The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Oneonta, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2009.

Interview Details – I applied online and had to wait a month for a response but as soon as I was in for a face to face interview it went by quickly. Asked about customer service and putting the customer first. Discussed how far I would go to be trained in different jobs around the store. Willingness and ability to work with others.

Interview Question – How to handle difficult customers and make a sale   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Flooring Associate Interview

Flooring Associate
Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – Filled out application online, checked all positions, answered online questionnaire. The questions were STAR format (look up and study STAR questions). Shortly after, I received a basic phone interview. The first part was automated, next was with a live person that asked some STAR format, and basic questions. She scheduled me for a live interview. Nice polite phone call.

The interview was with 2 employees in the flooring department. They were also very nice, and asked questions related to my skills and the actual job. The interview was pleasant and informative. I checked back a week later, and they had promoted a current HD employee to Flooring. That's cool that this HD store promotes from within. I'll apply again. The only negative was the low pay. Depending on the position it's between $8 for cashiers and lot attendants, and about $10 to $11 for floor sales help. These are just estimates I gathered from the interview.

Interview Question – Tell me a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer, and how did you handle it?   View Answer

West Long Branch, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2009.

Interview Details – Just one interview and one meeting with the store manager. The traditional interview had very typical questions that any company would ask. A meeting with the store manager was after the interview, and it was just to show what the core values of Home Depot were. I believe they changed the procedure now, so it may be different for you.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Not really a negotiation, they have a set hourly rate for floor associates, and for cashiers.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tucson, AZ

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2010.

Interview Details – Online form, then contacted by phone, receive and email or call you have been selected for a face to face interview at which ever store has an opening

Negotiation Details – no a flat rate is told to you at the beginning of the interview. IE this job is for XYZ an all we can offer is $8.25 is that ok?

Floor Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2009.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by the hr manager then the store manager. Basic questions. They ask about customer service, how to respond to upset customers and so on so on so on so on so on so on so on so on so on so on so on so on. You get the idea.

Negotiation Details – Yes I told them what i expected and they agreeded.

Very Easy Interview

Brooklyn, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2012.

Interview Details – I would state that "MY" Hiring process was fairly a smooth transition I was let go from Lowe's on 8/13/2012 and I filled out an application to home depot the very same day and 8/20/2012 I did a over the phone interview with them, from there they asked me to come in, In person to do another interview that was scheduled for 8/23/2012. I was then officially hired 8/30/2012. I would state that this was the easiest Hiring and Interview process ever. Which by the way I've applied to Home depot several times in the pass and never recieved a response. I only assume that my previous experience of working with Lowe's is what really help me actually score the Job. Again the interview process was easy with basic interview questions (Examples: diffferent scenerio questions, How would you react or what would you do in certain situations questions when was there a time you went above and beyond weather on a job or in school question and etc. Nothing to hard. But this is my experience someone else's maybe different.

Interview Question – In my opinion there were no difficult or unexpected questions. I would say if anyone ever been on an interview before than its like the same basic questions but if its your first interview it still would be easy questions to answer just remember to be relaxed and to really engage into the questions, really take your time and think over your answer before you speak but do not over think it. Keep calm and be confident.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In my experience in was straight forward on the mangement end but, I was not really satisfied with my hourly pay I felt with the experience that I have. I should have been able to keep my same hourly pay from previously but insted I recieved $1 less then my previous salary. I really tried to point out my key points but it was like I could take it or leave it there was no way around it. so I accepted I'd rather have taken the $1 less than to have a minimum wage. I was told that after 90 days I could get a raise.

Floor Associate

I applied online and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Completed the profile on website. I was called for initial phone interview about a week later. 2 weeks later had face to face interview with assistant manager. The interview lasted about 45 minutes. I ivterviewed for one position but was told I would be considered for other positions as well. Offered a different position than I had initially interviewed for via phone call 2 days later.

Interview Question – A customer spends 30 minutes discussing a deck he wants to build but doesn't buy anything. What do you since he's taken 30 minutes of your time you could have used with other customers that are making purchases?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Asked if what I asked for was firm. I stated flexibility and was given close to what I asked for.

Very Easy Interview

Floor Associate

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2011.

Interview Details – I first received an email to let me know a phone interview would be happening within the next few days. A day later, I received a call from a regional center that screens applicants and asks basic questions regarding why you want to work there and how you would be an asset to the company. (All about customer service.) If you get through that interview, your name is sent to the store where you applied, and they call to set up an in person interview with the Assistant Manager that you would be working under. It was nearly a week before I was called.
The in-person interview was pretty easy. I am very over-qualified for the position, so some of my questions were tailored to asking me why I would want to work there. Questions were asks about how I would handle difficult customers, situations if they were out of a product, if I ever researched things outside of the job to stay on top of products, etc. I was then asked to give examples and detailed descriptions for answers.
A little over a week later, I was called for a second interview with the store manger, which essentially means you have the job. He only asked the questions, "What will you bring to the Home Depot?" and "Are you wiling to deliver exceptional customer service?"

I worked for Home Depot before, making a nice hourly wage, which he asked about (~$15/ hour as a Designer). He said he could only pay me $9.20 an hour for the associate position, and I might be able to move to a KD position, but I wouldn't make anywhere near what I was making before. I accepted the position, but began to reconsider after I ran all the numbers and talked to others about the way PT associates are scheduled. (By the way, they are only hiring PT now, to avoid giving FT benefits, unless it is a specialty position.) It had been over a week since the drug test and background check were run before they called. I talked to the human resource guy, and informed him that I was unable to make the numbers work (to pay for daycare, etc.), who replied by hanging up on me. I understand they spent money on the drug/ background check, but I also lost 2-3 days of work from my current job, gas, and time for the interview process, which I wouldn't have wasted time on, had I known they would pay me barely over minimum wage for my education, skills, and knowledge. I've known people to start at HD with none of those things for 10.50 an hour.
Their response told me everything I need to know about the company and all the reasons why I wouldn't want to work for them. I am a frequent customer, and will take my business to other stores now, as their behavior was completely unprofessional. Personally, I wanted to walk out when he offered $9.20 an hour, but I remained professional and tried to make it work.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if we were out of a product that I customer really wanted?   View Answer
  • How would you deal with an irate customer?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay was an insult to my knowledge (very well versed in construction practices and have renovated multiple homes), education, and experience. Pay was much lower than it was several years ago. I thought HD was supposed to be moving in a positive direction, but that's not what I saw behind the scenes.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!