The J. M. Smucker Company Interview Questions in Orrville, OH

Updated May 13, 2015

3.4

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH).

Interview

Standard interview process phone interview then in person. Disappointed in phone interview though. Waited for 30 min for scheduled phone interview....no call recruiter called me a day later and said they got busy and tied up with meetings. Curious about their priorities and how they recruit. Even in person the recruiter didn't seem like they wanted to be there. Everyone else was fine. Just wish I would have been treated with more respect through the process.

Informational Services Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in March 2015.

Interview

Submitted Resume online and heard back the following morning to set up a phone interview. The phone interview with HR recruiter went well. I heard back from HR two days later to set up a technical interview with two people and that went well as well. A week later, I was called in for face-to-face interview. I interviewed with 6 people. They said I would hear back in 1-2 weeks. Several people told me that even if I did not get an offer, they would call me back to discuss what if anything prevented me from getting the position. I was quite impressed by this. Two weeks later I got a call saying they were moving on with other candidates but no reason why or they did not mention anything about this call back that I was originally so impressed with.

Interview Questions

• If you had to make a decision right away with no supporting information what would you do?   Answer Question

Lead Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in December 2014.

Interview

I was contacted a month after applying for a different job. I took a phone interview where the recruiter worked with me to find a more advanced position that would better fit my skill set.
    Two interviews with a total of 9 upper level managers. HR representatives were the least friendly during the process, but everyone else was very pleasant. Took about two weeks between interviews, and a job offer a week later.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1-10, how passionate are you about this opportunity.   Answer Question
    • What do you see yourself doing for Smucker 5 years from now?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. HR representative explained during interview that they do not negotiate because they give their best offer the first time.

Manager, Staffing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in May 2014.

Interview

Smucker wants to be as sure as they can be that you're the right candidate for their organization so their hiring process may be slightly longer than other companies. The initial process to get into Smucker's for me was: Recruiter, Phone Interview, 1:1 interview with several individuals that lasted a 1/2 day. My last internal interview process lasted a month, and I still went through 2 rounds of 1:1 interviews with several individuals.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. All questions have been regarding what I possess today that makes me capable of doing the job I am interviewing for and basically how you deal in different situations.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate anything, but I don't think it's impossible. I think for the right candidate and situation, they will negotiate within reason.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in January 2014.

Interview

one phone interview, one half day in person interview. met with 4-5 people

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation for temporary position

Intern - Hourly Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

Almost four hours long, a series of individuals each interviewed me for about 20 minutes. Entire process was very awkward but questions were typical and easy if you prepared. Was drug screened and reimbursed for gas and food on the way and back. Each person who interviewed me asked the same kinds of questions and had their own copy of my resume.

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in October 2013.

Interview

Interview process was well communicated with the 5 people and times we would talk. The interview was in a guest room where I resided and they visited me. The atmosphere was business and the office was very professional and comfortable. The questions were behavioral based and generic with nothing unusual.

Interview Questions

• What are the detailed series of steps when executing a medium sized capital project?   1 Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in July 2013.

Interview

An HR person set me up with an appointment for a phone interview, and was as nice as she could be. Unfortunately, I was asked to interview with a different person, who was hopefully just having a bad day. Her tone and rate of speech suggested she was bored and disinterested in what I had to say. This was frustrating, but I took it as a challenge to be extra cheery and enthusiastic. My approach proved futile, as the interviewer neglected to convey any semblance of warmth. She rounded out her buzzkill of an interview by explaining that her company had "no use" for post graduate education. I could not believe what I had heard. It makes me wonder if she was just interviewing me to fill her quota of calls. This was certainly not the Smucker I thought I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about alcohol?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within two months to schedule a 15 min. phone interview. After I passed that I was emailed a Candidate Bio to fill out and email back. It asked fairly vague questions like "What are your career aspirations?" I was then contacted by phone to schedule First Round Interviews which consisted of being interviewed over the course of three hours by six different people. Approx. two weeks later they contacted my by phone to submit to a background check online through a third-party company. Next I was contacted to come in for Second Round Interviews and a drug screening. I was there for over four hours and meet with seven different people. Everyone was very warm and friendly and I think it would be a fantastic work environment. Unfortunately, after several days I was called and told that they were moving ahead with a different candidate.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. "What is an area of weakness for you?" "If I were to ask one of your friends about you, how would he/she describe you?" "Tell me a little bit about yourself?" "What questions to you have for me?"   Answer Question

Nutrition Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orrville, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at The J. M. Smucker Company (Orrville, OH).

Interview

After a phone interview, I was contacted for an in-person interview. This took place over 4 hours with 12 separate people. Some of these people spent the majority of the interview talking about themselves which I found strange. Also, I think a panel interview would have been more efficient.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult, or unexpected questions, but one of the twelve different people I had to interview with was a very young person from the business end of the operation who clearly had no idea how this position fit into the organization so that part of the interview was very awkward and apparently unnecessary.   1 Answer