The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
26 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Head Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was very smooth, nice and friendly, There was some brief questions asked and basically a feel to see if you align with the company, but overall nice. You are interviewed by usually the department head, the assistant manager of that unit and then the store manager. they all are pretty is going but themanager was a little blah. i guess he is more on the business end of things.

Interview Question – I do not think any question was difficult. I idea is to be honest about your skills, identify if you are a people person and move forward from there.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but was told about employee evalutions and how that would assist with an employee annual raise.

Green Bay, WI

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details – Applied within the store on their computer. Once application was filled out, it only took a couple of days to set up the interview. Received a phone call and had the interview the next day. After the interview, had an orientation class that lasted a couple days. Then I was hired.

Interview Question – Why are you right for this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Started at $9. No negotiation.

Salem, MA

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – Applied in person, talked with manager, was sent for a drug test and stared right away.

Interview Question – All questions were relative to my work experience and straight forward.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dearborn Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – The interview process so far was about 3 weeks. However, I didn't get a call until about 3 weeks after I applied. I got the phone interview first. After the phone interview the staffing rep said there wasn't any slots open for store interview yet but she gave me a con number and told me to call everyday to check for open slots. I could never find an open slot after calling for about a week so I stopped. about 3 weeks later I got an email that they tried to contact me and to call and schedule an app for interview. I went in for the interview the end of that same week and the assistant manager said he would be calling a week from now to schedule an interview with the store manager. Will update after the second interview.

Interview Question – What do you think you would like least about this job?   Answer Question

Head Cashier

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I was first called from a staffing center not associated with my local Home Depot. They told me what position I was being interviewed for with a brief description then asked me if I had any questions. The questions were very generic, asking about a time when I worked with a group, what experience has prepared for me the position, ect.
After I answered all the questions they offered me an in-store interview on the spot. I was sent an e-mail that had the date and time of my interview and I was instructed to print it out and bring it with me on the day of my interview.
For the in store interview I was asked questions more specifically related to the position such as my leadership experience in previous jobs and how I would handle different customer situations (such as a customer being angry and yelling about their experience). At the end of the interview, my interviewer told me that they had to interview at least 3 people before offering the position to anyone and since I was first it may be a few weeks. Approximately 2-3 weeks later I received a call offering me the position.

Interview Question – Name a time you went above and beyond to help a customer.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Head Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Received a phone call to come in for an interview. Had no idea what position I was interviewing for until 10 minutes into the interview. Was asked what hours I could work and "what do you do if" questions. For example, what do you do if you have to work with someone you don't care for. What do you do with rude customers....

Interview Question – All common sense questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was "here's what it pays", take it or leave it.

Head Cashier

I applied online and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Ive only done my phone interview so far, but was asked to come in for an in person interview, i'll update with those questions after my interview. during the phone interview i was asked: 1. describe a time where you gave excellent customer service and how will you use those skills at home depot? 2. describe a time when you were a part of a team, what was your role and what was the outcome? 3. what skills do you possess or experience do you have that qualifies you for this position?

Interview Question – 1. describe a time where you gave excellent customer service and how will you use those skills at home depot?
  Answer Question

Hillsboro, OR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2011.

Interview Details – It started with a phone interview, which is actually the most important interview for them. If you're called in for an in person interview you have a pretty good chance of being hired. The interview overall was pretty average.

Interview Question – There weren't really any questions that seems unexpected.   Answer Question

Eau Claire, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2013.

Interview Details – After applying, if the employer sees potential, an agent calls you from the headquarters for a phone interview. After passing the phone interview, they will immediately set up a date for a face-to-face interview with a manager at the store you applied. I was interviewed by an assistant store manager. Upon arriving for my interview, I had to check in with the services desk so they could page my interviewer. The wait was about 15 minutes, if not longer, due to the interviewer helping a customer, and they told me to wait at the patio furniture area. Finally, during the interview, I was only asked 6 questions, all similarly based in customer service, such as how my experience in customer service would help me solve a customer's problem. She told me the interview went well and that she was actually going to consider me for a few different positions, but I had to go take a drug test first, which I was kindly given directions on where to go for that. A few days later, I was called in to go talk to her. She offered me the Head Cashier position, but despite being told the pay was negotiable, she told me what I was getting paid and when to come in to start, even though I hadn't even said yes yet! I desperately needed a job, so I took it anyway. When I came in to fill out some paperwork and talked to the ASDS (Home Depot's equivalence to an in-house HR person), I was confronted with an ignorant comment about my ethnicity.

Interview Question – Anything about car products, like oil or transmission fluid   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, despite being told that there would be, as explained in my hiring and interview description.

Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details – There was one interview after the online survey/test , after that interview there ia an drug test that must be taken, after they have initialized the results they will call back for a second interview this time with the store supervisor .

Interview Question – How long do you see yourself working at the Home Depot?   Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!