The Home Depot

1.9

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot in September 2014.

I applied on a Saturday. Monday I recieved a company generated email that requested that I call into this automated number and speak with a rep. The rep asked me 4 questions and documented mu answers. The following day an HR rep called me and asked I was avaible to come in earlier for my interview, in which I accepted. The interview was about 30 minutes. The manager explained why they were hiring and really focused on the company culture and his expectations of his workers. After answering all of his questions, I met another manager, who spoke with me. Once the interview was concluded, an offer was made to me on the spot :). Once I accepted, I was immediately directed to go take a drug test. I was then advised that the background check will take about 3 days and the HR rep will call me to let me know when the training class will start.

Interview Questions
  • These questions were scenario based questions, which were fairly easy.   Answer Question
He asked me what I would like to accept as a salary, I stated between 9.00-9.50, he offered me 9.50.

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Advanced from cashier to special services. While I was switched to working in the new department rather quickly, it took months before my interview was conducted so I could be officially moved and even longer for the raise to be put into place. Very simple process, was taken to the manager office at the end of the work shift and simply discussed my ability and past work history that would contribute to the position. Took about 15-20 minutes and was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions were given during the interview.   Answer Question

Special Services Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Hiring is kind of a long a drawn out process. After sending in your application online expect to wait a month or two for a phone interview from headquarters in Atlanta. After that give them another week or two to determine which store or position they feel you are qualified for. Shorty after your first interview things should move a little more quickly as far as getting hired in.

Interview Questions
    • give examples of times in your life you have shown leadership   Answer Question
    Negotiation was not easy. They have a very cookie cutter set up wages and pay increases

Special Services Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Applied online and got an email 5 days later saying that the retail staffing center would call me. They called the next day and the automated system asked if I was still interested in the position then transferred me to a real person who asked about 4 questions. They asked about customer service and working on a team. The rep then set up an in person interview for me that was 3 days away. I went in and they took me to the break room because the guy who would interview me was in a meeting. I waited there for about 10 minutes then was brought to his office. He never told me what his title was. The service desk supervisor also sat in on the interview. The guy prefaced it by saying that they have 6 questions that they ask everyone and that it should be more of a conversation. It took about 15 minutes then he asked if I had any questions. I was offered a job as a cashier with the possibility of getting trained in at the service desk because of my schedule as a college student. Filled out some paperwork and was directed to a place to get a drug test and was told that I would get a call when the results of the background check and drug test were in.

Interview Questions
    • How has your previous work experience prepared you for this job?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience in retail? How much knowledge do you have of home improvement?   Answer Question
    • You are working in the lumber department when a customer approaches you and explains that he is trying to build a deck and needs all the materials. You help him for a half an hour then he suddenly says he has to leave and does not intend to buy anything. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • You're doing inventory that needs to be done in half an hour when a customer approaches you and asked to be helped immediately. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • You're helping a customer find a specific brand and type of item when another customer who seems very impatient comes up to you and asks for help finding a much more expensive product. What do you do?   Answer Question

Special Service Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at The Home Depot.

First they'll call you, answer a couple questions, if your bilingual they'll ask you to translate a phrase. If you sound answer accordingly, they'll schedule you for an interview. Once at the interview, they ask how do you engage customers, how have you solved an issue and why. If you answer the questions correctly then they'll schedule you for a 3rd interview and basically you got the job and take a drug test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Selma, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Selma, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2014.

Showed up to store and was sent to the back office for interview. Questions where asked such as - what is your previous job experience, how could you bring value to our business, how many years of customer service have you gone through, do you like to ask many questions when you're new in a company, etc...

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you turned a complete horrible experience of a customer with the store into a great one before they left.   Answer Question
    9.50 - I would definitely say I had multiple years of cashiering and customer service exp. - the more, the higher your pay will most likely start off.

Special Services Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

I filled out an application online and a few days later I received an email to a phone interview. During the phone interview they're just trying to see if you meet the minimum qualification for the job you applied for, asked questions about going about and beyond. After that they schedule an in store interview. I met with the assistant manager, he asked me about customer service and what to do with dealing with difficult customers, after that I interview with the store manager on the same day, I felt like I already had the job he just wanted to make sure that I was qualified and presentable. After he met me, he told me I was hired. They took 2 weeks to get back to me after I took my drug test and background check though, which is long.

Interview Questions
    • Name a skill or something new that you have learned that has helped you achieve something.   View Answer

Special Services Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot in September 2013.

Applied July 9 did not get a phone screening until Aug 16. When speaking to the phone operator she let me know that if I didn't hear from THD within 3 weeks they "chose another candidate". On Sept 11 I received a call for my first interview (almost a month later) arrived on time interview started a bit early like 5 mins early. Interviewed by ASM reading off a paper in the training room while people were on the computer training. (They heard all my interview) the interview was "name a time when..." "What does this mean to you...." "how did you...." Lasted all of 7 minutes. He told me the HR was on vacation so a different lady would call me by Monday to schedule a 2nd interview with the SM this time he also said if I didn't hear from her by Monday call her and he gave me her name (this was on Thursday). I received a call around 6pm on Monday to set up a interview the next day. (Sept 17) Went to meet the SM and he asked me my availability, what department I would like to work, what would I like to get paid.... Etc (I'm experienced as I worked previously in another hardware store) the SM told me I'm hired pending my background and drug results. He took me into the room next door where the HR (the lady that is filling in for the real HR) was. She gave me my drug test paper and told me I needed to do it within 24hrs. And I should hear back within 3-5 days and if I don't hear back something came up. So 6 days pass not including weekends. And I hadn't heard back I called and the real HR lady was back from vacation and she said she is just waiting on my background results and it takes 7-10 days. (That was sept 25 when I called). Waited. And she finally called back on Wednesday oct 2 and asked me to come in the next day for paperwork that takes 2 hours.

I went and filled out paper and I'm an official THD employee.

Btw don't be scared to ask for what you want.
    He gave me more than what I asked for. Very nice man. :)

Interview Questions
    Ask for more !! All they can say is no. Don't go overboard.

Special Services Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Home Depot in May 2013.

Applied online for multiple departments at several store locations all in one application. Had a brief phone interview with HR person, then invited to meet with assistant store manager (ASM). Interview was held in a back room where two people were working on computers, including carrying on a conversation, during the interview. Interview questions were straight off a checklist, focused on customer service, dealing with difficult customers, helping customers find what they're looking for, etc. and pretty basic. After checklist of questions completed, the ASM went to see if the Store Manager wanted to meet with me. He didn't (this is rare - after being hired, I learned that the SM usually interviews everyone). ASM offered me the position, gave starting pay, noted it was part time, temporary for 90 days - yes, the two other people were still in the room! My direct supervisor didn't interview me or meet me until my first day on the floor - about 3 weeks after I was hired.

No negotiation

Special Services Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Applied online, received an automated telephone call 4 days later. Called and answered some questions via touch tone. It then gave me a reference number and forwarded me to a service rep. She asked me some situation questions and had me describe how I would react as well as my experience previously. "Have you ever assisted a customer when they are upset with your company's service?"

After a few questions she told me my interview date, time, and interviewer's name. (About 3 days away). I had my first interview, got asked similar questions about customer service, dealing with customer's, previous experience. They have a standard questionaire attached to your folder when you arrive based on your department. After about 15 minutes I was told I'd have a second interview with the store manager. Store manager was great. Said they would like to hire me, just need to enter some background info and take a drug screening at an offsite location. Once it was all back they'd schedule orientation.

Was originally hired as a greeter but they changed their mind and put me at the service desk. It's an awesome company who really cares about their employees as well as the business as a whole. Despite corporate policy we have the ability to make the customer satisfied. Even as a lower level associate I am armed with the tools to help the customer.

Interview Questions
    • "Have you ever been in a situation where fast action was needed?"   View Answer
    They asked what position I was interested in. Offered me a position in the department but not the exact position I wanted. During orientation I was offered a different job because I seemed more suited to it (the original job I applied for). I was told what starting pay was and I was not disappointed so I agreed. I was also asked about my availability at this time.