The Nerdery

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

User Experience Designer

I applied online and interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview Details – I got paired with a talent advocate that looked out for me through the whole process. He did an initial phone interview where we just chatted about my interests and experience in design and technology. He gave me a heads-up on what the next interviewers would look for, and I felt prepared for the panel interview.

Interview Question – At one point we talked about some assumptions that I might have made regarding the hypothetical smartphone users of the project I was asked to design.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – They had a position available in Minneapolis, but I chose to stay in Kansas City.

Interviewed at The Nerdery

Interview Details – Had an informal 'get to know you' interview. Was relaxed and comfortable. Discussed my experiences to see how I would fit in company and position. She mentioned another position I would possibly be a better fit for which I really appreciated. I liked the honesty.

Interview Question – What is your salary requirements. It is good to do your research first.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Software Developer
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nerdery in April 2012.

Interview Details – After an initial screening with one of the Nerdery's dedicated, on-staff recruiters (no third parties), I received a code challenge to complete. The challenge took 10 or so hours of development but gave me an opportunity to show off what I know. It was the best interview experience I've had because we talked about real code, code I had written. There weren't any trick questions or puzzles.

Interview Question – The most difficult question you'll be asked is to defend your code or talk about how you'd organize a project (for senior level positions). There isn't necessarily a right answer but you need to know what you're talking about.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bloomington, MN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by a "nerd hunter" who saw my profile on linked in. He set up a phone interview between the two of us. I was pleased with how the phone call went. At the end of it the nerd hunter invited me to apply online and reference him on the application.
Within a day, I received an email inviting me to an in-person interview with an onsite screener. Right from the start, that interview seemed like we were a bad fit, and I was not invited on to the next step. The work environment seemed casual; several employees had their dogs onsite. Subsequently, The Nerdery hosted a UXPA meeting that I attended. Only then did I realize what exciting user research work is done there and what a good process they have for UX design.

Interview Question – The questions in the onsite screening were all very perfunctory such as "tell me what kinds of user research you have done" and "why are you looking for a new position".   Answer Question

Bloomington, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nerdery in November 2012.

Interview Details – Interview 1: Meet and greet interview - to make sure you're not a crazy person.
Software Project Manager Challenge: Create a project plan that will be scored by current Nerdery PM personnel.
Interview 2: Only scheduled if you pass the challenge.

Interview Question – In the directions for the challenge, it states that your reasoning and the methods you apply to the challenge will be the basis for the 2nd interview, if you pass. This was not the case. The 2nd interview was a litany of how you work with other people, how assertive you can be with difficult clients and how you would "motivate" teammates to get the job done on time and under budget.   View Answer

Interviewed at The Nerdery

Interview Details – Intense and long but yet hired really under qualified PMs

Interview Question – more process   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – SLOW and weren't willing to budge, even though under paid.

Very Easy Interview

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Dayton, OH

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview Details – An HR called for first round, asked some normal questions. Didn't make to second round

Interview Question – No difficult questions.   Answer Question

Developer II Interview

Developer II
Kansas City, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nerdery in February 2014.

Interview Details – I was extremely impressed with this interview process. It took a total of 2 weeks and the recruiter was always quick to send communications after each stage of the process!

I received an email asking for a phone interview the day after I submitted my application online. The phone interview was the following Monday and the recruiter and I had a pretty casual conversation about my past experience with java and software development. He asked why I wanted to work at the Nerdery, whether I've ever been the lead developer of a team and how I handled it, and what I do outside of work. After the interview the recruiter sent me an email containing the details of my NAT (Nerdery Assessment Test) project.

The NAT had a pretty simple specification. I was required to create a web application (won't give too many details). The project was expected to take at least 10 hours. After completing the project, I was instructed to email them a zip file of the code and host a live demo for them to test. I didn't have a web server, so I asked my assigned reviewer if he had any suggestions and he kindly sent me a list of free services for hosting java WARs.

After I submitted the code and demo to the Nerdery, they took a couple days to review the project and then scheduled a code review interview which was conducted via google hangouts. The code review was friendly, but a little more stern than previous interactions. This isn't to be taken personally, they just showed me where I made mistakes and how I could have improved in some places. I was impressed with the ability to conduct such an interview over google hangouts.

Two hours after the code review interview, I received an email offering me a job, which I accepted.

Interview Question – I did not find any questions to be difficult or tricky   Answer Question

User Experience Designer

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview Details – An HR emailed me to schedule a phone interview, I only made the first round.

Interview Question – There were just general interview questions: background, skills, tools... The only technical one was about usability.   View Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Senior Developer
Bloomington, MN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at The Nerdery.

Interview Details – Received a connection on LinkedIn from one of the folks at the Nerdery asking me if I’m interested in a position. That followed by a 30 min phone interview asking me about my experience and resume. Once that ended, I was sent the requirements for their NAT. This is a coding assignment for which you need to write a JAVA application from scratch. My particular assignment was to write a web app that managed game inventory—add new games, vote for them and such. The requirement states the work will take 10hrs, but it also states that your competency will be judged on your work—so you can make it as complex as you like—and thus spend more time (UNPAID). A code review by employees is to follow. The requirements are well written. Also, they expect you to send them a URL to your code running on your server.

I completed my assignment. I don’t have a public server so I sent in the code in a .JAR that contained both classes and source code with detailed instructions on how to run it. My code used the Spring framework, included a bootstrap servlet that created tables, initialized data on startup and cleaned up data on shutdown. Log4J style logging was used for all caught exceptions and debug events. I picked up an embeddable H2 DB that the code used for persistence. The DB was imbedded as a .JAR with the code and the code was just able to use it with no extra config. The DB interactions used “transactions” with rollbacks on errors and commits on success. The UI used JavaScript as well as JSTL to render data. The app also manipulated browser cookies. All worked with no errors. After not getting a reply for a week, I checked in on my status and got the following review of my submission:

“This submission was developed with Spring MVC, which is our preferred Java framework and is definitely a positive. Additionally, it breaks functionality down using Object Oriented patterns. However, there are a number of problems that prevent this from being a passing submission.

First, deployment was more complicated than necessary. The best way to deliver a Java web application is with a web archive (.war) file, not project source code. Further, the instructions don’t specify which IDE should be used, although it appears from previous comments that it should be some version of Eclipse.

Secondly, there were a number of practices that are problematic:

1. The DAO layer generates SQL with string concatenation, which could cause SQL injection issues.
2. Classes are in packages that don’t follow the Java naming convention (e.g. main.java.com.controllers).
3. The main controller (XBoxGameInventoryController) uses an error handling mechanism (catch (Exception e), then present a generic message to the user) that will mask bugs and make maintenance difficult.”

Interview Question – Not a question, but in my 12 years experience, I don't remember having a coding assignment to get a job even when I was at entry level.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at The Nerdery

Worked for The Nerdery? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at The Nerdery interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by The Nerdery employees and interview candidates.