The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
238 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Redmond, WA

I applied online and the process took 7 months - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Interview Details – They had me do a phone interview, followed by an in-person interview. I didn't get hired, but they continually called me for a phone interview for 6 months. They interview They have terrible hiring practices. They were hiring for just 90 day incriminates so they don't have to pay benefits. My interviewer impressed upon me that it would not be likely to be hired on beyond 90 days that very few people do. It was over a year ago and I really hope that they have changed their hiring practices.

Interview Question – It was all pretty standard.   Answer Question

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2010.

Interview Details – I spoke with the store's HR representative. We went through a brief role play scenario where she pretended to be a customer buying a grill. They were looking for me to sell the accessories for the grill, (cover, tools, charcoal, etc). The next set of questions were morality based. One was, "an old lady comes in with a lot of money and needs a drill to hang curtains, what are you going to sell her?" Overall it's a pretty easy interview. Keep your answers steered towards selling the entire package for the job and doing the right thing.

Interview Question – What is one project you have worked on where you have seen it through to completion?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I received a phone interview first, then I was asked to sign up for an in store interview. I was not able to attend the store interview right then, but I attended it as soon as possible. The man who interviewed me was very nice and seemed respectful. I left there feeling good about the interview but I could not start work right away being out of state so I did not receive a call back.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2013.

Interview Details – If you are called for and interview you are pretty much hired. First they call you on a phone interview, and if the lady/guy gives you a personal interview you are hired.

Interview Question – What do you know about the department?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – Easy, first phone interview, then meet with assistant store manager. They will ask stock questions, answer in a customer focused way and you will have no problems. Next store manager will interview, basically you have the job at this point, just going over schedule and and drug and background check

Interview Question – basic customer service questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non negotiable, guess it depends on the area you are in

Longmont, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

Interview Details – Go into the interview dressed like you already work there. Not a suit: Nice jeans and a clean collared shirt. no flip flops, either sneakers or boots. The interviewer wants to know where you see yourself with home depot in the future, always tell them you want to move up within the company. Always be open to working in any and every department. Be prompt to the interview, if you're late that will look very poor to the interviewer, It is a common issue for associates to be tardy so be there early.

Interview Question – If you and another associate were to have a disagreement, how would you resolve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. If you try to get a better hourly rate, they won't budge at all.

Homer Glen, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, got a call back within a week setting up an interview. The first interview was with an ASM asking basic work history. I was called back that same day for a second interview with the SM to discuss positions, and pay rates, and the same day I was sent to get a drug test and background check. I was called for orientation the week after.

Interview Question – Name a time when you provided excellent customer service with an angered customer.   Answer Question

Antelope, CA

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2010.

Interview Details – Job app online, waited to be called, phone interview, waited for call, went in for interview. Asked stagnet questions. You take their offet as pay or you dont. They have others that's willing to take the job.

Interview Question – Do you work well with others?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No not at all. You take what they offer or you dont.

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – I was not convinced when I got hired that i would enjoy this job. I was made to work the over night shift even though I requested. They also pay overtime which is not what its expected to be. I just think that they are an ok company to work for. But, you will just be stuck in sales associate which covers anything the upper management wants you to do.

Interview Question – wh do you want to work for Home Depot   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Two interviews. Hired at second interview. The process at that time was fast. You applied and were contacted in a week for an interview with an assistant manger. Then I was interviewed by HR. Both went well. I was contacted by phone that I had the job and within 10 days was contacted to come for orientation which lasted two days. Was sent for drug screening and signed papers for background check prior to hire.

Interview Question – Typical questions. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!