The Home Depot

232 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Longmont, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

Interview Details – Go into the interview dressed like you already work there. Not a suit: Nice jeans and a clean collared shirt. no flip flops, either sneakers or boots. The interviewer wants to know where you see yourself with home depot in the future, always tell them you want to move up within the company. Always be open to working in any and every department. Be prompt to the interview, if you're late that will look very poor to the interviewer, It is a common issue for associates to be tardy so be there early.

Interview Question – If you and another associate were to have a disagreement, how would you resolve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. If you try to get a better hourly rate, they won't budge at all.

Antelope, CA

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2010.

Interview Details – Job app online, waited to be called, phone interview, waited for call, went in for interview. Asked stagnet questions. You take their offet as pay or you dont. They have others that's willing to take the job.

Interview Question – Do you work well with others?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No not at all. You take what they offer or you dont.

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – I was not convinced when I got hired that i would enjoy this job. I was made to work the over night shift even though I requested. They also pay overtime which is not what its expected to be. I just think that they are an ok company to work for. But, you will just be stuck in sales associate which covers anything the upper management wants you to do.

Interview Question – wh do you want to work for Home Depot   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Two interviews. Hired at second interview. The process at that time was fast. You applied and were contacted in a week for an interview with an assistant manger. Then I was interviewed by HR. Both went well. I was contacted by phone that I had the job and within 10 days was contacted to come for orientation which lasted two days. Was sent for drug screening and signed papers for background check prior to hire.

Interview Question – Typical questions. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online. Typical application, with a few additional surveys. One was the usual personality assessment, one was an assessment for various departments, and one was asking about languages spoken. A couple of weeks after filling out the app, I got an automated call asking a couple of generic questions before transferring me to a person for a phone interview. This section was fairly quick, the operator gave me information about a specific department and a specific schedule, and asked a couple of "Tell me about a time when" type questions. After that he set me up with an in person interview at a store. The in-person was uneventful. I waited in the break room for several minutes before the interviewer took me back to an office. The interview was a general interview for any open sales associate job, all the questions were read from a packet, and at the end he thanked me and walked me out of the office.

Interview Question – Nothing hard, mostly "Tell me a time when" type questions.   Answer Question

Tacoma, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – internet application, phone pre-interview structured questions, in store interview structured questions. impersonal ASM and store manager rotate interviewing applicants, process seems scripted and feels like your in a monotone environment.

Negotiation Details – what negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Charleston, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of the store's HR Manager at the time telling me what they where willing to pay me per hour. I was in college at the time and accepted due to it being part-time and the wage was decent . They would also work around my school schedule and had a good tuition-reimbursement program in place at the time. I also had to go through the Home Depot orientation. My orientation was nothing like today's. I was told to sign some paperwork, given an employee handbook and some other documents, and was given an apron and put on the sales floor to learn hard way. Today, you have to go through hours of WBT (Web Based Training) before you can even begin to work in whatever capacity you are hired in. This is a good thing in a way, in my opinion, due to the fact that Home Depot is a lot more concerned now about managing payroll costs and focusing on custom training people that they can hire at a lower wage. No one will ever get hired in at the wage I was from here on out. They used to hire qualified people and pay them a higher wage right out the gate. Now, they want people who will work for a lower wage and hope that they will work out for the best due to the more intensive training they provide. Some make it, and some don't.

Interview Question – I had to take a multiple-choice test on what I would do if faced with different situations dealing with customers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Akron, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Attended a job fair for a new store opening; very routine with a followup interview with Store Manager and the Department Head before hiring approval. I believe the hiring is now done by the store ASDS and the appropriate Assistant Store Manager for the open position's department. Only Department heads and above are regularly seen by the Store Manager.

Interview Question – Hmmm ... maybe " How would you handle a customer's request for something your store does not carry?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – they offered , I accepted. This is a basic part-time position. I asked about future raises, and I was told they would come at annual review when earned.

Middleburg, FL

I interviewed at The Home Depot in January 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview plus three in person interviews, the hiring manager cancelled the initial in person interview and rescheduled three different times at the very last second, as in I was waiting in the store for the interview to start.

Interview Question – Why do you want this position   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a phone call three days later, I did the phone interview. It was pretty easy, they had me say a sentence in Spanish, and asked three questions. Afterwards they scheduled me for an in person interview which took place two days later. The in person interview was fairly easy, it was an easy atmosphere which made me feel comfortable. Especially since it was my first job interview! Then got scheduled for a final interview with the store manager for the week after.

Interview Question – Pretty straightforward questions:
How would you help a customer who came in looking confused?
How have you gone above and beyond in your previous job?
Where do you see yourself in a year?
How did you handle a difficult customer in your previous job?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I really needed the job.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!