The Home Depot

3.2

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

The process is very cumbersome. Be prepared for oddball questions as the interviews are situational interviews and the same questions are asked of all canditates. You may be fortunate to have an interviewer who also tries to get to know you. Be prepared for role play on manager to subordinate situations.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time (is how all the questions start)...when you were given a deadline for a task that you knew you could not meet. How did you handle the situation, what was the reaction from your manager/peers/subordinates & what was the result?   Answer Question
There was no negotiation. You are offered and either take it or leave it.

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Typical situational based interview. Must have a demonstrated track record of leading at the previous level and be able to talk through this. Direct and hands on leadership is a plus.

Always ask for 5 K more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2013.

The interview and hiring process took months. After grueling on-line history and "timed tests" the interview process stretched out over 7 weeks. I was interviewed at 2 different facilities by several managers.

Interview Questions
    • The 3 interviews were pretty standard stuff. the most difficult part was the "role play" with the managers with regard to different situations. They want to hear positive inquiries to the issue at hand. The company is extremely PRO associate.   View Answer
    I was able to negotiate. The initial offer was made on the phone. I received an e-mail with all the details and benefits and requested a day to review and consider the offer. They started with a very respectable offer and i was able to negotiate an additional 6%.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Canton, GA

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

telephone interview and then one on one interview with assistant manager. positive feedback and thorough interview with many in-depth questions. overall a very positive experience and walked away feeling very positive.

Interview Questions
    • most difficult question was my opinion on diversity. i had issues on explanation although i believe diversity in any company is a must and a positive for the corporation throughout.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lacey, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lacey, WA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2012.

Slow and clunky. Phone interviewed with corporate recruiter and filled out on line skills assessment. Phone interviewed with HR business partner representing regional distribution center. In person interview with General Manager, Assistant General Manager and HR Business Partner.

Interview Questions
    • None really. How would you describe your leadership style? Tell us about a project where you involved associates and co-workers?   View Answer

Operations Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2010.

Both for internal & external candidates you will go through RMA (retail management assessment) which consists of 3 timed tests (math, business acumen, psychology) & then an interview with an Store Manager & Human Resource Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions of how do you motivate your team, cite specific examples.   View Answer
    Offered me salary---this is your time to negotiate they will typically try & offer a lower salary. I understand it is a business but you are the CEO yourself--run yourself like a business & get what you are worth. A salaried assistant manager at Home Depot should start no less the $55K per year.

Operations Manager Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot.

This has changed a lot in the 15 years I have been here. Now it starts with a phone interview with another following in the store. It is not hard to make the cut if you can use basic algebra and speak intellegently about your self and situations you have encountered.