The Home Depot Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tacoma, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot.

internet application, phone pre-interview structured questions, in store interview structured questions. impersonal ASM and store manager rotate interviewing applicants, process seems scripted and feels like your in a monotone environment.

what negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

My interview consisted of the store's HR Manager at the time telling me what they where willing to pay me per hour. I was in college at the time and accepted due to it being part-time and the wage was decent . They would also work around my school schedule and had a good tuition-reimbursement program in place at the time. I also had to go through the Home Depot orientation. My orientation was nothing like today's. I was told to sign some paperwork, given an employee handbook and some other documents, and was given an apron and put on the sales floor to learn hard way. Today, you have to go through hours of WBT (Web Based Training) before you can even begin to work in whatever capacity you are hired in. This is a good thing in a way, in my opinion, due to the fact that Home Depot is a lot more concerned now about managing payroll costs and focusing on custom training people that they can hire at a lower wage. No one will ever get hired in at the wage I was from here on out. They used to hire qualified people and pay them a higher wage right out the gate. Now, they want people who will work for a lower wage and hope that they will work out for the best due to the more intensive training they provide. Some make it, and some don't.

Interview Questions
    • I had to take a multiple-choice test on what I would do if faced with different situations dealing with customers.   View Answer
    There was no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Akron, OH

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Attended a job fair for a new store opening; very routine with a followup interview with Store Manager and the Department Head before hiring approval. I believe the hiring is now done by the store ASDS and the appropriate Assistant Store Manager for the open position's department. Only Department heads and above are regularly seen by the Store Manager.

Interview Questions
    • Hmmm ... maybe " How would you handle a customer's request for something your store does not carry?   View Answer
    they offered , I accepted. This is a basic part-time position. I asked about future raises, and I was told they would come at annual review when earned.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

I knew two people inside the store. I dropped both their names as referrals. It took 2 weeks to be contacted after submission of application for advertised job. Interviewer was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. They asked how i would react in certain situations with customers.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

I applied online and they called me back to set up a meeting. I showed up in a button down shirt and a nice pair of pants and they seemed to like that (the other interviewees were wearing polos and shorts and I never saw them when I started with the company). The interview was very basic. What was your experience? why do you want to work for the Home Depot? things like that. After the interview they called me and gave me a time to show up and start working.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any questions that surprised me. It was all very easy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Questions When you did not get along with a co-worker? You will be working with different kind of people. About customer service. Stay positive and do not trash your former employer. You will do well.

Interview Questions
    • Why should I hire you? I have a strong back, submissive, flexible and I have no life.   Answer Question
    No negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot.

I walked in - was told what they were paying - asked if I was still interested.
    then I was given my schedule for the next week
    the interview was impersonal, and very short.

there was none

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in May 2014.

I applied online and got a phone call three days later, I did the phone interview. It was pretty easy, they had me say a sentence in Spanish, and asked three questions. Afterwards they scheduled me for an in person interview which took place two days later. The in person interview was fairly easy, it was an easy atmosphere which made me feel comfortable. Especially since it was my first job interview! Then got scheduled for a final interview with the store manager for the week after.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty straightforward questions:
      How would you help a customer who came in looking confused?
      How have you gone above and beyond in your previous job?
      Where do you see yourself in a year?
      How did you handle a difficult customer in your previous job?

Answer Question
    No negotiation, I really needed the job.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Was called by the head quarters and asked some simple pre-interview questions. The HR person had no information if the job was seasonal or what dept it was in, or what the salary was. I was given a 6:30 PM interview time for the next day. I arrived to the Alexandria Virginia store location on time. I went to the front desk and was told to go to the back room. Then they tell me I have to go to the break room where I sat for a half and hour with no one even acknowledging me. I finally just left.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Was told to come in for an interview after submitting application. Interviewed with a man named Dan. Usual interview questions but he let me ask him plenty of questions too which I appreciated. I found him to be a honest man and I felt comfortable talking to him. I don't think the interview process was difficult at all.

Interview Questions
    • How long do you think a person should be working before they get a promotion?   Answer Question