The Humane Society of the United States Interview Questions & Reviews

3.3

Animal Care Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States.

Getting into the building was a challenge. I had to ask a random person to let me in. She helped me find my way so that was nice. Waited for the hiring manager for about 15 minutes. There were no seats, it looked so cluttered and dirty.

Interview Questions

Hiring managers weren't very friendly and the environment was just weird..

Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States.

Initial interview sat down with ED. Basic interview questions. Easy because I was qualified for the position,

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in May 2010.

When I was hired I simply interviewed (twice) with the hiring manager. These days, HR is much more involved in pre-selecting candidates and managers only get pre-qualified applicants to choose from. This is mostly good, although sometimes you may be missing out on some candidates due to HR's pre-interview which, from what other newer employees have said, includes very random questions that don't necessarily relate to the position you're applying for.

Interview Questions
    • I've heard about some bosses asking such random questions as "How does a bill become a law?" This is definitely an odd question, although being that our organization does advocacy work for animals it seems this is why that question is asked. Otherwise, it really depends on who's interviewing you and what their experience is with interviewing candidates as some managers ask high-level -- and, to me, worthless -- questions such as, "Where do you see yourself in five years?", whereas other managers really base their questions on the candidate's resume and experience. In my interview, the hiring manager had a pre-selected list of questions -- to me, a waste since you should really be talking to the candidate and trying to figure them out as a person and an employee. But, I know many managers feel more comfortable having a pre-set list of questions to go off of.   Answer Question
    No negotiation; I was straight out of college so I was just happy to have a steady paycheck!

Employee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in March 2010.

I found the job on their website and applied online. I was brought in for 2 interviews and also had a phone interview. They did a background check.

Interview Questions
    There wasn't too much wiggle room, but they were willing to work with me to find a salary we were both comfortable with.

Management Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Englewood, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Englewood, FL

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in August 2009.

Three Separate interviews offering little information about salary

acceped differen offer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in June 2010.

It was very informal. They called, asked a few behavioral questions, and then pretty much offered me the job, assuming that my background check went ok. I think they more focus on your resume than anything else

Media Relations Interview

The process took 2 months - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in April 2012.

HSUS strung me along for two and a half months with an interview process that included several phone and in-person interviews and an incredibly long writing test. the interviews were random and interviewers were clearly unprepared. Despite making several comments that led me to believe I was their ideal candidate, they chose someone else for the position, and failed to inform me despite all of the time and energy invested in the process. They ignored several attempts to follow up by email and telephone. When I finally managed to get in touch with the hiring manager, she bitched me out for calling while still not telling me the position had been filled. Completely bizarre and unprofessional behavior all the way around.

Interview Questions
    • Interview questions were highly irrelevant and bizarre.   Answer Question

Executive Director Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at The Humane Society of the United States in November 2009.

Phone interview with several people on speaker phone at the other end. The questions were about 50% related to the job description and 50% out of the blue. Turns out they were using members of the Board of Directors to conduct the interview. A couple of whom had no idea what the job entailed. They tended to talk over each other and not identify who was talking. Hard to focus and answer with relevant information. Offered a job one level beneath the one we were talking about because that recently filled position was open again. Did not get a good feeling about the stability and direction of the organization.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to dicipline an employee over a rules infraction.   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Humane Society of the United States

Worked for The Humane Society of the United States? Contribute to the Community!