The Home Depot Specialty Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

2.2

Specialty Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Home Depot.

The online info and interview was tedious at best. The online questionnaire was too long. I suspect this is designed to filter out people, but based on some of the people I work with I am amazed they got past it and received a job. Having been a manager at a national retailer I think they are just filling with warm bodies not really adding people who will become long term assets.

Interview Questions
  • How would you help a customer looking for something in the store!   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for The Home Depot

Specialty Sales Associate Interview

Applied online, got follow up call from robot, then was transferred to a person in a call center who asked generic form questions. Passed that hurdle, got an interview set up at the store. Met with the department manager, who asked generic form questions. Decision is made by the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • The usual questions about working as a team, handling difficult customers.   Answer Question

Low pay.

Specialty Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2014.

I applied online and took a quiz to determine my most suitable placement in Home Depot. Then I went into the store to be interviewed in person. The person that was supposed to interview me was not working so I was interviewed by someone else. Later, I had a second interview with an Assistant Manager who oversees the department I was going to be placed in.

Interview Questions
    • All the questions were typical and there were no questions regarding my knowledge of the products that Home Depot carried. Many questions were based upon my ethics, past job situations and relationships with co-workers.   Answer Question
    There wasn't any type of negotiation for the job or the salary.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot in February 2014.

Took all the tests repeatedly, finally go to interview and the manager isn't there talk to another manager, this happened repeatedly with different managers never the manager for the interview.

Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at The Home Depot in January 2014.

Very poor refused to view resume stated my previous work experience is of "NO VALUE" I could not work where i am not viewed as bringing Value to the work place not axxeptable to me

Interview Questions
    • Start at minimun wage regardless of past work experience experience dismissed   View Answer

Told my Skill set of 30 years as a carpenter was of no value to Home depot "REALLY" thats what was said to me in interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in October 2013.

Applied on the THD website, selected every non-supervisory position listed. Proceeded to an online test. Some basic math questions, some questions of a "What would you do?" sort. Received a call for an in-person interview. Met with and Assistant. Set-up a time for a second interview with the Store Manager and was hired in Mill-work.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us how you would approach a customer and what would you say?   View Answer
    None really, I did not push the matter at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The Home Depot in July 2013.

I was made to feel comfortable and accepted regardless of what I said about myself. The interviewer and I got to know each other by talking about our personal lives and our personal viewpoints. The interview was almost like a conversation and I thought this was great. I just wished they would have told me more about the politics that happen and especially in the Kitchen and Bath Department with Mudher.

Interview Questions
    • What was the hardest thing you have ever done in your life?   Answer Question
    No negotiation allowed.

Specialty Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot.

The Home Depot emails you to set up a phone interview. After you do that, you'll get a store interview, and if your interviewer thinks you'd be good for an open position, they'll schedule a second interview. The second interview is just to get another managers opinion, in my case, the first interview was all Q&A, and the second interview was just a conversation, with the assistant store manager taking notes as we talked. Very casual.

Interview Questions
    • In my first interview I was asked what past job experience I had the most trouble with. The question kind of blind sided me.   Answer Question
    They tell you what you are going to make an hour and you either accept or decline.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar City, UT

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

This was a long process; you have to fill out your application online and wait for a phone call from the corporate HR office. You go through an initial phone screening that you answer a few questions from an automated system. Next, you get a simple phone interview from an actual person who I suppose submits it to the store you applied to, where you do an in-person interview with store management. I'm not sure if my store wasn't hiring at the time I submitted my application, but it took over 2 months from the application to the store interview

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic interview questions, i.e. tell me about yourself, tell me about your experience and X job and Y job, tell me what you would do in X situation, tell me how you would handle Y situation, etc.   Answer Question
    I was somewhat desperate for a job at the time, so I didn't even think about negotiation. The starting pay seemed reasonable for what the job was.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Home Depot in March 2013.

Easy interview process. Made you feel comfortable.

Interview Questions
    • What can you expect to get from this job?   View Answer
    Set wage pricing