The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – Online hiring. It was pretty easy not difficult at all.

Interview Question – No difficult   Answer Question

Kapolei, HI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Took about a week for interview, I called an kept checking up on app till she told me to come in and meet her. This was in Hawaii 7 years ago. Sat down with a group of 20 or more people(they dont do this anymore) Answered basic questions just had fun with it,tell your name what position you applied for,now a days home depot will take anyone right off the street for a job, loved my job working in garden ,switched around company from state to state department to department learning every end of the store.got hired on the spot, and started about 3 days later after urine test and background went through.USE to be a great company.

Interview Question – none really,really basic questions. what is your greatest weakness...   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Its hawaii no negotiation 10.50 to start .50 raises a year for 2 years up until company went to crap, you will get lucky if you get .15 raises a year now.

Amherst, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2012.

Interview Details – First you apply online. It did not take very long before I got a computer generated phone call, saying that they wanted to interview me over the phone. I called them back, and they interviewed me (I think it was from Corporate, because they read from a sheet asking me questions). The questions consisted of mostly customer service, and how you would react to stressful situations, etc. Remember...the customer comes first, and no matter how stressed out you may be, you cannot show that to the customer. You must help them as much as possible, and show them kindness and respect. If you cannot answer their question(s), you need to find someone who can. Customer satisfaction comes first with any retail position. Safety is way up on the list as well. Basically...the interview is common sense on how you should treat any other human being. The Golden Rule....do unto others as you would like them to do unto you. After I answered all of the questions, they told me about the position they had just interviewed me for, then they told me a dollar amount per hour that the position paid. They asked if it was acceptable. I said...yes. Then they set me up with an in-store interview. The in-store interview (which may or may not be at the store you will actually be working for), went pretty much the same. A few customer service questions, safety questions, and "what would you do in this situation" questions.

Interview Question – How did you handle a customer when you were very stressed out about completing other tasks put upon you, that had to be completed quickly.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate. I got the impression that it would not be acceptable to do so, but I could be wrong. I think I would try to negotiate, if I had it to do over again.

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2012.

Interview Details – apply online with a very detailed questionarre get called by someone from HR. set up in store interview with a store manager. go to interview and wait for an hour or more while the manager takes a break. answer questions that a third graded could articulate. urinate in a cup wait a week. go into store find out your application has been misfiled, wait another hour until they find your app. walk around the store and start the next day.

Interview Question – what is your name   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Wilkes Barre, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for a seasonal position so that is why it took so long to get hired. Went in person to check status of application and manager who hired me was very pleased with my persistence to get the job. I then was interviewed briefly and offered the job. I accepted and then had a few training sessions, but overall the process wasn't too long!

Interview Question – Name a time when you went above and beyond to help a customer?   View Answer

Moses Lake, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2011.

Interview Details – I submitted my application online on a friday and got a call from the hiring center on sunday withan inital phone interview with simple customer service related questions. they sceduled me a 1:1 in store interview for the following tuesday, and that interview was also laid back with only a couple of customer service experience related questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time a customer was angery and how you handled it?   View Answers (2)
  • describe how you would react if a customer came in to the store and looked confused.   View Answer

Garden Associate

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2009.

Interview Details – I applied for this job online and received a call a few days later for an interview with the store manager. It was a basic interview. We went over my availability, which seemed to be the most important aspect to the store manager. I had a second interview with one of the Assistant managers which had more structures questioning. They were interested in hiring someone with knowledge in the area they were applying to work in. I was called in for a third meeting which was with the store manager who offered me the position and gave me a little more money for having knowledge in horticulture.

Interview Question – Tell about a time when you had to deal with a difficult costumer or coworker and how did you handle to the situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get a little higher wage for having previous experience and expertise in the department to which I was applying to work.

Garden Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2008.

Interview Details – The interview process was very laid back, I came in filled out an application got a call back a few days later for an interview. The interview was one on one in a trailer he asked me a few questions about my experience and a few questions about what I would do in certain situations, how I would deal with difficult customer or something similar.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer up to you and started yelling because he/she was angry that we don't have the product they were looking for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wasn't really given the option to negotiate and later found out just about everyone in the department made a lot more money than me, I made cashier rate which is super.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!