The Lewin Group Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2014
Updated Sep 2, 2014

3.1

Senior Research Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Lewin Group.

Applied online, was contacted over a month later to do a video interview which asked three questions and were timed. Very typical questions, nothing out of the blue. I was then contacted to set up a phone interview and was mainly asked about qualitative vs quantitative research and which i preferred. About two weeks later I was brought down to the Falls Church office for an on site interview

Senior Research Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Lewin Group.

I sent in my application online and was contacted about 2 weeks later for a phone interview. My contact person sent me an e-mail with times that she was available. I quickly e-mailed her back to set up a time hoping she would confirm but she never got back to me. Once that time period had passed, I e-mailed back hoping we could reschedule and still continue with the interview but again, no reply. Very frustrating and unprofessional in my opinion but I have heard good things about the Lewin Group so hopefully this is an isolated incident.

Research Consultant/Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Lewin Group.

HR screener, leadership phone interview, and then an in-person day of interviews with 4 separate individuals.

Interview Questions
    • How do you know how much time it would take to burn through a rope of varying thicknesses?   Answer Question

Research Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Lewin Group in March 2014.

Online application - did some LinkedIn searching to find a 2nd degree connection and he assisted with an internal referral. Initial interview was a 1-way digital interview where I recorded answers to 3 questions for a video submission. I was contacted by a recruiter within 2 days of this interview and scheduled to interview the next week.

Interview Questions
    • Please describe your dream project as possible at Lewin.   Answer Question
    There is no room for negotiation with this position.

Research Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Lewin Group in March 2014.

First step was a phone interview with a recruiter. Next, an on-site interview. The on-site interview consisted of an overview of the company, one hour for a writing assessment, a lunch interview with a current employee, and 3 additional interviews with various team members at various levels of management. Questions were common and included questions about resume, past employment, skill set, ideal office environment, and other interests. Everyone was friendly and polite. The whole day lasted about 5 hours and travel reimbursements were provided.

My phone interview was about a month before the on-site interview, but this was mostly due to scheduling conflicts.

Interview Questions
    • I wasn't asked any unexpected questions. I was given a few scenarios and asked for my reaction or how I would proceed.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at The Lewin Group.

Phone interview

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at The Lewin Group.

I was contacted by a recruiter and asked to interview for a Consultant position. The first position they said they loved me and I had a perfect interview, but they gave it to someone who had many years more experience than me. The recruit assured me they could find something else for me within the company. A few weeks later I was asked to interview again. I was hesitant because the first round took so much time ( 2 phone screens and an all day interview), but the recruiter was very positive and told me she thought I would be an excellent fit for the job. After I interviewed again, an entire month went by without hearing from someone. I followed up by email and voicemail, but was ignored. I found this to be very unprofessional - at least let candidates know when they can expect to hear back.

Overall I found it to be a negative experience for many reasons. Neither time was I able to meet with the actual hiring manager, which I feel is crucial to understanding the job you are being hired for. No one I met with was able to tell me about what projects this position would work on. Both interviews were 5-6 hours with 4-7 one-on-one interviews. The interviewers did not divide up questions, so you end up repeating yourself every 30 minutes and answering the same questions over and over again. They should look into assigning specific questions or hosting a group interview. I don't believe I would accept another invitation to interview if offered; if the company runs similar to the interview process - this is not a place I would enjoy being employed.

Interview Questions
    • "It's 4:30PM and your boss needs a literature review by 7PM- what do you do?" (And then having to walk her through exactly what I would do including approximate time it would take me for those 3.5hrs.)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Lewin Group in June 2013.

I applied online and didn't hear from the recruiter for over a month. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter which went really well and covered the company's background, their practice areas and a few questions about how my background and experience was relevant. I then had a phone interview with people from two different practice groups, who asked me about my quantitative/qualitative experience and several binary questions to gauge which practice area would be better suited given my background. The on-site interview was quite hectic and involved interviewing with five people (two phone-interviews), a writing assessment based on data and lunch. I was not given any indication throughout the day of when I would hear from them, and it was confusing for me to broach the subject as I never met with someone who was in charge of hiring or who was the direct superior for the role. A week after I interviewed, I emailed the recruiter to inquire about the timeframe but never heard back and presumably never will. This is a terrible way of treating candidates, especially those looking for entry-level opportunities.

Interview Questions
    • Organizational "case study" about dealing with about 6 different tasks arriving on the same day with a short window to finish.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied online – interviewed at The Lewin Group in June 2013.

Contacted by United Health recruiter via email to set up a brief phone screening (tell me about yourself, why are you looking for a new job) that was set for a Friday. Was told that I would be contacted the following Monday, but I had to follow-up to get the interview set up with an employee. I took some time off work to do the interview the following Friday. Spoke on the phone for about an hour... was asked to walk through my resume, why I wanted to leave my current position, my experience with qualitative vs. quantatative data.

Felt that I did extremely well on the interview, but towards the end when I inquired as to the next steps, I was told that the person whose team I was interviewing with was actually not hiring at the time (???????). The interviewer mentioned that I was a good fit for another position and that the notes from our interview would be forwarded back to the recruiter and that the recruiter would be in touch. I received an automated email the following Wednesday from the recruiter stating that I was no longer in the running for the position.

The recruiter that I worked with was not very timely in following up with me, so I did a lot of the leg-work just to get one phone interview.

Interview Questions
    • What kind of day-to-day tasks would you like to be performing on the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Falls Church, VA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Lewin Group in April 2013.

Submitted application online, contacted by United Health Group recruiter the next day to schedule initial 30 min phone interview. Went over the basic job description and responsibilities and whether my background was a good fit for the position. Second phone interview with someone from the division I was applying to, standard questions about resume/education background as well as quantitative and qualitative research experience. On-site interview consisted of writing assessment, lunch with current employee (analyst), and 4 interviews with different individuals from the team, each focusing on a specific area (quantitative, qualitative, consulting, education/background). Very friendly atmosphere in the office and the employees seemed very close to each other.

Interview Questions
    • Sharing the most important/significant finding from one of my research projects and describing an ideal project I would like to work on in the future.   Answer Question