The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
1,371 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details – After application was submitted, I got a phone interview from Atlanta. The next trick was to schedule an in person interview at the site with the asm and store manager. Between their vacations, work schedules, and my schedule, it took another 3 weeks before I actually got hired.

Interview Question – Tell about a time when you solved a problem for a customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It was already above minimum wage and it was only a part time job.

IT Developer II Interview

IT Developer II
Atlanta, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was referred by an employee who sent my email and résumé to a THD recruiter. She called me, inquired about my needs, and set up a phone interview with a future teammate. That future teammate called soon after, asking basic questions about the languages I would be using and how to apply basic concepts.

I was asked to come on site, and attended a 3 person panel interview. Most of the questions were easy, and my future manager was mostly just telling me how life would be like at THD. I was taken down to the lobby and told my salary would be no problem.

I received an offer, however the position I was interviewing for was a senior position. My manager thought I was more fit for an IT Developer 2 position, so he created a new position for the team for me. I was told to wait 2 weeks before I could get confirmation that I had the job because of a company policy regarding a new position.

After two weeks, I got my offer letter and accepted the job.

Interview Question – What is event bubbling?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Lawrence, KS

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

Interview Details – The process was easy. Asked five easy straight forward questions. It was hard to find where the interview would take place. But my interviewer was nice and relaxed which made the process less anxious for me.

Interview Question – What do you think great customer service entails?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online. Typical application, with a few additional surveys. One was the usual personality assessment, one was an assessment for various departments, and one was asking about languages spoken. A couple of weeks after filling out the app, I got an automated call asking a couple of generic questions before transferring me to a person for a phone interview. This section was fairly quick, the operator gave me information about a specific department and a specific schedule, and asked a couple of "Tell me about a time when" type questions. After that he set me up with an in person interview at a store. The in-person was uneventful. I waited in the break room for several minutes before the interviewer took me back to an office. The interview was a general interview for any open sales associate job, all the questions were read from a packet, and at the end he thanked me and walked me out of the office.

Interview Question – Nothing hard, mostly "Tell me a time when" type questions.   Answer Question

Lexington, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details – I had a phone screening first, then I sat down with the Hiring manager. The interview was easy and typical as far as retail interviews go. They asked the same ten questions I had been asked at with interviews from Lowes and Target. They write down all of your responses and rate each of your questions on a scale from 1-5.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for the Home Depot?
Why should we hire you?
(Ok, these First two I made up, but they are something to think about. The rest are from my actual interview experience)

Tell me about a time when you had to take the lead on a project or task. How did that work out? What was your success, what could you do differently?

Do you have accomplishments that you are particularly proud of?

Tell me about a time when you had to improvise because you had limited resources or time?

Tell me about your experience in customer service?

Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an upset customer. How did you resolve the situation and ensure the customer was happy?

How do you do in social situations where you are the new comer? (How comfortable are you with new people?

You have to do a task and your shift is coming to an end. You know it won't be completed before the end of your shift. What do you do?

Tell me about your best character trait? What is your worst trait?

You're in the middle of a complex task and a customer interrupts you to as a question. What do you do? (Hint: they are very big on HELP THE CUSTOMER!!!)
  Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Tacoma, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – internet application, phone pre-interview structured questions, in store interview structured questions. impersonal ASM and store manager rotate interviewing applicants, process seems scripted and feels like your in a monotone environment.

Negotiation Details – what negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Freight Team Associate Interview

Freight Team Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – General interview questions. Nothing too difficult. Received a phone interview with generic questions. Was then called in to a 1 on 1 interview with manager. After that was brought in to sign paper work and computer training.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked on a project that required you to manage your time?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager
Canton, GA

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – telephone interview and then one on one interview with assistant manager. positive feedback and thorough interview with many in-depth questions. overall a very positive experience and walked away feeling very positive.

Interview Question – most difficult question was my opinion on diversity. i had issues on explanation although i believe diversity in any company is a must and a positive for the corporation throughout.   Answer Question

Department Supervisor Interview

Department Supervisor
Austin, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2012.

Interview Details – This is my interview experience for the current position I hold with the company. I was informed that a supervisory position had become available when a salaried manager I had worked under in the past had contacted me and asked me to apply. After I submitted my application; I was contacted by the associate coordinator (HR) and asked if I could come in for a formal interview with the operations manager and a newly promoted assistant store manager. The interview questions centered around past customer service interactions as well as role play scenarios in which I was asked how might I handle specific customer interactions. The interview process was very laid back and lighthearted and only lasted about a half an hour. The following week I was contacted by the associate coordinator who then offered me the position and asked me to come in and finalize the process by signing some paperwork.

Interview Question – Typical interview questions with respect to previous customer based interactions.   Answer Question

Special Services Associate Interview

Special Services Associate

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online and got an email 5 days later saying that the retail staffing center would call me. They called the next day and the automated system asked if I was still interested in the position then transferred me to a real person who asked about 4 questions. They asked about customer service and working on a team. The rep then set up an in person interview for me that was 3 days away. I went in and they took me to the break room because the guy who would interview me was in a meeting. I waited there for about 10 minutes then was brought to his office. He never told me what his title was. The service desk supervisor also sat in on the interview. The guy prefaced it by saying that they have 6 questions that they ask everyone and that it should be more of a conversation. It took about 15 minutes then he asked if I had any questions. I was offered a job as a cashier with the possibility of getting trained in at the service desk because of my schedule as a college student. Filled out some paperwork and was directed to a place to get a drug test and was told that I would get a call when the results of the background check and drug test were in.

Interview Questions

• How has your previous work experience prepared you for this job?   Answer Question
  • Do you have any experience in retail? How much knowledge do you have of home improvement?   Answer Question
  • You are working in the lumber department when a customer approaches you and explains that he is trying to build a deck and needs all the materials. You help him for a half an hour then he suddenly says he has to leave and does not intend to buy anything. What do you do?   Answer Question
  • You're doing inventory that needs to be done in half an hour when a customer approaches you and asked to be helped immediately. What do you do?   Answer Question
  • You're helping a customer find a specific brand and type of item when another customer who seems very impatient comes up to you and asks for help finding a much more expensive product. What do you do?   Answer Question