The Home Depot Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015
1,944 Interview Reviews

2.3

Department Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

it was 3-5 interviews with different store managers within the district. The process took around 2 months to get an offer. They usually try to see what store would be the best for you

Interview Questions

• Generic questions like, If you were in the store and you saw someone stealing what would your first instinct be to do?   Answer Question

Specialty Department Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot (Tallahassee, FL).

Interview

tipically you will be interviewed by an assistant manager. They will use standard behaviorial interview questions. They are far more concerned with your use of the proper buzz words when responding than whether or not you actually have the product knowlege needed to run the department you are applying for

Interview Questions

• describe a time when you had to deal with an Irate customer. what did you say/do and what was the final outcome   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot (Tampa, FL).

Interview

applied online, they called about a week later , interview on the phone, if you pass that interview they will schedule one for the store. The process usually takes 2 interviews but the manager hired me on the spot, however they changed the position they offered from sales associate to cashier.

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time you went out of your comfort zone for a team   Answer Question

Merchandising Execution Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Met with the MET supervisor and he asked me about my past experiences. He told me what the job entailed and asked if I had previously done it and if I was willing to do it at a fast pace at Home Depot. He liked my attitude and past experiences so he offered me the job by the end of the interview.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Two weeks before the home depot HR center called, and had a telephone interview. Four of the questions were from an automated machine, then another 4 with a real person. They were "Tell about a time..." and those. After you pas that you get a real interview a couple days later. The people there are so chill, and the interviewer was kind, and asked the company set 6 questions that asked what you would do in certain questions. If you "pass" they offer you a job right there and then. You have to take a drug tet within 24hrs and within 3-5 days you'll get called back to do some training, final employment things and a background check

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a customer looking confused, and/or didnt know what to get?   1 Answer

Freight Team Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minot, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Minot, ND) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online then 1 week later I got an email saying I would be contacted for an interview screening. I called the number instead of waiting for them to call me and was asked 1 question by the Robo interviewer. Then I was connected with an HR Screener, I was asked if I could lift and stand on my feet for 8 hours...of course I said yes. After answering the questions I was told they would forward my responses to my local store and if they felt I was a good fit they would call me. 10 minutes after I hung up with them a Hiring Manager called and asked if I was available for an interview the next day at 9am.
    I got there 10min. early and waited another 10min to be interviewed. It was quick and painless the woman was really nice and I was offered a position in Flooring and Walls instead of Freight Associate. I know nothing about floors and blinds but they are HUGE on training so I wasn't nervous. I didn't have to go to a clinic to be drug tested. They swabbed my mouth in the office.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't really a negotiation, I felt it was based on experience. More than what I made at my previous job.

Part Time Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Bronx, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

i applied online. i got a email to call for my phone interview with the HR department. you answer some basic questions. If you sound like a good fit, they schedule for a face to face interview either for the next day or few days after (mines was a few days after). At the face to face interview you meat with the supervisor and head of the department and they asked structured questions. Right after you get a second interview with the store manger or assistant store manager. they will ask you a few questions and if they like you they will give you an offer. if you take the offer you have to do a background check and you have 24 hours to get your drug test done. if everything is clear then you will start training.

Interview Questions

• How does your prior/present work experience relate to the position you re applying for at home depot?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for Home Depot?   Answer Question
    • Do you mind getting dirty?   Answer Question
    • how do you deal with a customer with a bad attitude?   Answer Question
    • Name an experience were you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Outside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot (Des Moines, IA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, a telephone interview with corporate HR, if that is successful, your resume and interviewer comments are forwarded to the local sales manager. Second, was an interview with the local sales manager. Following the face to face interview with the local sales manager, I was told I would be contacted regardless the decision. It's been 2 weeks and no call to date.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I was an "expert" in the product line I would be responsible selling.   1 Answer

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mobile, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Mobile, AL) in June 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview first and they asked a series of questions that were a little tricky, then I was set up for a face to face interview. It was a very relaxed interview. He asked me 7 questions which were all pretty simple. But the store manager was out of town so I have to wait for a call back.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have that makes you qualified for this job?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a customer asked you about a product that you didn't know anything about?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time where you had to use speed and accuracy to accomplish a goal   Answer Question
    • What's your favorite/least favorite part about being a cashier?   Answer Question

Paint Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in University of Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot (University of Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

The entire process from application to interview was completely automated, mostly handled by robots. The interview questions were robotic standards, and despite feeling as though I'd made a personal impression on the interviewer, i had to call the store back to learn that "they'd found a more qualified applicant."

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you went out of your way to ensure customer satisfaction.   Answer Question