assistant manager or store manager. There is another application to fill out. At that time they may decide to offer you a job. Be sure to negotiate the best salary they will accept at the time since your raises are small at THD (usually a quarter a year (or fifty cents if you are a SUPER employee!))

Interview Question – Have you ever lied to a customer or done anything dishonest in the course of business?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked for a certain dollar figure and explained I deserved it. They countered with their best offer. (it was higher than that position usually started at, Note: They do not have a standard scale. Pay is negotiated with certain guidelines.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!