The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
245 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2013.

Interview Details – If you are called for and interview you are pretty much hired. First they call you on a phone interview, and if the lady/guy gives you a personal interview you are hired.

Interview Question – What do you know about the department?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in April 2014.

Interview Details – Easy, first phone interview, then meet with assistant store manager. They will ask stock questions, answer in a customer focused way and you will have no problems. Next store manager will interview, basically you have the job at this point, just going over schedule and and drug and background check

Interview Question – basic customer service questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – non negotiable, guess it depends on the area you are in

Homer Glen, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in May 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, got a call back within a week setting up an interview. The first interview was with an ASM asking basic work history. I was called back that same day for a second interview with the SM to discuss positions, and pay rates, and the same day I was sent to get a drug test and background check. I was called for orientation the week after.

Interview Question – Name a time when you provided excellent customer service with an angered customer.   Answer Question

Longmont, CO

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2011.

Interview Details – Go into the interview dressed like you already work there. Not a suit: Nice jeans and a clean collared shirt. no flip flops, either sneakers or boots. The interviewer wants to know where you see yourself with home depot in the future, always tell them you want to move up within the company. Always be open to working in any and every department. Be prompt to the interview, if you're late that will look very poor to the interviewer, It is a common issue for associates to be tardy so be there early.

Interview Question – If you and another associate were to have a disagreement, how would you resolve it?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. If you try to get a better hourly rate, they won't budge at all.

Antelope, CA

I applied online - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2010.

Interview Details – Job app online, waited to be called, phone interview, waited for call, went in for interview. Asked stagnet questions. You take their offet as pay or you dont. They have others that's willing to take the job.

Interview Question – Do you work well with others?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No not at all. You take what they offer or you dont.

Interviewed at The Home Depot

Interview Details – I was not convinced when I got hired that i would enjoy this job. I was made to work the over night shift even though I requested. They also pay overtime which is not what its expected to be. I just think that they are an ok company to work for. But, you will just be stuck in sales associate which covers anything the upper management wants you to do.

Interview Question – wh do you want to work for Home Depot   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Two interviews. Hired at second interview. The process at that time was fast. You applied and were contacted in a week for an interview with an assistant manger. Then I was interviewed by HR. Both went well. I was contacted by phone that I had the job and within 10 days was contacted to come for orientation which lasted two days. Was sent for drug screening and signed papers for background check prior to hire.

Interview Question – Typical questions. Tell me about yourself. Strengths/weaknesses. Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online. Typical application, with a few additional surveys. One was the usual personality assessment, one was an assessment for various departments, and one was asking about languages spoken. A couple of weeks after filling out the app, I got an automated call asking a couple of generic questions before transferring me to a person for a phone interview. This section was fairly quick, the operator gave me information about a specific department and a specific schedule, and asked a couple of "Tell me about a time when" type questions. After that he set me up with an in person interview at a store. The in-person was uneventful. I waited in the break room for several minutes before the interviewer took me back to an office. The interview was a general interview for any open sales associate job, all the questions were read from a packet, and at the end he thanked me and walked me out of the office.

Interview Question – Nothing hard, mostly "Tell me a time when" type questions.   Answer Question

Tacoma, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – internet application, phone pre-interview structured questions, in store interview structured questions. impersonal ASM and store manager rotate interviewing applicants, process seems scripted and feels like your in a monotone environment.

Negotiation Details – what negotiation

Charleston, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – My interview consisted of the store's HR Manager at the time telling me what they where willing to pay me per hour. I was in college at the time and accepted due to it being part-time and the wage was decent . They would also work around my school schedule and had a good tuition-reimbursement program in place at the time. I also had to go through the Home Depot orientation. My orientation was nothing like today's. I was told to sign some paperwork, given an employee handbook and some other documents, and was given an apron and put on the sales floor to learn hard way. Today, you have to go through hours of WBT (Web Based Training) before you can even begin to work in whatever capacity you are hired in. This is a good thing in a way, in my opinion, due to the fact that Home Depot is a lot more concerned now about managing payroll costs and focusing on custom training people that they can hire at a lower wage. No one will ever get hired in at the wage I was from here on out. They used to hire qualified people and pay them a higher wage right out the gate. Now, they want people who will work for a lower wage and hope that they will work out for the best due to the more intensive training they provide. Some make it, and some don't.

Interview Question – I had to take a multiple-choice test on what I would do if faced with different situations dealing with customers.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.