The Home Depot

Average Difficulty
12 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in September 2012.

Interview Details – Too many last minute cancelation , they were very late , yet the store was fairly empty generic asked about previous experience , drug screening

Interview Question – Asked about my Family status and health History????   View Answer

Reason for Declining – My private life is not my work life , I proved Myself to My Country in difficult time , I was lucky to come back , pay was too low for the area ,

Torrance, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Easy. You have to be horrible for them to not accept you.

Interview Question – It was all made up; they knew who they wanted by looks and a do-able wit. I was hired before the corporate phone interview. Fake. All fake.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, he just told me what I would be paid and made me sign a paper. I thought nothing of it. NEGOTIATE. This puny kid without a GED got paid more than me! Because he was a guy and I have an Associates degree.

Buford, GA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot in October 2009.

Interview Details – Initial contact made through the kiosk located in the store. I was phoned for an initial interview. I was called in for a second interview, offered a position and directed to the clinic for a urinalysis. Upon receipt of passage of the background screen and drug test, I was set up for a Training/Orientation class. That was three, eight hour days, as I recall.

Interview Question – I recall taking personality type tests along with a math test for basic skills.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Get the money going in...raises are very disappointing. Maybe a quarter an hour, if you are lucky.

Sales Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – Most of the time you don't need experience,they train you on the job

Negotiation Details – They just tell you how much they will pay you and that's it,there is no negotiation.Take it or leave it.

Sales Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – I applied online and about a week later received a call for an initial phone screening. By the end of the call, I was scheduled for an interview with store management. I was surprised that I was interviewed by the Store Manager. She asked about my past experience and what departments I would be most interested in. She said she would like to have me working directly with customers on high ticket purchases and suggested starting me as a greeter in Decor, and then put me through training to be a Kitchen Designer. She had me meet briefly with the Assistant Store Manager over those departments. I was then turned over to HR to sign paperwork, schedule the drug test, and told I would receive a call when background check and drug test results were received. About 2 weeks later I received a call from HR to come in to sign paperwork and schedule my orientation.

Interview Question – I don't recall any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. I was told what the hourly wage would be. Just be sure to get clarification regarding what department(s) you will be working in and the type of tasks you will be expected to complete.

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at The Home Depot in July 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied online, which was then followed by 2 interviews, both of the interviews were over the phone and they were fairly easy. Each took about 10-15 minutes, mostly basic interview questions plus some questions trying to identify your character and how you would handle certain situations. But the focus was mostly on customer service skills.

Interview Question – What would you do if your colleagues have issues/problems with each other?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I got a better job offer

Sales Specialist

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview Details – all hiring is done online, you take a painfully long test. if your credentials and your test pass, then they will contact you via phone. they will arrange an interview. usually, if you don't get the job, they say they will call you but never do. If you are offered a job, they will call within a few weeks.

Interview Question – When did you have to deal with a really difficult customer, what was the situation, and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation on salary, they start lower than they used to.

Trussville, AL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in June 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online, was called the next day and given a number, received another phone call with a brief interview (2 questions) about how I had handled certain situations in previous jobs, received another call to interview at store, interviewed with Asst. Man., called back by HR to come sign papers. Whole process took no longer than a week.

Interview Question – Describe a situation at a previous job where you handled a difficult customer and what you did to resolve the situation.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Position was only part time.

Stockton, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at The Home Depot in November 2009.

Interview Details – Initially screed in a telephone interview by local HR person and invited to meet face to face. Interviewed by HR person and third interview set with Store Manager. Store Manager told me that he did not think I would be a good fit because of my education and experience. In short, over-qualified.

Interview Questions

Nashville, TN

The process took a day - interviewed at The Home Depot in March 2008.

Interview Details – Basically, Home Depot only accepts applications online. I don't how they determine who gets picked. I suspect the database spits out candidates to be called. So it's better to include as many locations that you can work at when filling out the application because it increases your chances of getting a call, and if you do get the call, even if it may not be the store you want, if you really want to work at HD, you may really want to consider taking it because you may not get another call for awhile. You can always transfer later. (You'll have to wait 6 months I believe)

I've been at HD for 3 years. I started as an associate. Don't know how they determine new Specialist candidates.

Interview Question – Didn't really have an interview because I was asked to become a specialist because they knew I could do it, but I always get thrown with the "Describe a situations where..." questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no interview really, I had spent enough time learning the position. Everyone knew I could do the job, but because of the economy, on top of a policy change of not offering pay raise with title, they said they couldn't offer me more money. I was told I made more as an associate than what the entry level specialist makes. Which is frustrating because I was still playing by the "old rules". If I knew about the new rules, I would've taken the title as soon as I moved to the specialty department, instead of actually trying to learn the position and become competent BEFORE applying for the specialist position.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!