The Home Depot Interview Questions

2.3

Lumber Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Parkville, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Parkville, MD

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2010.

Basic interview questions. Nothing complex or out of the ordinary. "Tell us about a time you had to meet a deadline." "Tell us about a time you had to work in a team. How did it go?""Tell me about a time you built something."
    Stuff like that.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation on my part. At the time I was just ecstatic to get a job.

Lead Generator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2012.

Must apply online, no way around it. Took so long to get a response I forgot I applied. After a fairly lengthy phone interview they wanted to set up an in person interview. By then I had moved and asked if I could interview at one in particular "location "A" (I had applied at 6 or so) that was not the one that picked me out of the pool, "location B". The phone interviewer from a call center in Georgia said I could only interview at location B or I would be "tossed back into the pool" until I got noticed again. I made the appointment at location B but went in and found the HR department in location A and told them where I was in the interview process and that I would like to work for them. With a bit of insistence I got in even though they weren't hiring because I was overqualified but have a great work ethic.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you go to college to end up here?   View Answer
    No negotiation on pay was offered. They basically told me to go drug test and come to work. If I were to do it over I would have insisted on a higher wage not only based on my previous salaries, but because now I see that they pay as little as they can get away with and give their friends bigger raises than even good, hardworking, faithful "lifers". I believe pay should be based on merit and raises offered more often if warranted.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Homer Glen, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Homer Glen, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2013.

I applied online, got a call back within a week setting up an interview. The first interview was with an ASM asking basic work history. I was called back that same day for a second interview with the SM to discuss positions, and pay rates, and the same day I was sent to get a drug test and background check. I was called for orientation the week after.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you provided excellent customer service with an angered customer.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Longmont, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Longmont, CO

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

Go into the interview dressed like you already work there. Not a suit: Nice jeans and a clean collared shirt. no flip flops, either sneakers or boots. The interviewer wants to know where you see yourself with home depot in the future, always tell them you want to move up within the company. Always be open to working in any and every department. Be prompt to the interview, if you're late that will look very poor to the interviewer, It is a common issue for associates to be tardy so be there early.

Interview Questions
    • If you and another associate were to have a disagreement, how would you resolve it?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. If you try to get a better hourly rate, they won't budge at all.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Corona, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corona, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2014.

I put in an application and then about a week later I received a call to do a phone interview. The phone interview was basically asking about when did you go beyond and above and what kind of experience do you have. A week later I got an in person interview and there was a lot of what if questions and how you would help the customer questions. There was questions like since you are the last person the customer sees what would you do.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a person needed a fitting with a certain pipe piece.   View Answer

Sales/Customer Service - Part Time Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Submitted an online application and received a call back in less than 48 hours with a preliminary phone screening. Passed the phone screen and then was scheduled for an interview with the store manager. That interview went great, but the pay was only 9.40 an hour...and it was not negotiable. Based on that figure, I told them I would need to think about it for a while. In the meantime they scheduled me for a second interview the next day. After discussions with the family, I had to tell them I was no longer interested based on the pay. They were very understanding about my reasons.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of "what would you do if.." questions on the both the screening and in person interview.   Answer Question

Specialty Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Falls Church, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2013.

I was made to feel comfortable and accepted regardless of what I said about myself. The interviewer and I got to know each other by talking about our personal lives and our personal viewpoints. The interview was almost like a conversation and I thought this was great. I just wished they would have told me more about the politics that happen and especially in the Kitchen and Bath Department with Mudher.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest thing you have ever done in your life?   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed.

Freight Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Janesville, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Janesville, WI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Phone interview from corporate for about 15 minutes. 1st in-person interview with HR rep around 20 minutes with basic questions. 2nd in-person interview with assistant store manager similar to first interview. Received offer a few days later. Process took roughly 2 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • Tell of a time you had to deal with a person with a complaint?
      Tell of a time you were praised for doing great work?
      How would you deal with an angry customer?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Standardized online test of 75 - 80 questions of work situations and basic math...no way to know how you did..
    Then interview in person answering 4 - 5 similar. Interviewer uninterested and distracted. Did explain job well...positives and negatives.
    Then big meeting with store manager to be presented job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Numerous questions asked about solving workplace problems yourself or going to supervisor   Answer Question

Low salary and no incentives

IT Developer II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

Two short phone screenings and a Skype interview. It was very brief and not too technical. The interviewers wanted to get an idea of my background and experience so they asked questions related to past experience. I had the impression that I would be developing, but it was more of a support role in which I would not be programming.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too out of the ordinary. Fairly basic questions such as explain some of the points made on your resume and Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

The job sounded too similar to what I was doing and I felt as though I wouldn't be advancing.