The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 3, 2015

2.2

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First phone interview then assistant manager interview then store manager interview then you have to do drug test and they will call you back for training which is really long

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

1st interview with the assistant manager asking about your previous experience related to the company, customer service skills, how do you sell certain product to the customer and 2nd interview with co-store manger

Interview Questions

• What do you sell to the customer who wants to purchase a new kitchen countertop?   2 Answers

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I received a phone call to come in and interview with the regional manager at the time. The regional manager was very professional. The interview was your typical interview questions.

Interview Questions

• How does your job experience correlate with the position that you applied for?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First you apply online, there is no paper application. Very similar application to places like Target and other corporate retail establishments. The next step is a phone interview (from their call center in Atlanta) in which you are mostly asked if you like customer service and have experience in sales, and then you are asked to do some simple math problems (Calculate length, area, etc. Very easy but I grabbed a pen and paper and calculator just in case). The last step is an in-store interview if you are selected. I only interviewed with one person at a time but spoke with a few people (department supervisor, hiring/HR person, and store manager) over the course of the interview. Other interviews may only be one-on-one. They asked about my sales experience, asked me to describe a situation where I had a conflict with a fellow employee and one where I had an especially difficult customer and how I resolved them, asked how I am under pressure and with multi-tasking, and other very standard interview questions. They asked if I had any experience with flooring (the position they offered me was as a flooring sales associate and I later was promoted to specialist). I had none but said I was willing to learn, good at researching, and was willing to ask for help when I needed it. They offered me the position and told me that I would be paid more than what the application/orientation paperwork said (this was true). The final step was a non-supervised urine drug test at a local hospital. The whole process was fairly easy, people were friendly and I didn't feel as though I was being tricked. Be friendly and show that you will take initiative to learn what you need to learn in order to serve your customers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a conflict with another employee. How did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no salary negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

The interview take place in the store face to face interview with human resources manager or assistant manager i don't remember for sure who is that lady is some kinda menagerie

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online. There's a quiz that covers personality traits as well as knowledge of hardware and home improvement. You don't need to be great at everything but it does help to have some background in one or more areas. I got a phonecall about a week later and a short phone interview. I was invited to meet with a department manager for an in-person interview. It was pretty laid back and mostly situational questions ("Describe a time when..."). It was very conversational and he was very friendly. After the department manager talked with a couple other people I was invited back to interview with the general manager the next day. The second interview included more situational questions but also focused more on why I was interested in Home Depot. At the end of the interview, I was offered the position pending a passing drug test and background check. (I did pass and I'll be starting the job soon).

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Home Depot?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Plano, TX).

Interview

The interview was very brief. It was more of availability. They do have training classes for your specific department so being knowledgeable of everything was to come. They called me in for an interview and I believe the next day they called me back for an offer. Again the interview was easy, its an entry level job to get extra money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot (Clearwater, FL).

Interview

Initially applied online. Received a call from Home Depot. Performed a phone screening interview .then in store interview by first one person then another.Job offer made a few days later contingent on drug test.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with disgruntled person?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Flat per hour rate offered.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot (Tampa, FL).

Interview

applied online, they called about a week later , interview on the phone, if you pass that interview they will schedule one for the store. The process usually takes 2 interviews but the manager hired me on the spot, however they changed the position they offered from sales associate to cashier.

Interview Questions

• tell us about a time you went out of your comfort zone for a team   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Two weeks before the home depot HR center called, and had a telephone interview. Four of the questions were from an automated machine, then another 4 with a real person. They were "Tell about a time..." and those. After you pas that you get a real interview a couple days later. The people there are so chill, and the interviewer was kind, and asked the company set 6 questions that asked what you would do in certain questions. If you "pass" they offer you a job right there and then. You have to take a drug tet within 24hrs and within 3-5 days you'll get called back to do some training, final employment things and a background check

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a customer looking confused, and/or didnt know what to get?   1 Answer