The Home Depot Interview Questions

Updated Jul 3, 2015
1,952 Interview Reviews

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First phone interview then assistant manager interview then store manager interview then you have to do drug test and they will call you back for training which is really long

Anonymous Employee in Niagara Falls, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot (Niagara Falls, NY).

Interview

The interview was great. My interviewer was extremely nice & down to earth. Felt more so like I was talking to a friend & not an interviewer. The interview was about an half an hour & I was told that she really liked me & that she would love to see me as apart of their team!

Interview Questions

• Name an experience where you had to think quickly on your feet to fix a situation. I'm waiting on my second interview!   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First you apply online, there is no paper application. Very similar application to places like Target and other corporate retail establishments. The next step is a phone interview (from their call center in Atlanta) in which you are mostly asked if you like customer service and have experience in sales, and then you are asked to do some simple math problems (Calculate length, area, etc. Very easy but I grabbed a pen and paper and calculator just in case). The last step is an in-store interview if you are selected. I only interviewed with one person at a time but spoke with a few people (department supervisor, hiring/HR person, and store manager) over the course of the interview. Other interviews may only be one-on-one. They asked about my sales experience, asked me to describe a situation where I had a conflict with a fellow employee and one where I had an especially difficult customer and how I resolved them, asked how I am under pressure and with multi-tasking, and other very standard interview questions. They asked if I had any experience with flooring (the position they offered me was as a flooring sales associate and I later was promoted to specialist). I had none but said I was willing to learn, good at researching, and was willing to ask for help when I needed it. They offered me the position and told me that I would be paid more than what the application/orientation paperwork said (this was true). The final step was a non-supervised urine drug test at a local hospital. The whole process was fairly easy, people were friendly and I didn't feel as though I was being tricked. Be friendly and show that you will take initiative to learn what you need to learn in order to serve your customers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a conflict with another employee. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no salary negotiation.

Interview

I applied for a full time, operations and logistics position and they requested that I interview for a part time, $9:00 an hour job where I would spend 70 percent of my time shagging carts in the parking lot.

I'm certainly willing to my share of gathering carts, cleaning restrooms and stocking shelves. That should go without saying, but don't insult me with a job offer better suited for a high school kid looking for summer work.

I told as much to the phone screen operator, and he was very nice about it, however there is something flawed in their system.

Interview Questions

• Was i physically capable of doing the job?   1 Answer

Logistics Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

Phone interview with a HR/talent analyst, 2nd interview with two finance managers, 3rd interview with senior finance manager - brief wanted to know if I would fit in with the department

Interview Questions

• normal behavioral interview questions   1 Answer

Negotiation

Normal

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Easy, applied online then got a call from the head cashier. First interview was with head cashier, second with asst manager. Then a job offer and began work, the first week was devoted to training. The managers helped to make it a smooth process.

Interview Questions

• have you ever worked with customers before, give an example of a situation where a customer was upset and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Plano, TX).

Interview

The interview was very brief. It was more of availability. They do have training classes for your specific department so being knowledgeable of everything was to come. They called me in for an interview and I believe the next day they called me back for an offer. Again the interview was easy, its an entry level job to get extra money.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Took 3-4 months before they actually gave me a phone interview and if you pass the phone interview they will email confirming a person to person interview within a week. The process overall does take long, usually they always hire alot of cashiers.

Interview Questions

• A lot of cashier experience questions:
      1. If you were the last person a customer come to what kind of service would you provide them?
      2. when was a time when you experience an angry customer and how did you handle it?

Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

questions on cust service. two people watching you answer. one dept head and one manager. first phone interview after a week and then face to face. Low pressure, easy to ace if you can put two words together to form a sentence.

Interview Questions

• what would you suggest to a customer buying paint   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I applied online and was sent an email one to two weeks later, asking me to call a number and set up a phone interview. I called their hiring center and was asked some pretty basic retail questions. When that was over, I was scheduled for an in-person interview at the store I would be working in. I went for that interview and was asked pretty much the same questions. They offered me the job at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you make an impact on customers knowing you are their last point of contact in the store?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to use speed and accuracy in a situation.   Answer Question