The Nerdery

Updated Dec 8, 2014
Updated Dec 8, 2014

2.9

Project Manager Interview

Called in for first round interview which was casual and informal. Interviewer was warm and friendly and the interview was more conversational. He asked non-traditional interview questions and did a good job at explaining the culture of The Nerdery. He answered all of my questions without hesitation.

Interview Questions
    • How have you handled feedback that you didn't agree with?   Answer Question

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at The Nerdery.

Process took around 4+ weeks to complete and I went through a recruiter.

I had one in-person interview where they ask a bunch of softball questions and generally tell you how awesome it is to work there. You get the tour and they talk about all the Red Bull you can drink, the free breakfast and beer on Fridays and how the office is open 24 hours a day. I thought to myself, "This is great, but free Red Bull won't pay my mortgage."

During the tour, they were touting all the cool cubicles and the tables lined with developers with their huge DJ headphones on, heads down, cranking away on code. All I could think of was, "Man, this place looks like a sweatshop." There's a few cubes, but those are for the customer service people who need quiet to talk to customers. The majority of developers are elbow to elbow at long tables, working on stuff, and the noise was noticeable. Both guys were practically shouting at me during the tour as we walked.

My first interview was with two guys in a small room with comic book covers all over the walls. One was a change-management manager, and the other a project manager. I thought it was odd considering neither really knew about development except to say they could see me writing .Net in three months of working there - which I thought was rather odd considering I was a front-ed developer. I chalked it up to the sales process and them just blowing smoke to get me interested.

The second part is the code challenge. As a front-end guy, they give you a PSD and then you have to code it up best way you know how. There aren't a lot of rules, and it's pretty open to discussion. The PSD is pretty straight forward. Nothing incredibly challenging, they're just looking for your coding technique, how you handle layout issues and making sure stuff works in IE6. Yes, you read that right, your code needs to work in IE6 and with Javascript turned off (although they won't tell you about the JS part up front. I had a buddy let me know in advance, so I was prepared).

This is the part where it gets weird.

I crank out their site, put it up on my personal site, and send them back an email with the link and some general information about some of the things I did and why I did them.

A week goes by, nothing. I figure, "Eh, whatever, they didn't like it, no biggie." then my phone rings the following Monday. It's the recruiter. She says they called and I passed the code challenge, and they would be calling me later in the afternoon to set up the final interview. She also tells me what they're going to offer me. It's a total low ball offer. I mean, it's close to 20K less than what I'm currently making. I pause for a while, then the recruiter asks, "Is it too low?" So I tell her to call the Nerdery recruiter back and let her know they need to come up and make an effort to close the gap. $5-10K less I can maybe do. More than $20K? No way I'm going that low.

Sure thing, recruiter says she'll call them and then get back to me tomorrow. At this point, I'm already moving on. Thinking to myself, "Jesus, no way I can do that, better keep looking and keep my current gig a while longer." Then, at 6:30pm, I get an email from a senior developer telling me I flunked the code challenge. And no, it wasn't, "Sorry you didn't pass the challenge, better luck next time." the title of the email was, "Nerdery Code Challenge: FLUNKED" so now I'm a little pissed and open it up.

The whole email was essentially nit picking my style. "You used ID's in these two places, we only use classes for everything here at the Nerdery." "Why did you use the hex value for this color? We use RGB values." Why did you use pixels for measurements? We use EM's for everything here." It was really weak if you ask me.

It really felt like they gave me the passing grade, then my recruiter called and said their offer was too low and then they rejected my code challenge to save face. Of course the next morning the recruiter called and said they weren't going to go any higher with their offer and so the last interview was cancelled.

The funny part is the Nerdery recruiter has called me several times since wondering if I was interested in going through the process again.

Interview Questions
    • What language would you like to learn?   View Answer

Low balled me on my salary. It was close to $20K less than what I was currently making.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at The Nerdery.

Screening In Person
      _Hour 1:1 with HR (Nerd advocate)
      _Do not dress up, very relaxed
      _Answered basic job/experience related questions

2nd Round Written N.A.T.
      _take-home written skills assessment based on a scenario. I have never taken an assessment like this for a job considering I've been in account management for 7 years. The process made me realize that the role they were thinking about hiring me for probably wasn't one that I would be happy with since it was so project management based and last client management.

IOS Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The Nerdery.

I had an initial call with the recruiter which asked some simple programming questions and some questions about my background. After this I was sent the Nerdery Assessment Test. It required development of a rather simple app. It took a few hours to do and was pretty simple.

After I submitted the test I was contacted about an in-person interview. This interview was a review of the assessment test and a few questions about iOS development.

I received an offer a few days later that was laughably low and rather insulting based on experience and what the market for iOS developer is paying.

If you have an extra 10 hours to spend creating a pointless app and interviewing only to get lowballed then I would recommend applying. But if you want to waste your time only to be offered 25% lower than you are currently making, then The Nerdery interview might be for you!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was too difficult if you are an experienced developer.   Answer Question

The offered 25% lower than my current salary.

Senior Front End Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The Nerdery.

I can’t say I had a good experience with their interview process. To me, the hiring process is belittling and revolting for senior level developers. The HR/Recruiting department is charming and friendly. However, the interviewers (or code reviewers) are pretentious and belittling. You will spend a lot of time showing them your abilities without any accolades and just for the reviewer to copy and paste critiques he/she read from the latest development blogs.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online – interviewed at The Nerdery in July 2014.

After an initial phone call, I was e-mailed a zip file with several documents and asked to do a two part Solutions Engineer Challenge. This challenge took a long time to do and was very time consuming. I had a phone call with someone who I assume was in Solutions Engineering. Then I had to do part two of the challenge based on his feedback of part one which was also very time consuming. After that they scored your application and then let you know if you were going to be asked to do a face to face interview. My impression of the company is that there are some cool parts of it, but there is also a great deal of cultural dysfunction because it seemed like they didn't know what they were looking for as they dealt with me during the interview process. This is both insulting to those applying and harmful to their industry reputation. I would have thought better of the process if they would have at least called me in for an interview, or if they could have taken me out of their interview process a lot sooner so as not to waste my time or theirs. Big thumbs down for The Nerdery.

Interview Questions
    • Here is a fake client profile (given a zip file with a 39 slide wireframe deck and several other fake documents) Please look at the materials we've provided and develop a list of questions to ask the client so that you can create an estimate for their project. Someone from The Nerdery then calls you back to discuss your questions. Based on the answers they give you, you are then expected to create an estimate based on one of the estimate templates they provide.   View Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at The Nerdery.

I got paired with a talent advocate that looked out for me through the whole process. He did an initial phone interview where we just chatted about my interests and experience in design and technology. He gave me a heads-up on what the next interviewers would look for, and I felt prepared for the panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • At one point we talked about some assumptions that I might have made regarding the hypothetical smartphone users of the project I was asked to design.   View Answer

They had a position available in Minneapolis, but I chose to stay in Kansas City.

Software Project Manager Interview

Had an informal 'get to know you' interview. Was relaxed and comfortable. Discussed my experiences to see how I would fit in company and position. She mentioned another position I would possibly be a better fit for which I really appreciated. I liked the honesty.

Interview Questions
    • What is your salary requirements. It is good to do your research first.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

The process took a weekinterviewed at The Nerdery.

I was initially contacted by a "nerd hunter" who saw my profile on linked in. He set up a phone interview between the two of us. I was pleased with how the phone call went. At the end of it the nerd hunter invited me to apply online and reference him on the application.
    Within a day, I received an email inviting me to an in-person interview with an onsite screener. Right from the start, that interview seemed like we were a bad fit, and I was not invited on to the next step. The work environment seemed casual; several employees had their dogs onsite. Subsequently, The Nerdery hosted a UXPA meeting that I attended. Only then did I realize what exciting user research work is done there and what a good process they have for UX design.

Interview Questions
    • The questions in the onsite screening were all very perfunctory such as "tell me what kinds of user research you have done" and "why are you looking for a new position".   Answer Question

Software Project Manager Interview

Intense and long but yet hired really under qualified PMs

Interview Questions
    SLOW and weren't willing to budge, even though under paid.