The New York Botanical Garden Interview Questions

Updated Oct 23, 2014
Updated Oct 23, 2014

2.8

Bilingual Interpretive Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at The New York Botanical Garden in September 2014.

I applied for a special position for an upcoming Frida Kahlo show that will be happening in the next yeat at the Botanical Garden. It was a grant funded two year position and was an initiative that was being introduced at the institution as there was no formal Spanish language programming there. I applied for the position and was contacted by HR in about five days. I was pre-screened over the phone and was asked to come in for an interview three days later. I was a little floored that I was asked to bring with me three letters of reference with signatures alongside my academic undergraduate and graduate transcripts, things that all take a substantial amount of time to obtain. It seemed like a lot of things to ask for. On the day of the interview, I once again met with HR where I was asked in-depth questions about my qualifications and my desire to work in the position. Upon the completion of that component, I met with the Associate Vice President for Exhibitions and Public Engagement as well as an Exhibitions Manager. The interview was cordial and went well, but I felt that the interview was not as assessment of my skills, but rather an aggressive dissection of my resume and experiences. It was actually a little off-putting. Even so, my expertise in the subject matter didn't make me flinch and i answered all of her questions competently and confidently. Upon the completion of the interview, I was given a written assessment where I was supposed to write a wall label for a Frida Kahlo work and then translate it in Spanish. About 10 days later, I was called back in for a second interview (by that time I had submitted a writing sample that was asked of me). The second interview consisted of a committee of four members, the first two original staff members and a member from the Education Department and Library. I felt that the interview was not a collegial experience, but again completely aggressive in how it was handled. I thought that some questions were not appropriate and it appeared as if they were in attack mode.

Interview Questions
    • The unexpected question was what did I think about Mexican culture?   View Answer

Retail Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at The New York Botanical Garden.

Had phone call with HR. Then met for in person interview with HR. The same day I spoke with what would be my direct supervisor. Very quick process.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. Pretty standard, what would you do if a customer did x.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at The New York Botanical Garden in August 2013.

There was a phone interview, they requested a writing sample, an interview with HR, a skills test, an interview with someone in the marketing department, a writing assignment, an interview with the head of the marketing department. This took roughly two months but resulted in no job offer. Seemed like a pretty elaborate process for a low paying entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • Was surprised by a request for a 3rd writing assignment despite submitting a writing sample and completing writing assignment during the interview process.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at The New York Botanical Garden in June 2013.

Interview asked a series of questions, Im assuming from a list. The interviewer ook heavy notes on what I said. The interviewer also asked some of the same questions that I was screened for through the phone interview. After, there was a writing competency test.

Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at The New York Botanical Garden in June 2011.

I was called for an interview after submitting my resume online. I was tested on MicroSoft Word & Excel and interviewed by human resources. I was then called back for a second interview with the Vice President of Markting. The next day I was offered the job.