The Nature Conservancy

Updated Jan 13, 2015
Updated Jan 13, 2015

3.1

Operations Assistant - Atlanta Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy in January 2015.

Extremely lengthy - more than two months from applying to interview. After initial phone interview I was invited to meet with a panel of four. The interview lasted about 45 minutes with a number of typical situational questions. I asked when a decision would be made and was informed interviews would be occurring the following week as well. Was called in a couple of days informing me another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a board member you did not get along with, or had upset?   View Answer

Philanthropy Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy in November 2014.

Applied to a job posting on their website and was called for an interview about three weeks later.

Met with two directors of the office I was applying to for an hour. The interview was straightforward--"tell me about yourself," "why do you want to work here," etc.--with a few behavioral questions towards the end. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • None were necessarily difficult. Strengths, weaknesses, etc. Simply come prepared with examples of times you handled different work situations--"when was a time you successfully resolved an issue in an office?"   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

Hiring process through my university. Not through the nature conservancy. Worked not at HQ. Individualized through a program. Was not too difficult, was competing with other local candidates. Could have been more difficult for a full time job position.

Wetland Restoration Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Nature Conservancy in September 2014.

I received a call to schedule an interview a few days after the closing date. Prior to the interview, they sent me an e-mail to let me know who I was meeting with and other pertinent information. The interview was conducted by a panel of four people, all of whom I would work with directly. A glass of water was also provided without my asking, which I thought was considerate. The panel took turns asking me questions and they all recorded my answers. At the end, I learned that this was just a first interview and that further steps included a writing assessment and a second interview. I thought the interview went very well but in the end they decided to go with someone else.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were technical in nature although some behavioral based questions were also asked. While I didn't find any of them difficult to answer, it was hard to keep up with the number of questions they asked at one time. It would have been nice to have a copy of the questions during the interview so that I could follow along.   Answer Question

Policy Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

It was a single in-person interview with the person who would be my direct supervisor and another associate. All of the questions were either directly related to the job description, my experience, or my career ambitions. There were no 'zingers'.

Office Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

I had a phone interview to begin with and then waited a week and a half to hear back for an in person interview which was conducted by 2 interviewers. Then I got called back in for a third interview a week later which was a panel interview of 4 people. A few days later I accepted an offer. The interview experience was fantastic...I never felt so comfortable in an interview(s). A phenomenal organization overall!!

Interview Questions
    • Basic situational questions that you learn about in college. The latter interviews are clearly more personality based where they see whether you will be a good fit.   Answer Question

Philanthropy Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy.

Applied online, and had two interviews by telephone. Very friendly interviews, with a lot of information provided by both interviewers on the details of the specific position I applied for and the area of the organization I'd be working in - how it fit with the organization's activities. I really appreciated the detail given because it helped me feel confident about the process.

Another job that was a bit more my 'ideal' dream job suddenly contacted me during this time and I had one interview with them, and they hired me at a salary more than 30% I'd get for this position. It was still a hard choice.

Field Technician Interview

Excellent outreach to me as a candidate. Clear explanation of online application requirements. Reasonable amount of time to notify me of hiring results.

Interview Questions
    • None. The hiring process was very straightforward with all questions relating to the information I submit about my prior experience.   Answer Question
    Not much room to negotiate because the position was part-time and temporary.

Project Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy in August 2013.

Phone screening then two in-office screening - very nice people, quite basic questions. Having concrete examples ready is good. Very nice office. The interview was a 3-person panel where they took turns asking questions. Classic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when you successfully improved an operating system."   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peoria, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at The Nature Conservancy in July 2013.

Relatively easy process. Background check required, though no drug test, so it was a pretty quick hiring process. Interviewers were very nice, answered all questions and were always professional and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • No really unexpected questions- typical "what are your skills", "what do you bring to the table", etc.   Answer Question
    Originally it was supposed to be a one semester internship, but they were pleased with my work and extended it an additional semester.