The Home Depot Special Services Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amarillo, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot (Amarillo, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online the next day, I got a phone interview where they ask 4 or 5 interview questions then they set me up for an in store interview . The in store interview process was fairly easy the manager asked me questions pertaining to customer service and some are what would you do in this situation type. They offered me the job at the store and then i had to wait for them to call me in after they got the background check and drug test results in so I could complete the whole process.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have that makes you a good fit for this position?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Special Services Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in January 2015.

Interview

The first step is to go through their online questionnaire which can be quite lengthy. Pass that, then they'll call you for a brief phone interview. Less than 5 minutes with incredibly basic questions. I think the phone portion is really a formality. Pass that and you'll be scheduled for a face-to-face interview.

I interviewed with 2 different managers on two different days at the store I was applying at. Each of them was about 10 minutes late for our interview. Which I can't blame them much being retail and such. So my interviews had a negative vibe at first. Being late once is bad. Twice is very bad. As I got hired and reading through their documentation, being tardy at the Home Depot is a big no-no.

The managers I spoke with on each day were incredibly nice and genuine I felt. So any negativity fell by the wayside quite quickly. Lots of chatting about what the Home Depot is and why I would want to work there. Answered it honestly: Good experiences shopping there. Has to be a good company to work for.

I have interviewed with several of the top 20 companies that Fortune Magazine rates as the best to work for. I tell you, Home Depot has them beat by a significant margin in that area. The Home Depot process feels a bit automated which I suppose is due to the nature of retail work and how people look on those jobs. But the human side of the process is superior to many of the other businesses. Especially versus technology firms. The managers I've met have been Home Depot employees for 10 to 20 years. Some starting from the bottom of the ladder. What does that say about a company? Great things in my book!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

For non-managerial positions, you start at a certain rate. It was higher than what I was going to negotiate for anyway so I didn't bother negotiating. The store is a short walk away from where I live and that's a huge benefit as well with savings in gas and commute.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot (Chattanooga, TN) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied on a Saturday. Monday I recieved a company generated email that requested that I call into this automated number and speak with a rep. The rep asked me 4 questions and documented mu answers. The following day an HR rep called me and asked I was avaible to come in earlier for my interview, in which I accepted. The interview was about 30 minutes. The manager explained why they were hiring and really focused on the company culture and his expectations of his workers. After answering all of his questions, I met another manager, who spoke with me. Once the interview was concluded, an offer was made to me on the spot :). Once I accepted, I was immediately directed to go take a drug test. I was then advised that the background check will take about 3 days and the HR rep will call me to let me know when the training class will start.

Interview Questions

• These questions were scenario based questions, which were fairly easy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

He asked me what I would like to accept as a salary, I stated between 9.00-9.50, he offered me 9.50.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Flagstaff, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot (Flagstaff, AZ).

Interview

Advanced from cashier to special services. While I was switched to working in the new department rather quickly, it took months before my interview was conducted so I could be officially moved and even longer for the raise to be put into place. Very simple process, was taken to the manager office at the end of the work shift and simply discussed my ability and past work history that would contribute to the position. Took about 15-20 minutes and was offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions were given during the interview.   Answer Question

Special Services Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

Hiring is kind of a long a drawn out process. After sending in your application online expect to wait a month or two for a phone interview from headquarters in Atlanta. After that give them another week or two to determine which store or position they feel you are qualified for. Shorty after your first interview things should move a little more quickly as far as getting hired in.

Interview Questions

• give examples of times in your life you have shown leadership   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was not easy. They have a very cookie cutter set up wages and pay increases

Special Services Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in June 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got an email 5 days later saying that the retail staffing center would call me. They called the next day and the automated system asked if I was still interested in the position then transferred me to a real person who asked about 4 questions. They asked about customer service and working on a team. The rep then set up an in person interview for me that was 3 days away. I went in and they took me to the break room because the guy who would interview me was in a meeting. I waited there for about 10 minutes then was brought to his office. He never told me what his title was. The service desk supervisor also sat in on the interview. The guy prefaced it by saying that they have 6 questions that they ask everyone and that it should be more of a conversation. It took about 15 minutes then he asked if I had any questions. I was offered a job as a cashier with the possibility of getting trained in at the service desk because of my schedule as a college student. Filled out some paperwork and was directed to a place to get a drug test and was told that I would get a call when the results of the background check and drug test were in.

Interview Questions

• How has your previous work experience prepared you for this job?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any experience in retail? How much knowledge do you have of home improvement?   Answer Question
    • You are working in the lumber department when a customer approaches you and explains that he is trying to build a deck and needs all the materials. You help him for a half an hour then he suddenly says he has to leave and does not intend to buy anything. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • You're doing inventory that needs to be done in half an hour when a customer approaches you and asked to be helped immediately. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • You're helping a customer find a specific brand and type of item when another customer who seems very impatient comes up to you and asks for help finding a much more expensive product. What do you do?   Answer Question

Special Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

First they'll call you, answer a couple questions, if your bilingual they'll ask you to translate a phrase. If you sound answer accordingly, they'll schedule you for an interview. Once at the interview, they ask how do you engage customers, how have you solved an issue and why. If you answer the questions correctly then they'll schedule you for a 3rd interview and basically you got the job and take a drug test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Selma, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot (Selma, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Showed up to store and was sent to the back office for interview. Questions where asked such as - what is your previous job experience, how could you bring value to our business, how many years of customer service have you gone through, do you like to ask many questions when you're new in a company, etc...

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you turned a complete horrible experience of a customer with the store into a great one before they left.   Answer Question

Negotiation

9.50 - I would definitely say I had multiple years of cashiering and customer service exp. - the more, the higher your pay will most likely start off.

Special Services Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

Interview

I filled out an application online and a few days later I received an email to a phone interview. During the phone interview they're just trying to see if you meet the minimum qualification for the job you applied for, asked questions about going about and beyond. After that they schedule an in store interview. I met with the assistant manager, he asked me about customer service and what to do with dealing with difficult customers, after that I interview with the store manager on the same day, I felt like I already had the job he just wanted to make sure that I was qualified and presentable. After he met me, he told me I was hired. They took 2 weeks to get back to me after I took my drug test and background check though, which is long.

Interview Questions

• Name a skill or something new that you have learned that has helped you achieve something.   1 Answer

Special Services Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot in September 2013.

Interview

Applied July 9 did not get a phone screening until Aug 16. When speaking to the phone operator she let me know that if I didn't hear from THD within 3 weeks they "chose another candidate". On Sept 11 I received a call for my first interview (almost a month later) arrived on time interview started a bit early like 5 mins early. Interviewed by ASM reading off a paper in the training room while people were on the computer training. (They heard all my interview) the interview was "name a time when..." "What does this mean to you...." "how did you...." Lasted all of 7 minutes. He told me the HR was on vacation so a different lady would call me by Monday to schedule a 2nd interview with the SM this time he also said if I didn't hear from her by Monday call her and he gave me her name (this was on Thursday). I received a call around 6pm on Monday to set up a interview the next day. (Sept 17) Went to meet the SM and he asked me my availability, what department I would like to work, what would I like to get paid.... Etc (I'm experienced as I worked previously in another hardware store) the SM told me I'm hired pending my background and drug results. He took me into the room next door where the HR (the lady that is filling in for the real HR) was. She gave me my drug test paper and told me I needed to do it within 24hrs. And I should hear back within 3-5 days and if I don't hear back something came up. So 6 days pass not including weekends. And I hadn't heard back I called and the real HR lady was back from vacation and she said she is just waiting on my background results and it takes 7-10 days. (That was sept 25 when I called). Waited. And she finally called back on Wednesday oct 2 and asked me to come in the next day for paperwork that takes 2 hours.

I went and filled out paper and I'm an official THD employee.

Btw don't be scared to ask for what you want.
    He gave me more than what I asked for. Very nice man. :)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Ask for more !! All they can say is no. Don't go overboard.