The Nature Conservancy Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.2

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy (Arlington, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

A week after I submitted the application, I got a call from a recruiter asking to set up a time for an interview. There was a panel of three interviewers who asked me typical interview questions. A week after the first interview, I got another email asking if I was available for a second interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

Interview

The interviewers were very friendly. They seemed excited to speak to me. They carried on conservation that strayed away from the basic interview questions. After submitting a resume, I didn't receive a call to set up an interview until two months later.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions like tell me about yourself, what are your strengths, etc.   Answer Question

Policy Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

Interview

Applied online and immediately received an email for a phone interview. The interview itself was conducted by the hiring manager (and another individual who did not introduce themselves, even though I had no previous contact with them/had no idea who they were, their job title, or how they were related to the team). Weirdly, the hiring manager spoke maybe twice, while the other person (whom definitely was not an HR person) dominated the conversation. The interview consisted of what seemed to be a pop quiz on the subject matter, rather than anything about myself, my past experiences, or basically anything off of my resume/cover letter. Interviewer asked around four or five unrelated questions before giving me a chance to speak each time, as if they were extremely short on time and rushing through the interview. Finally, they stated they would get back to me either way by the end of the week and conduct in-person interviews the following week. Sent a thank you note and received no response. No response by the end of the week. No response the following week. Sent another email that week inquiring whether the position was filled. No response! Not only is this unprofessional, but it is extremely rude and devalues a person who has spent time and effort in applying to a job, prepping for an interview, etc.

Interview Questions

• Four-part hypothetical technical questions that tested knowledge on the subject   Answer Question

Director of Marketing and Communications Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy (Baton Rouge, LA).

Interview

Conducted two phone interviews with a national director for this regional position. Interviews were long and went well, but there was little interaction and the national director couldn't really describe the full scope of the position for which they were hiring.

Interview Questions

• Can you provide metrics for marketing plans you've executed in the past?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy (Arlington, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online in the fall and received only an automatic acknowledgement of my application. I did not hear anything and assumed that it was a dead-end until I received an email request for a phone interview in February with the person to whom you'd report. The phone interview was one of an undisclosed number to determine call backs for in person interviews. I was under the impression that I would be called back for an on-site interview, but it would have been a switch to working for a non-profit entity, and a salary reduction, which was discussed as a concern (of theirs). I did, after several weeks, receive a very nice personal email thanking me for my interest and wishing me well in my job search--it mentioned salary as a factor.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in switchng to the non-profit world?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy in January 2015.

Interview

Extremely lengthy - more than two months from applying to interview. After initial phone interview I was invited to meet with a panel of four. The interview lasted about 45 minutes with a number of typical situational questions. I asked when a decision would be made and was informed interviews would be occurring the following week as well. Was called in a couple of days informing me another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a board member you did not get along with, or had upset?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy in November 2014.

Interview

Applied to a job posting on their website and was called for an interview about three weeks later. Met with two directors of the office I was applying to for an hour. The interview was straightforward--"tell me about yourself," "why do you want to work here," etc.--with a few behavioral questions towards the end. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• None were necessarily difficult. Strengths, weaknesses, etc. Simply come prepared with examples of times you handled different work situations--"when was a time you successfully resolved an issue in an office?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

Interview

Hiring process through my university. Not through the nature conservancy. Worked not at HQ. Individualized through a program. Was not too difficult, was competing with other local candidates. Could have been more difficult for a full time job position.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy in September 2014.

Interview

I received a call to schedule an interview a few days after the closing date. Prior to the interview, they sent me an e-mail to let me know who I was meeting with and other pertinent information. The interview was conducted by a panel of four people, all of whom I would work with directly. A glass of water was also provided without my asking, which I thought was considerate. The panel took turns asking me questions and they all recorded my answers. At the end, I learned that this was just a first interview and that further steps included a writing assessment and a second interview. I thought the interview went very well but in the end they decided to go with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were technical in nature although some behavioral based questions were also asked. While I didn't find any of them difficult to answer, it was hard to keep up with the number of questions they asked at one time. It would have been nice to have a copy of the questions during the interview so that I could follow along.   Answer Question

Policy Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

Interview

It was a single in-person interview with the person who would be my direct supervisor and another associate. All of the questions were either directly related to the job description, my experience, or my career ambitions. There were no 'zingers'.