The Institute of Cancer Research

3 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bioinformatician Interview

Bioinformatician

I applied online and interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research.

Interview Details – I got invited for a phone interview a few days after the job posting closed, and invited for an in-person interview a day after that, which was conducted 2 weeks later. I was told that my references will be contacted before the in-person interview. I was asked to briefly present my previous research to the group. They were very polite and friendly and asked some questions about my work. I was given a tour of the lab/offices, taken for lunch and had a nice chat about future projects afterwards. I was offered the job the next day.

Interview Question – The only non-scientific question was "How well do you perform in a team setting"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, the salary was already set to the maximum of the band that job was advertised in.

Highr Scientific Officer Interview

Highr Scientific Officer

Interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research

Interview Details – Applied online, got telephone interview a week after application deadline, invited for interview immediately after the telephone interview - had 2 weeks to prepare for this. Interview took 2 hours, with 30 minutes of presenting my PhD work to 3 interviewees. Got offer via telephone a week after interview

Interview Question – Where would you like to be in 10 years' time?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations, offer of salary based on number of years of experience and fixed by HR. The offer was above natiional average and so i accepted it without qualms.

Postdoctoral Scientist Interview

Postdoctoral Scientist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Institute of Cancer Research.

Interview Details – Conducted by the P.I. of the lab that you apply to. I first had a phone interview and was invited to give presentation about my PhD research project to the P.I. and some members of the laboratory. I got introduced to everyone from the lab and was given a lab tour. The interview itself is quite informal.

Interview Question – Most questions were technical about my current work but I was asked what was my weakness.   Answer Question

Worked for The Institute of Cancer Research? Contribute to the Community!