The Home Depot

Updated Sep 30, 2014

2.3

28 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Head Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

The Manager might have been one of the nicest people I have come across in my life. The Manager personally took time out, to call the hiring manager for my interview. He even put in a good word for me before the interview. Great staff and very easy to relate with.

Interview Questions
  • Describe a time when you went out of your way for a customer?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in August 2014.

There were two interviews, a phone interview and an in person interview. Both were very basic and asked simple what would you do scenarios. They also asked "Give me a time when..." questions. Such as, "Give me a time when you had conflict with a friend or co-worker, and what did you do to resolve it?" Another question was, "Was is good customer service to you?". The Home Depot is trying to be the #1 customer service retailer in the world. You will see it in every training video. If you show that you are ALL about customer service, you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult questions are the, "Give me a time when...", because you have to quickly think of a time. We all have many examples but the hard part is thinking of them. Doing this before will help a lot. One of them was, "Give me a time when you did something above what you were asked to do".   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salem, MA

Applied in person, talked with manager, was sent for a drug test and stared right away.

Interview Questions
    • All questions were relative to my work experience and straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn Heights, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dearborn Heights, MI

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot.

The interview process so far was about 3 weeks. However, I didn't get a call until about 3 weeks after I applied. I got the phone interview first. After the phone interview the staffing rep said there wasn't any slots open for store interview yet but she gave me a con number and told me to call everyday to check for open slots. I could never find an open slot after calling for about a week so I stopped. about 3 weeks later I got an email that they tried to contact me and to call and schedule an app for interview. I went in for the interview the end of that same week and the assistant manager said he would be calling a week from now to schedule an interview with the store manager. Will update after the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think you would like least about this job?   Answer Question

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

I was first called from a staffing center not associated with my local Home Depot. They told me what position I was being interviewed for with a brief description then asked me if I had any questions. The questions were very generic, asking about a time when I worked with a group, what experience has prepared for me the position, ect.
    After I answered all the questions they offered me an in-store interview on the spot. I was sent an e-mail that had the date and time of my interview and I was instructed to print it out and bring it with me on the day of my interview.
    For the in store interview I was asked questions more specifically related to the position such as my leadership experience in previous jobs and how I would handle different customer situations (such as a customer being angry and yelling about their experience). At the end of the interview, my interviewer told me that they had to interview at least 3 people before offering the position to anyone and since I was first it may be a few weeks. Approximately 2-3 weeks later I received a call offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you went above and beyond to help a customer.   View Answer

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Received a phone call to come in for an interview. Had no idea what position I was interviewing for until 10 minutes into the interview. Was asked what hours I could work and "what do you do if" questions. For example, what do you do if you have to work with someone you don't care for. What do you do with rude customers....

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. It was "here's what it pays", take it or leave it.

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Ive only done my phone interview so far, but was asked to come in for an in person interview, i'll update with those questions after my interview. during the phone interview i was asked: 1. describe a time where you gave excellent customer service and how will you use those skills at home depot? 2. describe a time when you were a part of a team, what was your role and what was the outcome? 3. what skills do you possess or experience do you have that qualifies you for this position?

Interview Questions
    • 1. describe a time where you gave excellent customer service and how will you use those skills at home depot?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eau Claire, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2013.

After applying, if the employer sees potential, an agent calls you from the headquarters for a phone interview. After passing the phone interview, they will immediately set up a date for a face-to-face interview with a manager at the store you applied. I was interviewed by an assistant store manager. Upon arriving for my interview, I had to check in with the services desk so they could page my interviewer. The wait was about 15 minutes, if not longer, due to the interviewer helping a customer, and they told me to wait at the patio furniture area. Finally, during the interview, I was only asked 6 questions, all similarly based in customer service, such as how my experience in customer service would help me solve a customer's problem. She told me the interview went well and that she was actually going to consider me for a few different positions, but I had to go take a drug test first, which I was kindly given directions on where to go for that. A few days later, I was called in to go talk to her. She offered me the Head Cashier position, but despite being told the pay was negotiable, she told me what I was getting paid and when to come in to start, even though I hadn't even said yes yet! I desperately needed a job, so I took it anyway. When I came in to fill out some paperwork and talked to the ASDS (Home Depot's equivalence to an in-house HR person), I was confronted with an ignorant comment about my ethnicity.

Interview Questions
    • Anything about car products, like oil or transmission fluid   View Answer
    No negotiation, despite being told that there would be, as explained in my hiring and interview description.

Head Cashier Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2012.

It was very smooth, nice and friendly, There was some brief questions asked and basically a feel to see if you align with the company, but overall nice. You are interviewed by usually the department head, the assistant manager of that unit and then the store manager. they all are pretty is going but themanager was a little blah. i guess he is more on the business end of things.

Interview Questions
    • I do not think any question was difficult. I idea is to be honest about your skills, identify if you are a people person and move forward from there.   Answer Question
    No negotiation but was told about employee evalutions and how that would assist with an employee annual raise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Greenbush, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Greenbush, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot in May 2012.

After being interviewed within the corporation I was told that another person had gotten the position. This individual had only been at the company for 2 months.

Interview Questions
    • How have you demonstrated excellent customer service?   View Answer