The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First phone interview then assistant manager interview then store manager interview then you have to do drug test and they will call you back for training which is really long

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First you apply online, there is no paper application. Very similar application to places like Target and other corporate retail establishments. The next step is a phone interview (from their call center in Atlanta) in which you are mostly asked if you like customer service and have experience in sales, and then you are asked to do some simple math problems (Calculate length, area, etc. Very easy but I grabbed a pen and paper and calculator just in case). The last step is an in-store interview if you are selected. I only interviewed with one person at a time but spoke with a few people (department supervisor, hiring/HR person, and store manager) over the course of the interview. Other interviews may only be one-on-one. They asked about my sales experience, asked me to describe a situation where I had a conflict with a fellow employee and one where I had an especially difficult customer and how I resolved them, asked how I am under pressure and with multi-tasking, and other very standard interview questions. They asked if I had any experience with flooring (the position they offered me was as a flooring sales associate and I later was promoted to specialist). I had none but said I was willing to learn, good at researching, and was willing to ask for help when I needed it. They offered me the position and told me that I would be paid more than what the application/orientation paperwork said (this was true). The final step was a non-supervised urine drug test at a local hospital. The whole process was fairly easy, people were friendly and I didn't feel as though I was being tricked. Be friendly and show that you will take initiative to learn what you need to learn in order to serve your customers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a conflict with another employee. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no salary negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Plano, TX).

Interview

The interview was very brief. It was more of availability. They do have training classes for your specific department so being knowledgeable of everything was to come. They called me in for an interview and I believe the next day they called me back for an offer. Again the interview was easy, its an entry level job to get extra money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot (Clearwater, FL).

Interview

Initially applied online. Received a call from Home Depot. Performed a phone screening interview .then in store interview by first one person then another.Job offer made a few days later contingent on drug test.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with disgruntled person?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Flat per hour rate offered.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot (Tampa, FL).

Interview

applied online, they called about a week later , interview on the phone, if you pass that interview they will schedule one for the store. The process usually takes 2 interviews but the manager hired me on the spot, however they changed the position they offered from sales associate to cashier.

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time you went out of your comfort zone for a team   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Two weeks before the home depot HR center called, and had a telephone interview. Four of the questions were from an automated machine, then another 4 with a real person. They were "Tell about a time..." and those. After you pas that you get a real interview a couple days later. The people there are so chill, and the interviewer was kind, and asked the company set 6 questions that asked what you would do in certain questions. If you "pass" they offer you a job right there and then. You have to take a drug tet within 24hrs and within 3-5 days you'll get called back to do some training, final employment things and a background check

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a customer looking confused, and/or didnt know what to get?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at The Home Depot (Cleveland Heights, Cuyahoga, OH) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and the next day recieved an email to call their automated system. I called and got asked a few questions by the system before being transferred to an actual person at their hiring center for a phone interview on the spot. Interviewer was very informal and rude.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Received email communication as a follow up to a phone call scheduling the interview. Arrived and was greeted and lead to interview area within a few minutes. Interview questions were pre-printed and read directly off of a form. I did not receive an offer but the staff was very nice and friendly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tulare, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Tulare, CA).

Interview

I submitted my application at the Kiosk for applying. I was called back within a few weeks because I had 4 years experience working at a Home Depot in another area. I came in for an interview which was basically a debriefing on all the things I had been trained in. I was hired immediately and they put me, somebody who had previously been a department head, directly into one of the lowest positions in the store. Didn't even give me the respect enough to ask me about wage, just assumed I was willing to work at minimum wage when Home Depot started me at $12 per hour and I left at $15. I took the job but knew I was going to leave as soon as something else popped up. Most unprofessional interview I have ever had.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how to use the computer? Have you been trained on forklifts? How long did you work for Home Depot? Ok. (to HR) Get him a drug test.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Garwood, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Garwood, NJ) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call a week later for a phone interview. Was asked fours question then was scheduled for a face to face interview 2 days later. Read question off of a sheet, about 10 them sum survey questions. Was told I would receive a phone call for a 2nd interview but received a call later that night to come in the next day for drug test and paper work.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a customer that looked confused   Answer Question