The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
24 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Philadelphia, PA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview Details – Shortly after applying online, I received an email explaining that they would like to take a closer look at me, and possibly consider me for the position I had applied for. I did their basic phone interview, and the man doing the interview was quick to schedule me for an in-person interview at the Home Depot location in South Philadelphia on Oregon Avenue I applied at.

I wasn't able to give the man a date I was available for an interview, because it was a Friday, and my work schedule for the following week doesn't come out until Saturday night. I asked him, "If possible, could I somehow get in contact with you on Sunday to schedule the interview?" I was told it was absolutely no problem. All I had to do was call back Home Depot's career center and talk to someone to schedule it.

Sunday morning I had attempted to do as he instructed me, and upon calling Home Depot's career center and entering the sufficient information to confirm my identity and my application, their automated system shut me out, and would not allow me to speak with anyone, with some generic message along the lines of "Make sure you keep your application updated online. Goodbye."

I called the Home Depot location on Oregon Avenue in Philadelphia directly and was told to speak to a lady in HR. I had called her multiple times and was NOT ONCE able to speak with her. I was forwarded to her voice mail, in which I left multiple messages and never received a response. I called the store multiple times, and even when I was told that she was in her office, I was told I couldn't speak with her directly because "she's very busy". I never received a phone call back from her to this day.

This has been one of the worst, most disappointing application processes I've ever endured. I have since sought to withdraw my applications, as I wouldn't want to work for a company that treats potential new hires with such disregard.

Interview Question – The phone interview was very easy. The most surprising question was probably one along the lines of "name a project that you've had to do in your life that required attention to detail".   Answer Question

Merchandise Execution Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – as long as you answer with a military persona if you will the basic im a robot yes sir no sir you will be just fine no real in depth questions other then whats required for the job and how you feel you can fulfill their needs,

Interview Question – why I felt they should pick me for the job and why i was worth the salary i ask for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – went very smoothly

Very Easy Interview

Marietta, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2013.

Interview Details – Received a call 15 minutes after submitting online application, did a phone interview, 3 days later I interviewed in person. I then submitted a drug test and 1 week later, I started training.

Interview Question – Not any difficulties at all.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – pay was easy to negotiate by about 25 cents but the schedule is permanent.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Watertown, MA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in August 2013.

Interview Details – After you file an application and take the assessment test they provide, they conduct a preliminary phone interview, they ask you about how you would behave in certain situations at work and what experience you have. If they like you, you continue for a face to face interview at a store with the hiring manager for MET. They ask you a series of similar questions. If they'd like to hire you, they do a background and credit check as well as a urine analysis.

Interview Question – What do you do if you don't know what to do?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there was no negotiations. Starting pay 10.25 take it or leave it

Clarksville, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email a few days later stating I would be receiving a call soon. The call starts out as an automated message confirming you are who you say you are and are still interested. They then patch you through to an HR Rep that asks a few brief questions e.g "Why are you interested in this position?" "Tell me a time you were challenged by a job and what you did to solve the issue."

If they think you are a good fit, they will help you to schedule an interview. (I chose the first available time).

I was scheduled for 7:30 Monday morning. The HR Rep also gave me the name of my interviewer and a confirmation number (I memorized the number but did not wind up needing it). I wore khaki pants, a button up shirt, and some ADIDAS Sambas... nothing TOO dressy. When I arrived, I went to the front desk and told them I was scheduled to meet with *name withheld*.

Within a few minutes, she came out, shook my hand and we went to the back of the store in a room near the break room. She first ensured I knew the position was part-time and roughly how many hours a week I would be working. She then asked me a series of pretty basic questions e.g. "Tell me how you see time management as important in a job."

Essentially, the position I applied for requires you to be conscious of time requirements. You are given a project with a specific time expectation. Details are important, as what I will be doing is setting up displays and making sure products are orderly and visible.

The interviewer was friendly (although I know that will vary based simply on who gives your interview) and she was more than happy to work with me to explain what they are looking for and what they want.

After the interview, she told me she is happy to welcome me aboard if I am interested. She laid out what I was expected to be paid and my hours. She had me fill out standard waivers for them to perform a criminal background check, and gave me paperwork to get a drug test.

All in all, it was a very professional, yet unstressful interview.

Interview Question – Who would you say our customers are?   View Answer

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – I applied online during the month of May and received my first telephonic interview in August. A second (on-site) interview was scheduled during the month August culminating with hiring for October. The process was relatively straight forward however it took approximately five months to fulfill.

Interview Question – Questions were standard in nature for a retail environment.   Answer Question

Burton, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online at the Home Depot website. I was contacted 3 days later for a phone interview. I was then called back and set-up and in person interview for 5 days later. During the interview I was asked a lot of "what would you do in this scenario questions". I was then sent for a drug test and they ran a background check. The background check seemed to take forever, it was about a week and a half before they got the results and called me. I was then offered a position over the phone. I was asked if the pay was ok and since it was quite a bit higher than minimum wage I eagerly said yes. HOWEVER, Home Depot DOES negotiate! Had I known that, I would've tried to raise my starting pay :) They set up orientation for almost a week away. All in all, it was almost 4 weeks from the time I put my application in until the day of my orientation.

Interview Question – It wasn't a question but a roll-playing scenario. I was given a piece of paper with information on weed wackers, it listed possible add-ons and the different types of weed wackers available. I was then taken out onto the sales floor and had two supervisors do roll-playing with me, where I had to sell them the proper weed wacker and add ons.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't know at the time that Home Depot negotiates, so I didn't. They do negotiate, so go ahead and try!!

Merchandise Execution Associate

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in December 2011.

Interview Details – This was rather easy. I applied, was asked a few questions and then was offered the position. I believe that they were just in a bind to hire people. I was also hired, part time, which was lame. They needed full time. Eventually I was promoted. But the pay is low for what jobs/tasks they put you through.

Interview Question – Describe a time in your past where you had to deal with a co-worked.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – NONE

Norwalk, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2010.

Interview Details – It was very simple. You fill out the physical application right there in the store or beforehand online. Wait around in the breakroom until called to the managers office for an interview. The interview will briefly go over your resume, and then I had to go through a few hypothetical customer service scenarios. You are given some information and then asked how you would respond as if the manager were the customer. Very simple and straightforward, very easy. I was given a job offer on the spot.

Interview Question – There was nothing difficult or unexpected, just answer the hypothetical customer service questions in a very straightforward way.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, a pay rate was offered and either accepted or declined. There isn't any room for negotiation, it feels very impersonal.

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. Had a brief interview with a bot. Was then transferred to a live rep who told me more about the job and that I would be traveling to the two closets HDs in my area, and I would be reimbursed for gas mileage over 35 miles a day, which was fine. She then began to ask me the general what would you do type of questions. After the interview was complete she transferred me over to schedule a 1 on 1 interview. I was scheduled to have an interview at a "Hiring Event" at a Devry University 30 miles away a few days later. I was asked to wait in a waiting room where there were Dunkin Donuts and one other guy waiting. The two MEA supervisors came took the guy and before I could finish reading a pamphlet they gave me at the door, they came back to get me. I was taken to a room filled with about 10 tables very close together, each table was other people being interviewed. Prior to the interview beginning I was informed I would be driving daily to about 5-7 different HDs in my area, they mentioned nothing about gas reimbursement and I didn't ask. They were very nice and made me feel comfortable on an interview where I am usually filled with nerves. The interview asked basically the same questions as the telephone interview, what would you do type, (if an angry customer, if your routine was changed, what safety precautions would you take etc) They were reading from a packet they had with predetermined questions. One read the other wrote.

Interview Question – Name a time where you were working in a group situation and your values were tested.   Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!