The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
22 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Janesville, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Phone interview from corporate for about 15 minutes. 1st in-person interview with HR rep around 20 minutes with basic questions. 2nd in-person interview with assistant store manager similar to first interview. Received offer a few days later. Process took roughly 2 weeks.

Interview Question – Tell of a time you had to deal with a person with a complaint?
Tell of a time you were praised for doing great work?
How would you deal with an angry customer?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Warren, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details – A phone interview first, then an in-store interview. A drug test afterwards and finally a group meeting and testing. Very straight forward and nothing too difficult. The employers were friendly and very useful when you need help.

Interview Question – None. There were no real surprises from any of the interviews.   Answer Question

Freight Team Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – General interview questions. Nothing too difficult. Received a phone interview with generic questions. Was then called in to a 1 on 1 interview with manager. After that was brought in to sign paper work and computer training.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked on a project that required you to manage your time?   Answer Question

Tumwater, WA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2013.

Interview Details – The first contact for the interview process is a phone screening. I got a phone call from a number in Atlanta, GA and when I answered it was an automated voice on the line. The automation gives you a little bit of information in the form of yes or no questions and eventually connects you to a real person. This person is typing all of your responses so you have to speak clearly and concisely. Based on your responses to their questions, you may or may not get an interview later on. If you do get an interview, they'll call you for one just a couple days later. My interview was with one of the floor managers and she was friendly but slightly intimidating. They ask questions from a somewhat long list and write down your responses/their own comments about your responses. After you've completed the question portion, you either got the job or you didn't. She gave me some details about the job I'd be doing and I was given a form for drug testing and was sent on my way. After they got the drug test back I got a call to come in to fill out paperwork and then received the orientation schedule.

Negotiation Details – There's not really a negotiation. There's a company pay structure where each position has its own pay grade. Freight is paid more than minimum wage and that's all that mattered to me.

Merriam, KS

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty standard for an unskilled labor job. You going in answer the obvious questions about yourself, they make an offer and tell you (if it's not garden season and they really really need help) this is the best we can do for your experience, you accept or decline, and proceed to drug test. The background check did take some time though.

Interview Question – Since it was run of the mill, nothing was really surprising.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was pretty much told take it or leave it and I didn't have work at the time so I did.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initial interview by phone was basically script-read and to confirm interest and set up first face-to-face interview. Face-to-face questions seemed a bit more in depth than needed for a part time job unloading trucks and stocking shelves but would definitely weed out casual applicants and help in the team building concept.

Interview Question – Most questions were the "describe the time you ...." type of questions regarding projects, deadlines, and teamwork.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Found another part-time job in the meantime.

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – I arrived ten minutes before the scheduled time and the woman in charge of hiring escorted me to an office in the back of the store. The interview consisted of answering some fairly standard questions she read off a form and then filling in my responses.

Interview Question – They were all pretty straightforward questions, nothing difficult.   Answer Question

Randallstown, MD

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – Got a recorded telephone interview about 2 weeks after I applied. It asked me to answer one question about schedule flexibility. I agreed and Then it transferred me to a real person.

She told me the position was for Freight Associate, a position I did not apply for. $8.50/hr. Told me the requirements for it and all. Once I said I was interested she told me the date for the in person interview.

Which was today, 1:30pm. Got there at 1:10pm in which I asked went to the customer service and asked, where did I have to go. Guy at the customer service desk points me across the store somewhere.. After 5 minutes in which people were too busy with their personal conversations, to at least walk me find the office. I found it myself. This store was dead not busy at all.

I got to the HR office about 1:15-1:20, still 10 minutes early. HR office is empty, Okay I'm early. Apparently I'm the only interview today so whatever....1:30 she's not there. ok maybe she's just getting a drink.

Waited, Waited, Waited 1:45 still nothing, 1:50 at least an employee offers to let me sit in the employee room.. 1:55 comes and goes, 2:00 someone claims they saw her walking towards her car and driving off 20 minutes ago......REALLY? I waited another 5 min, but I was pissed off at this point . Still nothing. 2:10...So I waited in this store 40-50 minutes. Nothing.

After this experience just in the interview process I can see how Home depot probably treats their employees. Disorganization.. I would hate to see how a daily work life is.

Richfield, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details – The interviews are nothing special because the person whom does them admitted he doesn't like to give them. They kind of stuck him in the position whether he wanted to do it or not.

Interview Question – Just alot of ridiculous tests you have have to answer where most people cheat or just don't care or care less if they fail or not.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Great job opportunity with benefits.

Albuquerque, NM

I applied online and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Interviewed with Front End "Head Cashier"
asked six basic interview questions IE "Name a time when you went above and beyond your duties on the job" "What is your one strength and how can you improve on it" things like that.
I took my drug test the very next day, heard back from them 3 weeks later after calling SEVERAL times and getting nowhere on a start date.

Interview Question – There were absolutely ZERO difficult or unexpected questions. It's as if the interview questions came directly out of a box that read "ACME"
Did find out a computer combs through your application to say if your an acceptable applicant or not, so that was interesting. I wonder what kind of algorithm they have in place that would give a programmed AI credibility in choosing who is a worthy candidate or not.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Told me the hours, starting pay and if I accepted. I said yes.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!