The New York Botanical Garden Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

2.7

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at The New York Botanical Garden in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for a special position for an upcoming Frida Kahlo show that will be happening in the next yeat at the Botanical Garden. It was a grant funded two year position and was an initiative that was being introduced at the institution as there was no formal Spanish language programming there. I applied for the position and was contacted by HR in about five days. I was pre-screened over the phone and was asked to come in for an interview three days later. I was a little floored that I was asked to bring with me three letters of reference with signatures alongside my academic undergraduate and graduate transcripts, things that all take a substantial amount of time to obtain. It seemed like a lot of things to ask for. On the day of the interview, I once again met with HR where I was asked in-depth questions about my qualifications and my desire to work in the position. Upon the completion of that component, I met with the Associate Vice President for Exhibitions and Public Engagement as well as an Exhibitions Manager. The interview was cordial and went well, but I felt that the interview was not as assessment of my skills, but rather an aggressive dissection of my resume and experiences. It was actually a little off-putting. Even so, my expertise in the subject matter didn't make me flinch and i answered all of her questions competently and confidently. Upon the completion of the interview, I was given a written assessment where I was supposed to write a wall label for a Frida Kahlo work and then translate it in Spanish. About 10 days later, I was called back in for a second interview (by that time I had submitted a writing sample that was asked of me). The second interview consisted of a committee of four members, the first two original staff members and a member from the Education Department and Library. I felt that the interview was not a collegial experience, but again completely aggressive in how it was handled. I thought that some questions were not appropriate and it appeared as if they were in attack mode.

Interview Questions

• The unexpected question was what did I think about Mexican culture?   1 Answer

Retail Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at The New York Botanical Garden.

Interview

Had phone call with HR. Then met for in person interview with HR. The same day I spoke with what would be my direct supervisor. Very quick process.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Pretty standard, what would you do if a customer did x.   Answer Question

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The New York Botanical Garden (Bronx, NY) in August 2013.

Interview

There was a phone interview, they requested a writing sample, an interview with HR, a skills test, an interview with someone in the marketing department, a writing assignment, an interview with the head of the marketing department. This took roughly two months but resulted in no job offer. Seemed like a pretty elaborate process for a low paying entry level position.

Interview Questions

• Was surprised by a request for a 3rd writing assignment despite submitting a writing sample and completing writing assignment during the interview process.   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The New York Botanical Garden in June 2013.

Interview

Interview asked a series of questions, Im assuming from a list. The interviewer ook heavy notes on what I said. The interviewer also asked some of the same questions that I was screened for through the phone interview. After, there was a writing competency test.

Administrative Assistant to Vice President of Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The New York Botanical Garden (Bronx, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

I was called for an interview after submitting my resume online. I was tested on MicroSoft Word & Excel and interviewed by human resources. I was then called back for a second interview with the Vice President of Markting. The next day I was offered the job.

Negotiation

Explainer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The New York Botanical Garden (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Not bad, quiet lowkey. They had different people interview on different days. My interviewer was very nice and asked simple questions. The other people i knew who applied didn't have the same person as me but their experience was similarly positive. They are really friendly and easy to interview with. Overall, it was very good. I really liked it and so I took up the offer.