The Museum of Science and Industry

Relevance Date Difficulty

Science Achiever Interview

Science Achiever
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry in June 2010.

Interview Details – the Hiring was done from an interview with someone who work there in the higher department. I had to dress professional an answer some question for the reason why i wanted to work there. there was about seven question and there was about 50 kids waiting to be interview.

Interview Question – the most difficult question that i always have is what are you weakness?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – i was able to negotiation the skill that can bring to the museum from my science background.

Facilitator I Interview

Facilitator I
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry.

Interview Details – The hiring process was a delightful blend of modern technology and participatory group interviews. To begin, I applied with my resume via the www.msichicago.org website. Thankfully I didn't have to hound them for a followup because HR contacted me in the next few days by phone. This began stage two, where I collaborated via email to pick an interview date (usually monthly around the 5th). On that day, I showed up, filled out a general application with around 14 other people, and we chit chatted until it was time to move on to the group interview. This was practically a show put on by a few team managers and their superior guest services manager. The overview of the job and it's nature involved participatory questioning that allowed the interviewees to voice their opinions or understandings of the guest engagement policy/philosophy at MSI. The key here is engagement that inspires the inventive genius in everyone. Bonus points for knowing mission and vision statements.

The last bit of the interview involved each interviewee hosting a one minute improv demonstration of some random contraption. Points go for making the presentation engaging, not so much for knowledge of physics principles and such.

Interview Question – The most difficult aspect was by far the improv presentation. We each had our pick of random baggies, and within each baggie was an item that bounced, lit up, twirled, sprung, or had some other physical sciencey thing occur. Our mission was to present this object to the whole group, engage the group through questions and/or physical interaction, and leave them with some degree of inspiration.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – My availability didn't work for the guest services team that was looking to hire from that interview. However, not a couple weeks passed before another guest services team needed a new hire and they simply looked at the notes from my group interview date and gave me a call.

Guest Service Representative Interview

Guest Service Representative
Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview is a panel and group interview. The panel will consist of about 4-5 managers and 12-15 interviewees. They tend to look for outgoing, energetic people and you will feel like your acting during the interview which is kind of why they call it an "audition" There is a lot of role playing and activities which are honestly silly. All the "acting", role playing and situational things they have during the interview is NOTHING like you will be doing once you get the job.

Interview Question – Selling random objects, which they want you to be quick on your feet. You might feel silly but have fun with it   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiation, everyone comes is as a seasonal part time employee. You later have an opportunity to apply for a permanent part time position

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Guest Service Representative Interview

Guest Service Representative
Chicago, IL

I applied online - interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry in July 2008.

Interview Details – I submitted an application by email to a job posting on the website. I received an email from HR about scheduling the interview. It was a group interview of about 10 people where we did improvisational exercises. There were also some role plays and presentations of impromptu science kits that interviewees were expected to complete on the spot.

Interview Question – The presentation of the science kits was probably the most nerve-wrecking of the interview activities.   Answer Question

Program Interpreter Interview

Program Interpreter
Chicago, IL

The process took 5 days - interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry in January 2011.

Interview Details – Show up and be personable with a pulse, drop clean, and you're hired. Ill-advised restructuring removed much of what was enjoyable about the position. They did the charming institutional house-cleaning move in which the position is redefined and everyone has to reapply for their job. Hierarchical outlook means that floor staff are rarely promoted to other departments despite background and skills.

Interview Question – Applicant has to give a performance "How to."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Hired on the spot. Negotiation not available.

Guest Engagement Manager Interview

Guest Engagement Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Museum of Science and Industry in March 2010.

Interview Details – This was a fairly quick process; a few weeks after sending in a resume & cover I got a phone call asking if I was still interested in interviewing. I was and set up an appointment with someone in HR and someone in the department I was applying to. I ended up getting more than I expect however, b/c they interviewed two groups of four in a panel session. While I had asked who would be interviewing me, I hadn't thought to ask if I'd be interviewing with anyone else so that was a surprise. We interviewed with HR individually while the three other candidates waited in a conference room. Just when we were over the awkwardness of that, we all moved into one of the presentations rooms at MSI for a panel-style interview with all 4 candidates answering rapid fire questions on stage, before doing a second individual interview with the department members running the panel interview. The most awkward part? Running through some improv exercises before the rapid-fire session. Not what I was expecting, but not the worst interview I've ever been on. The weirdest, maybe.

Interview Questions

Worked for The Museum of Science and Industry? Contribute to the Community!